The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tories Motion to Declare China's Action Against Uighurs as Genocide Passes 266-0, 72 Abstained (Cowards)

DonLever

17 hours ago, GetFocht said:

All politicians are slimy and gross and if you disagree you are likely a politician. 

All people who make statements that condemn people who disagree with them also are generally politicians. Just saying. ;)

(of course take my sentence as seriously as I take yours)

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

Not ignoring anything. Canadians quality of life is based in Canadians, not the politicians who leech off them. 

Look no further than Trudeau's family enrichment, Politicians traveling during a pandemic and on and on. Every party, every time. 

We make this country what it is, not politicians. 

fake lines, my friend. We get the politics and systems we deserve by our involvement level. People were more engaged in real issues prior to social media. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

fake lines, my friend. We get the politics and systems we deserve by our involvement level. People were more engaged in real issues prior to social media. 

Exactly this. If everyone was more involved and caring of our politicians, politicians would in turn care more about us. What we put in is what we get out of it.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Exactly this. If everyone was more involved and caring of our politicians, politicians would in turn care more about us. What we put in is what we get out of it.

if anyone doubts the power of this, go look at how Trump won the republican nomination. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Not directly related to this topic but about dealing with trade, sanctions, etc. with China.

US and allies to build 'China-free' tech supply chain 

Exclusive: Biden to sign presidential order to bolster chip, battery and rare-earth industries

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/US-and-allies-to-build-China-free-tech-supply-chain

Good idea but you can be certain it will favor the USA. Case in point the Canadian oil industry. Canadian oil sand production is arguably one of the cleanest processes in the world for heavy oil. Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Mexico, Venezula and yes California all produce dirtier versions. Canada should be producing 6 million boe per day. Because Canada does not have access to coastal egress the country is held hostage to USA oil interests. Trans Mtn and Northern Gateway were a solution that have been sabotaged for years. Canada could have used the proceeds from a growing oil production to pay for the transfer to alternatives. Could have used the revenue to diversify the Canadian economy in a significant way. 

How do you play hardball with the Americans and Chinese when you are bankrupt? This is how these 2 countries want to keep it. It is a national security issue which no political party in Canada is addressing. Better to spend time on an archaic idea like the Governor General or whether Justin needs a shave???

27 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So you believe our currently elected officials care what you/we think and want and have our best interests at heart? 

10 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

So you believe our currently elected officials care what you/we think and want and have our best interests at heart? 

Not all, because too many people don't care about politics. That's my point. If you want things to change you have to make people care enough to make that change. Just complaining about it does nothing.

It's funny really, because your question is almost the opposite of what I think and what I said. My statement was saying how to actually fix it.

Edited by The Lock

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Not all, because too many people don't care about politics. That's my point. If you want things to change you have to make people care enough to make that change. Just complaining about it does nothing.

If too many people don't care, that should tell you it isn't working. 

Change is made via voting, because everytime someone is elected, the other half complains. 

Reason: Politicians are gross and the majority agree with me. 

1 minute ago, GetFocht said:

If too many people don't care, that should tell you it isn't working. 

Change is made via voting, because everytime someone is elected, the other half complains. 

Reason: Politicians are gross and the majority agree with me. 

I'd argue it's not via voting. Why? Because most people who vote don't educate themselves on their options. They just vote for who they've voted for "the past 20, 30, 50 years". 

Edited by The Lock

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'd argue it's not via voting. Why? Because most people who vote don't educate themselves on their options. They just vote for who they've voted for "the past 20, 30, 50 years". 

Again, proves it isn't working. 

People don't care because they expect politicians to be held to a higher standard and they aren't. In fact, it's free passes on near criminal activity.

I vote. Politicians are disgusting no matter how genuine they pretend to be. It's a free ride for nearly 100% of them. 

Just get elected to enjoy the perks. Say what you need to say to get there. Do the bare minimum once you're there so the bar never gets raised. 

Pander, pander, pander. 

Just now, GetFocht said:

People don't care because they expect politicians to be held to a higher standard and they aren't. In fact, it's free passes on near criminal activity.

I vote. Politicians are disgusting no matter how genuine they pretend to be. It's a free ride for nearly 100% of them. 

Just get elected to enjoy the perks. Say what you need to say to get there. Do the bare minimum once you're there so the bar never gets raised. 

Pander, pander, pander. 

Except it would work if people cared more. Actually, not just care more, but be vocal about it. Right now people just go about their lives not really caring about politics. It effectively leaves a blind eye for the politicians to do whatever often enough.

We're lucky here in Canada that at least politicians can't get away with, for example, going to Hawaii during a pandemic. Whereas in the states, look at Cancun Cruz, who went away during a pandemic, but he's being criticized for leaving Texas during a natural disaster. Would he have received as much criticism if at all if there was no disaster? Probably not.

But, ultimately, if you want your representative here to be responsible, you have to be vocal about it. If you just complain about it on a Canucks forum and not take any more action beyond that, that's the problem right then and there. Empty complaints at that point. Yet, you complaining here is far more than what most do. That's the problem ;) If we don't hold our politicians accountable, then they'll just get away with whatever.

There can be a better world of politicians. You're right that the voting system isn't working, but it's not because of the voting system itself. It's because of the lack of caring by the people.

9 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

Pander, pander, pander. 

There is certainly lots of evidence to back you up on this but try to keep in mind that there are still some good people in politics. It’s our job to find them and get out and support them. Call out their bs no matter what party label they wear. Force your party of choice to select decent candidates and hold them accountable. I agree it’s a really tough task but we can’t give up. 

Kind of like being Canuck fans.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

Pander, pander, pander. 

do you like healthcare? a functional policing system? roads? EI? 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

There is certainly lots of evidence to back you up on this but try to keep in mind that there are still some good people in politics. It’s our job to find them and get out and support them. Call out their bs no matter what party label they wear. Force your party of choice to select decent candidates and hold them accountable. I agree it’s a really tough task but we can’t give up. 

Kind of like being Canuck fans.

I just want to say that's actually a really good point. Things are crazy in the Canucks section of the forum and it makes sense why. While I think some of them are extreme and not really logically sound, perhaps a little too quick to react as well, I still get why people are out in full force condemning Benning and Green. We're in a rut in the standings and they have every right to call things out.

If we actually saw that happening in politics, it would be a much different world. Acquillini owns the team. He doesn't have to listen to anyone (unless if he's losing that much money from it). We don't elect Acquillini but we do elect politicians. If we collectively had the same heart towards politics as we did sports, I bet the difference would almost feel unfathomably weird in how much more we'd be listened to.

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Except it would work if people cared more. Actually, not just care more, but be vocal about it. Right now people just go about their lives not really caring about politics. It effectively leaves a blind eye for the politicians to do whatever often enough.

We're lucky here in Canada that at least politicians can't get away with, for example, going to Hawaii during a pandemic. Whereas in the states, look at Cancun Cruz, who went away during a pandemic, but he's being criticized for leaving Texas during a natural disaster. Would he have received as much criticism if at all if there was no disaster? Probably not.

But, ultimately, if you want your representative here to be responsible, you have to be vocal about it. If you just complain about it on a Canucks forum and not take any more action beyond that, that's the problem right then and there. Empty complaints at that point. Yet, you complaining here is far more than what most do. That's the problem ;) If we don't hold our politicians accountable, then they'll just get away with whatever.

There can be a better world of politicians. You're right that the voting system isn't working, but it's not because of the voting system itself. It's because of the lack of caring by the people.

The lack of caring is a result of decades of the same garbage tossed back and forth and realizing your vote accomplishes nothing. 

They platform, get elected and then do the bare minimum. People don't have time to care, they're barely struggling to survive which seems is exactly how politicians want it. 

Need more proof. Look at the NDP and ICBC decision today. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

do you like healthcare? a functional policing system? roads? EI? 

None of these were created by the politicians. Not one. In spite of would be more accurate. Look at the vaccine roll out. They can't even get out of their own way to save lives. 

1 minute ago, GetFocht said:

None of these were created by the politicians. Not one. In spite of would be more accurate. Look at the vaccine roll out. They can't even get out of their own way to save lives. 

well, it wasn't elves.