The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tories Motion to Declare China's Action Against Uighurs as Genocide Passes 266-0, 72 Abstained (Cowards)

DonLever

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Imagine...selling some of the largest most vital energy reserves in Canada to China.  Signing a trade agreement with one of the most lopsided FIPAs in the known world.  All to a nation with a history of horrific egregious human rights violations while in power

Then using the subjugation of an entire race/religion of people under said nations rule during a ridiculous vote to score political talking points in hoping that the party holding power in a minority government somehow votes against it...

Its almost like they want us to forget about Harper. 

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Its almost like they want us to forget about Harper. 

At his point in time Harper is gone long enough to stop whinging about him in my opinion.

BUt it's still his party because they're all still cabinet ministers from his rule vying for control now.  

Need a complete and utter reset

• Cheers 1

So I have 2 thoughts on this:

1) Good. What China's doing to the Uighurs needs attention and they shouldn't be able to get away with it.

2) Would the Conservatives have made the motion if they were in power or was this simply a stunt to put the Liberals in an awkward spot?

Don't get me wrong. It's a good motion in my opinion, but I used to vote for the Conservatives and I've been swaying farther and farther away from them.

Just now, The Lock said:

So I have 2 thoughts on this:

1) Good. What China's doing to the Uighurs needs attention and they shouldn't be able to get away with it.

2) Would the Conservatives have made the motion if they were in power or was this simply a stunt to put the Liberals in an awkward spot?

Don't get me wrong. It's a good motion in my opinion, but I used to vote for the Conservatives and I've been swaying farther and farther away from them.

Only two? Quelle surprise....B)

Seriously, I agree on both.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

The UN says a lot of things. There are human rights things going on around the world. Genocide, I feel, is going to be overused word for anything going on with human rights violations.

The Armenians suffered genocide, for example. Yet that in itself is not recognized by Turkey for various reasons.

Calling everything a genocide will distort the significance of the word. But like I said in a previous post, China is heading in that direction.

It should be noted that the Trump administration called it a genocide already. Politically convenient to do so. Yet nothing was said about Saudi Arabia/Yemen.

In fact, Trump supports Saudi Arabia. My point being is that genocide is often used as a catch all word. The fact that Trump did not denounce UAE for genocide shows how it is used as a political tool, rather than accurately labelling a situation. This is what we're seeing here in Canada. Political posturing.

An ethic group is being forcibly detained en masse with some members of it being involuntarily sterilized. How is genocide not an accurate label?

Edited by GoCanucks16
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, GoCanucks16 said:

An ethic group is being forcibly detained en masse with some members of it being involuntarily sterilized. How is genocide not an accurate label?

Because genocide is always brought up whenever it's convenient, and not used when it isn't. Example: US/SaudiArabia on Yemen. At what point does genocide mean anything? It seems to be used whenever you want to cast outrage at a particular group.

Genocide can also be used to name anything and everything under the sun. Where are we drawing the lines on what is genocide and what isn't genocide? According to the UN standards, Yemenis are being targeted/treated in the same way as Ugihurs. After doing some research: there isn't mass sterilization, yet there are mass rapes/murders on civilians. I'm sure Yemeni rebels probably engaged in crimes against humanity too.

Perhaps my position should be revised to: yes, genocide is happening. Now what? What is the difference with what's happening with Yemenis vs Ugihurs?

Edited by Dazzle

So, here is my first statement

I have no problem with Muslim's

It is not my religion, but there are a lot of not my religion's out there

So, here is my question

Would you vote to allow Canada to let all Uighurs to immigrate to Canada?

I am not sure how many there are, but we have plenty of land and water

and alot more money than them, so I am sure, we could afford it,

with a little down turn in our economy, but we would rebound eventually

So would you vote yes?

Let's be honest here! 

• Like 1

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

So, here is my question

So would you vote yes?

Let's be honest here! 

I feel that if we really wanted to make a stand as United Nations we should have a lot of these 1st World countries(USA/Canada/UK/etc) offer to take them in and let them decide for themselves where they want to settle down and live freely.

It would really grind the Chinese government’s gears knowing that the lot of us are standing against their tyranny. 

Unite together and grant them the right of freedom of choice. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So, here is my question

So would you vote yes?

Let's be honest here! 

I would have zero issues letting them in. Canada needs to be a leader as a human rights country. That being said, there will surely be objections (some of them rightfully so) about what we'll do with these refugees, and what about the indigenous people, as well as other marginalized people?

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Those old analog synths are just ridiculous...I want a Motif or a Prophet or something like that....

It's too bad they're so expensive. I write music and have the Arturia bundle at least ("softsynth" simulations of those old hardware synths) so until I have the money, I at least have something.

• Cheers 1

Just now, The Lock said:

It's too bad they're so expensive. I write music and have the Arturia bundle at least ("softsynth" simulations of those old hardware synths) so until I have the money, I at least have something.

TBH, I think that's probably the way to go...Contoller + Modules....

Just now, The Lock said:

It really is. There's even synths in that bundle that would cost $100K normally. lol

I've got three synths right now (2 analog Korgs and a Yamaha digital) so I can get the job done, but the Arturia set up is probably my next move.

The Motif and Jupiter, etc will happen when the lotto numbers come through. (I'll update my guitar setup then, as well)

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I've got three synths right now (2 analog Korgs and a Yamaha digital) so I can get the job done, but the Arturia set up is probably my next move.

The Motif and Jupiter, etc will happen when the lotto numbers come through. (I'll update my guitar setup then, as well)

Nice! The Arturia's worth is as they are actually modeled after the synths themselves. Another option is with UVI where they have sampled versions of a lot of those instruments. They're not going to be as in depth as Arturia, but the number of synths they have is in the 100's lol

• Cheers 1