The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can someone tell me what is happening with the real estate market here?

GetFocht

• 3 weeks later...

What's going on with housing prices? Ever tried to build a house without Lumber or Copper piping?

Lumber.jpg.10400745d2bad71b7e43b4901dc4f073.jpg

Lumber price chart

Copper.jpg.4da64761d7dff516f233f95c6a5e2839.jpg

Copper price chart.

Good thing the Federal Reserve, Bank of Canada, European Central Bank, Bank of England etc all insist there is no inflation and if there is it will simply pass like a fart in the wind.

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

What's going on with housing prices? Ever tried to build a house without Lumber or Copper piping?

Lumber.jpg.10400745d2bad71b7e43b4901dc4f073.jpg

Lumber price chart

Copper.jpg.4da64761d7dff516f233f95c6a5e2839.jpg

Copper price chart.

Good thing the Federal Reserve, Bank of Canada, European Central Bank, Bank of England etc all insist there is no inflation and if there is it will simply pass like a fart in the wind.

Chatted with our realtor, he has a client who is building a home, was quoted 25k to just bring power from road to her house, ended up being over 50k, she called her crying that the increase was killing her.

Another electrician buddy of his is doing a bunch of condo buildings, priced things out, his supplier has gone up 40% last 3 months and told him its going up another 10% in the next little bit.  He ended up buying 2 shipping containers of wire just to try and keep his costs from inflating so much, I can't imagine what 2 shipping containers cost him..

Wife is hell bent on building a house now, told her if she wants to she has to get a builder and lock down prices in writing because I am not going into a build where suddenly prices are getting jacked up on us.  I am not looking forward to the idea of building, rather get a home on a smaller lot already done.  These prices are just insane.

Edited by Russ

3 hours ago, Russ said:

Chatted with our realtor, he has a client who is building a home, was quoted 25k to just bring power from road to her house, ended up being over 50k, she called her crying that the increase was killing her.

Another electrician buddy of his is doing a bunch of condo buildings, priced things out, his supplier has gone up 40% last 3 months and told him its going up another 10% in the next little bit.  He ended up buying 2 shipping containers of wire just to try and keep his costs from inflating so much, I can't imagine what 2 shipping containers cost him..

Wife is hell bent on building a house now, told her if she wants to she has to get a builder and lock down prices in writing because I am not going into a build where suddenly prices are getting jacked up on us.  I am not looking forward to the idea of building, rather get a home on a smaller lot already done.  These prices are just insane.

No doubt some gouging going on but many companies are faced with cost increases for inputs. Capital investment for many companies have been cut back. 

I can beat your electrical example. My nephew was putting in a new septic system and got a price of $35,000. He phoned another contractor and got the job done for $13,000. 

5 hours ago, Russ said:

As an electrician, I can tell you if the power is above ground and they are doing poles, hydro charges around $10k a pole, so it adds up fast if its not close to the road. If it's underground it's a different story, but then your moving the costs to an excavation company. $50k seems pretty steep though. If it was quoted at $25k, how can they get away with double? The whole point of a quote is a fixed cost. Surely something changed.

Copper prices have been on the rise for sure, along with other materials. I don't do much of our billing, so I'm not privy to all our pricing, but I'm sure I would have heard about a 40% increase. That seems a bit steep as well, but who knows...

Edited by Sp3nny

1 hour ago, Sp3nny said:

As an electrician, I can tell you if the power is above ground and they are doing poles, hydro charges around $10k a pole, so it adds up fast if its not close to the road. If it's underground it's a different story, but then your moving the costs to an excavation company. $50k seems pretty steep though. If it was quoted at $25k, how can they get away with double? The whole point of a quote is a fixed cost. Surely something changed.

Copper prices have been on the rise for sure, along with other materials. I don't do much of our billing, so I'm not privy to all our pricing, but I'm sure I would have heard about a 40% increase. That seems a bit steep as well, but who knows...

Maybe it was some of the inside electrical to or something. I'm not sure with an the details but I guess somehow it was set up with cost of materials and not a straight up solid quote. 

Still doesn't make me excited about the idea of building lol

13 minutes ago, Russ said:

Maybe it was some of the inside electrical to or something. I'm not sure with an the details but I guess somehow it was set up with cost of materials and not a straight up solid quote. 

Still doesn't make me excited about the idea of building lol

Would make more sense. Things change so often honestly, it's almost impossible to come in on budget on bigger jobs. Coming in double is a pretty tough pill to swallow.

I'm getting tempted to put my place up for sale and potentially build too, but it can be such a hassle.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:36 AM, Sp3nny said:

Would make more sense. Things change so often honestly, it's almost impossible to come in on budget on bigger jobs. Coming in double is a pretty tough pill to swallow.

I'm getting tempted to put my place up for sale and potentially build too, but it can be such a hassle.

Have you seen the price of lots though?  Its stupid.....  Thats the other major issue the lot prices keep going higher :(

Well last 2 weeks lots less listed in the valley so thats not good for me looking :(

Edited by Russ

On 5/6/2021 at 4:30 AM, Russ said:

It's nuts right now. I can't tell if this is inflation or supply issues. The cost of basic food items, like dairy and meat, also seems to be rising. As does the cost of gas. 

Radio station in Powell River saying the average price of a home sold in April was $ 547,632 up about 60%, from previous April.

The assessed value of my place went up 24% over the last year.

My wages, did not.

So we've reached the point where the bubble is going to start popping soon.

When THIS in a small town in BC is worth this price, it's over.  Inflation fears are creeping in, building costs are astronomical now thus exacerbating the pricer per new unit

This is labeled as a 2 bed 3 bath condo, but truth is it's actually just a part of a 4 plex.  Generic "amenities" to make it look upscale.  On one of the worst corners in the city for traffic and vagrancy

https://www.royallepage.ca/en/property/british-columbia/penticton/604-110-ellis-street/14637790/mls188364/

Edited by Warhippy

22 minutes ago, Violator said:

Saw a story of a condo on Vancouver Island going for nearly one million over asking.

Seems pretty fishy 

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/1-million-over-asking-house-prices-in-rising-tide-all-over-vancouver-island

Should be illegal.

Clearly it’s illegitimate money at the very least. It’s only hurting people that live here.

Edited by DeNiro

On 5/15/2021 at 12:31 PM, Violator said:

Saw a story of a condo on Vancouver Island going for nearly one million over asking.

Seems pretty fishy 

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/1-million-over-asking-house-prices-in-rising-tide-all-over-vancouver-island

"The condominium townhome on a dead-end street was priced at $1.4 million, but sold at nearly $2.4 million, the listing agent, who did not want to be named, told the island’s CHEK News. The buyer was not disclosed, nor were photos available of the property."

Good thing the feds are propsing that 1% foreign buyers tax... that'll really make this go for only 990k over instead of 1 mill over....

2 hours ago, Russ said:

"The condominium townhome on a dead-end street was priced at $1.4 million, but sold at nearly $2.4 million, the listing agent, who did not want to be named, told the island’s CHEK News. The buyer was not disclosed, nor were photos available of the property."

Good thing the feds are propsing that 1% foreign buyers tax... that'll really make this go for only 990k over instead of 1 mill over....

That same property I can almost guarantee will be sold later to someone legally for alot more it might even push prices up of the other condos.