The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Lames | February 17, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

So what is the feeling results wise with this Calgary series?

To me the minimum requirement this would be successful one is if Canucks won 3 games in regulation and 1 OTL. Since Vancouver is also trying to catch Calgary. So to me going 2-1-1 is still a little disappointing since it means Vancouver didn't gain much ground against The Flames in the standings.

Is it disappointing considering we just got swapped by mtl and tor? 

Baby 

Steps

• Vintage 4

4 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

He is a GM with a team of players. All pros.  It would be unacceptable to treat a serious pro who was just signed a year ago as a UFA to 5 years in that fashion.  It's like trading him. Doesn't happen.

There's a reason he signed with a M-NTC. Sure, he got terrm, but 'Dim Jim' was smart enough to include the M-NTC to have the option of exposing Myers for the ED, if need be. The first year of the agreement was a NMC. 

7 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Myers had a solid game as most of our guys tonight. 

Serious question. Which 3 dmen do we protect in the entry draft and who is exempt? 

Schmidt, Myers, OJ...if we can.  At this point we still need to expose one of Myers or Schmidt ... QHs is exempt.  If I was JB i'd be trying to extend Benn and expose him and keep these three, plus QHs that's a solid top four.

4 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

His giveaways were terrible, especially against Toronto. Also his shot from the point was not good and we got burned a couple of times because of it. I think Joulevi should play over him because he is our a top 5 pick and has a higher potential.

Chatfield vs OJ, there really is no comparison.  OJ didn't have much time at the start, and folks grumbled about that - because he looks like a 7 year vet out there most plays does he not?   Vlasic was his comparable by THN during the draft.   The top defensive defenseman in the game for a decade, regularly in THN annual top 50 player ranking ... That would be considered his peak.   Tanev replacement with more offense...two-way defensive defenseaman.    Chatfield wasn't good, and had one terrible game as you mention.    Can't complain now - TG easing him in that is.   OJ won't get worse .... and he's already playing top four 5 x 5 minutes with Myers.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

....aaaaaand Juolevi.

If we can’t find an upgrade, sure why not.

He is eminently replaceable though, that spot could probably pretty easily be upgraded with other available players.

Heck, even Rathbone could come in and supplant him.

An easily possible D lineup next year without breaking the bank:

Hughes-Connor Murphy

Schmidt-Tryamkin

Soucy-Myers

Edler-Gudas

Edited by Provost

5 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hockey is a business. It's nothing personal. 

If that was the case why doesn't Myers have a full NMC? You'd think if we weren't planning on exposing him we'd give him a full NMC for a cheaper deal.

Unless... they never gave him a NMC because they were planning to expose him... it all makes sense now....

There is no problem exposing Myers IF they make a deal with Seattle not to take him.  

I don't get the Myers hate - like he should be making 5.5 or 5.85 or 4 million or something.   He's making close to exactly what he should be making.   6.5 is probably more realistic - 7 was been thrown around for a reason.   And it's possible he might have earned 7 x 6 on a different deal.   Cap keeps going up...until Covid.   Even with Covid that's a fair or team friendly deal.   How much does Edler make again?   Who's been the better D?   Trouba and Dumba and Pesce and Slavin will either get more or less depending on how their contracts play out.   At this point Myers has been better then Trouba since he went to NY...third contracts are supposed to be the legacy deals for these guys - just being a RHD comes with a premium.   50% more LHDs in the league - a lot of guys like Benn and Schmidt that play their off-side.      Trouba worth 8 million?  No thanks ..

Can't remember - but during MG reign were folks complaining about the d's we had making 4- 4.5?   It works out the the same cap percentage now at 6.   Hamhuis, Ballard, Bieksa, Erhoff, Edler etc....hmmm.    JB defense structure is allowing for 3 x 6 plus QHs salary.   Look at what TB spends on their D - and they get a 15% off deal for everyone.     Or what NSH used too with Subban.

Myers and Edler are tied for 28-32 highest paid D's in the league.   That's for sure fair given their ages and careers to date.   Remove one million it goes all the way down to 60 top paid Ds.   All the highest paid ds have UFA years factored in.   Curious would anyone prefer Faulk at 6.5 million to Myers?   I know i wouldn't, even if Myers was making 7 i'd still rather do that then Faulk at 6.5...

Petry got another deal ... 6.25 four year Covid priced - from ages 33-36.   His value is a decent comp to Myers and Edler. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

More on Myers.  All the good potential RHDs UFAs, with the exception of Hamilton, have new deals - ranging in age from 28- 32 in ages this year...So far got more money too. Expect Hamilton will stay in CAR.   The good ones anyways.   There won't be a replacement available through free agency this year.    Remember those threads about trading BB plus plus for Dumba?  Anyone want to do that now?  Isn't he injured again...

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Myers had a solid game as most of our guys tonight. 

Serious question. Which 3 dmen do we protect in the entry draft and who is exempt? 

Pretty sure Hughes doesn't need to protected, Edler doesn't have a contract so he doesn't need to be protected, and I would expose Myers to see if they take his contract.

That leaves Schmidt, Juolevi & an open spot. Maybe an opportunity to acquire someone.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Nathancanuck said:

Hughes is exempt

I think we will protect Juolevi, Schmidt and Myers even though some on here want to expose Myers to get rid of his 

contract but he's actually earning it and we need him imo.

The only problem is that we HAVE to expose 1 defensemen who meets the requirement (certain amount of NHL games played 

within the last 2 seasons AND under contract for 2021/22). As of now only Schmidt and Myers meet the requirements.

We could extend Benn before the ED and expose him or extend Chatfield but he needs to play 18 more games this season

to meet the requirements.. or trade for a depth D who meets the requirements but we definitely have to do something here.

Signing Benn for 1 more year at 1-1.5 might be our best shot, I would imagine he wouldn't hesitate to extend his contract 

sooner than later unless he wants to retire.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. 

Is this perhaps why we've been playing Chatfield so much? So we can protect myers, Schmidt and Juolevi? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

If we can’t find an upgrade, sure why not.

He is eminently replaceable though, that spot could probably pretty easily be upgraded with other available players.

Heck, even Rathbone could come in and supplant him.

An easily possible D lineup next year without breaking the bank:

Hughes-Connor Murphy

Schmidt-Tryamkin

Soucy-Myers

Edler-Gudas

As far as too early to tell how good he will be - for sure.   But he will be a cheap signing, and like QHs, be a good value for us during his second contract.   I hope Edler signs a decent one or two year deal that allows him to play on the third pairing - looks like that's already starting to happen, Myers and Schmidt are doing the heavy lifting so far this season.   Elder is getting primarily used as a defensive defenseman, good use of his talents, probably our best D at clearing the net and along the boards. 

Best thing that could happen at this point is OJ works out and replaces what we lost in Tanev.   So far he's looked like a seasoned pro out there, has a stabilizing effect - excellent positioning, stick work, blocks shots, isn't getting beat physically one on one, and crisp outlet passes.  

Rathbone is pretty small...Don't know how his game will translate at the NHL level, but for sure OJ won't make it easy for him to knock out.   Look at Chatfield. Maybe it's just nerves - but he's gone from an AHL all-star to bubble 7th d very quickly.   Craig Button said he was a sure-fire top four NHL D about a year ago... doubt it. 

3 points back of Edmonton for 3rd, but they have 2 games in hand.

2 points back of Winnipeg, but they have 4 games in hand.

We need a run. The way we're playing I'm starting to believe it's possible, but we gotta string together some results.

Picking up 1 point on Calgary is a start. Judging by the last 2 games Winnipeg & Edmonton aren't exactly playing lockdown defense at the moment. Huge chance to make up ground here.

16 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think it was about both this and to see how well Chatfield can actually play.  As for my above post he is highly valued by some on the business (Button is very high on him), we don't want a Theodore situation on our hands - where we expose the wrong young D.   Best way to do that is check them out. 

As a coach .... TG wants to win a cup and win every hockey game.  That said he's also got to go along with certain things and this for sure is one of them.   Tough position to be in without a contract next year - and his win loss column for sure is the first part of his resume.   JB has some other options to protect Schmidt, Myers and OJ.   But for sure the easiest thing to do is tag a year onto either Hamonic or Benn.   Benn makes the most sense - and he's actually playing very well for his price tag.    Other thing is a minor trade for a different depth D who meets the requirements.   Personally i'm 100% against losing Myers.   We need his edge on the D.   He's having a great season so far too.... while the rest of the team was sucking, he was close to even - playing very tough minutes.   And for some reason he seems to amp it up a little against CAL.   Maybe because it's more of a playoff atmosphere.   From the little they show from the dressing room, can tell his mates love him too.  

Edit:  As far as Myers gaffes go - well maybe they are more noticeable but what about QHs gaffes?  Or Edlers? Or Schmidt's for that matter (and Schmidt has seemed to finally getting his grove - can see why Vegas liked this guy so much). 

Myers is the complete package - like prime Edler.   Not as good as the best in the business - but not really that far off either.   How many points does he have now?   Based on points alone - he's 17th so far this season, and paid 32 most...

Edit:  On his salary - given some folks seem to keep going back to that as his main issue.   Next year the first wave of "covid" contracts come out for this years UFAs and he will be bumped down even further.   The following year - even more.   Given his age and using Edler as a comp, we shouldn't see much of any regression until he's 34...like a lot of other blue chippers.   And like a lot of blue chippers the best might not be here until he's 32-33...fair contract in a vital position.   These guys are extremely hard to get.  I'm with Burke on this one, excellent pick up. 

Great post. I'm a huge fan of Myers. After watching our guys get manhandled by the Bruins in 2011,it was refreshing to see him last playoffs against the Blues. The only way they slowed him down was running him from behind. I felt like the calls on him weren't like other playoffs where the whistle went away. It was more ticky tac calls. 

I for one would love to have Myers back. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

33 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Pretty sure Hughes doesn't need to protected, Edler doesn't have a contract so he doesn't need to be protected, and I would expose Myers to see if they take his contract.

That leaves Schmidt, Juolevi & an open spot. Maybe an opportunity to acquire someone.

I hope we keep Myers. 

We need some toughness and size on D. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2