The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tories Motion to Declare China's Action Against Uighurs as Genocide Passes 266-0, 72 Abstained (Cowards)

DonLever

CBC:

Why the genocide question about China is hard for the Trudeau government to answer (msn.com)

Besides Trump's administration no other country has defined China's action against the Uighur Muslims as "genocide".   So why is the vote being requested by the Conservatives except to embarrass Trudeau and the Liberals should they vote against the motion.

Edited by DonLever
  • Vintage 1

Imagine...selling some of the largest most vital energy reserves in Canada to China.  Signing a trade agreement with one of the most lopsided FIPAs in the known world.  All to a nation with a history of horrific egregious human rights violations while in power

Then using the subjugation of an entire race/religion of people under said nations rule during a ridiculous vote to score political talking points in hoping that the party holding power in a minority government somehow votes against it...

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Imagine...selling some of the largest most vital energy reserves in Canada to China.  Signing a trade agreement with one of the most lopsided FIPAs in the known world.  All to a nation with a history of horrific egregious human rights violations while in power

Then using the subjugation of an entire race/religion of people under said nations rule during a ridiculous vote to score political talking points in hoping that the party holding power in a minority government somehow votes against it...

This is it. While the genocide is an important issue, it seems interesting that this would be brought to light now (and not during the Conservatives rule). I am not familiar with the genocide itself, but I highly doubt that this was a recent thing. The way China has treat Tibetans was already grounds for suspicion.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This is it. While the genocide is an important issue, it seems interesting that this would be brought to light now (and not during the Conservatives rule). I am not familiar with the genocide itself, but I highly doubt that this was a recent thing. The way China has treat Tibetans was already grounds for suspicion.

To be fair.  I don't care who is in power or who is bringing the motion together.  China HAS to be spoken up against and loudly.  We're all in the g8/g20 enablers allowing them to get away with murder literally 

But at no point in time do I think this is anything mroe than a political talking point and it;s kind of disgusting that the subjugation and detention of millions is being used in this instance for this purpose

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

To be fair.  I don't care who is in power or who is bringing the motion together.  China HAS to be spoken up against and loudly.  We're all in the g8/g20 enablers allowing them to get away with murder literally 

But at no point in time do I think this is anything mroe than a political talking point and it;s kind of disgusting that the subjugation and detention of millions is being used in this instance for this purpose

If this leads to a ban on Chinese goods are you prepared to pay double the prices for goods? Not that I would mind, because it would create jobs here. I'm just worried about the tit for tat thing. Yes, I want them to stop murdering. But when the majority of goods you buy originate from China. You are going to need time to gear up production from North America/Central/South America/ Europe/India/Africa and the Middle East and the rest of Asia and New Zealand and Australia. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1

Hopefully this is more than just words.  I want to see action.  

If anything, Canada should just welcome anyone with a HK passport to immigrate here.  

You want to really hurt China, think how much it would hurt of suddenly half a million resident from HK with all their assets just up and re-settled here.  With more capital mean more investment in local industries.  More highly educated workforce means better productivities and a higher skilled workforce to compete globally.  

I hate to sound racist.... but I definitely prefer HKer than mainlanders.  Even most of my family from China originally feels the same.  

• Vintage 2

56 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

For the record, Trudeau has been the Prime Minister since 2015, and "The House of Commons subcommittee on international human rights studied the situation and concluded in October that China's actions constituted a genocide, as defined by the genocide convention that was adopted by the United Nations in 1948."

So what does that have to do with the Conservatives rule?

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If this leads to a ban on Chinese goods are you prepared to pay double the prices for goods? Not that I would mind, because it would create jobs here. I'm just worried about the tit for tat thing. Yes, I want them to stop murdering. But when the majority of goods you buy originate from China. You are going to need time to gear up production from North America/Central/South America/ Europe/India/Africa and the Middle East and the rest of Asia and New Zealand and Australia. 

I'd rather pay twice the cost for goods.

I already buy local.

I do NOT shop at Costco nor WalMart.

Did you know the apple industry in BC is in serious trouble?  Why?  Because the US supplements the Washington State Apple farmers so they can sell their fruit to us cheaper - guess which stores buy produce from Washington?  

Yeah...you see where this is going.  

Stop worrying about saving 25 cents on an apple and support BC/Canada products. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Heretic said:

For the record, Trudeau has been the Prime Minister since 2015, and "The House of Commons subcommittee on international human rights studied the situation and concluded in October that China's actions constituted a genocide, as defined by the genocide convention that was adopted by the United Nations in 1948."

Trudeau himself has not said China's action against the Uighurs was genocide.   And today the Liberal Cabinet abstained from the vote.

"However, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has so far stopped short of calling the treatment of the Uighurs a genocide, calling the term a "loaded word" that should be used carefully".

25 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Hopefully this is more than just words.  I want to see action.  

If anything, Canada should just welcome anyone with a HK passport to immigrate here.  

You want to really hurt China, think how much it would hurt of suddenly half a million resident from HK with all their assets just up and re-settled here.  With more capital mean more investment in local industries.  More highly educated workforce means better productivities and a higher skilled workforce to compete globally.  

I hate to sound racist.... but I definitely prefer HKer than mainlanders.  Even most of my family from China originally feels the same.  

It's funny, because I have a friend who went to HK back in the early 2000's.....went there to help with his daughter's acting/modeling career. (Which actually went quite well)

Maybe they'll come back....:unsure:

1 minute ago, DonLever said:

Trudeau himself has not said China's action against the Uighurs was genocide.   And today the Liberal Cabinet abstained from the vote.

"However, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has so far stopped short of calling the treatment of the Uighurs a genocide, calling the term a "loaded word" that should be used carefully".

Trudeau also said "poor people in Canada don't pay taxes" SMH.

22 minutes ago, Heretic said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/18/clues-to-scale-of-xinjiang-labour-operation-emerge-as-china-defends-camps

"Since 2014"

https://thenarwhal.ca/harper-government-ratifies-controversial-canada-china-foreign-investment-deal/

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/conservatives-spike-facebook-comments-critical-of-china-deal

"The deal with China has caused some internal dissent within the party, with some arguing it is unbalanced and concedes too much to the Asian superpower. The agreement was ratified by the Conservative government last week, with little fanfare.

“You sold us out to China, you will be remembered by Canadians and this treaty if passed will come up at every federal election for the next 30 years, you have made us a serfdom, time for the Cons to retire,” wrote Facebook user Paula Moffatt, before administrators deleted her remarks from a page with a photo of the prime minister."

Seems like whatever issues against the China deal were scrubbed by the Harper government. It's not at all a stretch to imagine Harper would not condemn the genocide because of this deal that he had worked so hard on since 2012.

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

An amendment to the motion, proposed by Bloc Quebecois MP Alexis Brunelle-Duceppe, calling on the International Olympic Committee to move the 2022 Olympic Games out of China if the genocide continues also passed 229 to 29 votes.

Should consider moving the 2022 World Cup too.