The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can someone tell me what is happening with the real estate market here?

GetFocht

28 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Interest rates low = increased borrowing = increased spending = increased prices. 

Also, COVID is making people realize that 2bdrm apartment they have is not enough to accommodate a work space for a couple. Making people desiring for bigger space and the rest is as @Aladeen explains. Low interest means low barrier to buying a home.

1 hour ago, Aladeen said:

Interest rates low = increased borrowing = increased spending = increased prices. 

Also

COVID 19 makes no travelling, people save the buy-power;

People change the working in office to working at home, need more space.

Apartments require lift due to too many floors, people do not trust to take lift due to COVID. Therefore, they go to house and town-house, that making the price of house/town house up, but apartment not.

8 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Been going on half a decade now on the Sunshine Coast.

Bought our home in 2015 for 285k now worth over 580k. We just snuck into the market with some good fortune.

You can't even find rentals anywhere here now but people keep moving here so.......

Sell now, move to Powell River, pocket 200,000, go on lots of vacations.

9 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Been going on half a decade now on the Sunshine Coast.

Bought our home in 2015 for 285k now worth over 580k. We just snuck into the market with some good fortune.

You can't even find rentals anywhere here now but people keep moving here so.......

Most over a million sales they have ever had over here 

Million gets you something really nice over here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

sassy seinfeld GIF by CraveTV

The crazy part is that if it is, in fact, a bubble the government can't ever let it burst. Our greatest economic driver in BC seems to be real estate. People living high off the hog off the equity they've accrued in their homes as the market shot up over the last ten years or so, over-leveraged on debt that they can't really afford. A housing bubble burst would be catastrophic. 

I feel like it has to stop at some point. You can't roll with interest rates <2% forever and expect we won't see some fallout from that. I'm currently trying to buy my first place (a condo) but a part of me almost thinks it's better to just rent for a few years and wait to see if this whole thing blows up. I've got a government job, it's secure, so I could potentially capitalize.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

ya its bc its never going down  you wanna live in alberta or ontario or bc ? bc wins every time im looking at buying a few acres in kooneys   got 85k saved gonna try get 1.5-3 acre lot in the mountains  most are 90-100k  but sell 20k cheaper at closing   gonna build a cabin in next 3 yrs  hopefully bartend at the ski hills or in nelson. Gonna sell car buy a truck and lil 5th wheel  until cabin finished in 2-3 yrs    no more expensive rent im done with the city its like being a slave 

quiet....don't tell them our secret

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

The crazy part is that if it is, in fact, a bubble the government can't ever let it burst. Our greatest economic driver in BC seems to be real estate. People living high off the hog off the equity they've accrued in their homes as the market shot up over the last ten years or so, over-leveraged on debt that they can't really afford. A housing bubble burst would be catastrophic. 

I feel like it has to stop at some point. You can't roll with interest rates <2% forever and expect we won't see some fallout from that. I'm currently trying to buy my first place (a condo) but a part of me almost thinks it's better to just rent for a few years and wait to see if this whole thing blows up. I've got a government job, it's secure, so I could potentially capitalize.

hard to say what's going to happen, but at some point it's going to have to burst to some degree.  It's getting to the point where there's going to be a very small number of people who can afford to buy a home.  I'd love to sell my acreage at some point and retire,, but it's going to be tough to find a buyer