The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion draft, who are you keeping ?

Rate this topic

AriGold

6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

It's not a video game.

I know it's not a video game. That still doesn't mean that this wouldn't work

Offer Seattle a 3rd round pick in 2022, to take to take either Virtanen or Holtby.

The chances of a 3rd round pick making it to the NHL and playing 100 games is about 20%. I'm good with that to request who they take.

These deals were happening all over the NHL when Vegas came in, there's no reason why it can't be done again.

14 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I know it's not a video game. That still doesn't mean that this wouldn't work

Offer Seattle a 3rd round pick in 2022, to take to take either Virtanen or Holtby.

The chances of a 3rd round pick making it to the NHL and playing 100 games is about 20%. I'm good with that to request who they take.

These deals were happening all over the NHL when Vegas came in, there's no reason why it can't be done again.

Not sure if you're misunderstanding or what but no team is taking on a multi-million dollar cap-dump for a mid-round pick.

Again, you'd have to offer a lot more to account for the cap dump plus the lost value for Seattle from them taking a player they don't want instead of one they do.

The idea is fine, your numbers are just off.

44 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Not sure if you're misunderstanding or what but no team is taking on a multi-million dollar cap-dump for a mid-round pick.

Again, you'd have to offer a lot more to account for the cap dump plus the lost value for Seattle from them taking a player they don't want instead of one they do.

The idea is fine, your numbers are just off.

Holtby and Virtanen offer solid value to a building team, although I think Holtby has the most value right now.

See what happens, I think its fair value. Virtanen brings speed, Holtby brings experience. 

21 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Holtby and Virtanen offer solid value to a building team, although I think Holtby has the most value right now.

See what happens, I think its fair value. Virtanen brings speed, Holtby brings experience. 

If they were valuable you wouldn't be so quick to throw them at Seattle, and instead be trying to find a way to protect them. Seattle watches the games and looks at the stats, too.

As for Holtby, doubt many teams out there are jumping at the chance to pay a goalie 4.3M coming off back-to-back below .900 seasons regardless of experience level.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 11:51 AM, VegasCanuck said:

It appears that JBs protection list will be: Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Pearson, Motte, Lind, Juolevi, Myers, Schmidt, Demko

This leaves Holtby, Virtanen and Gadjovich as Seattle's most likely targets. If Holtby plays brilliantly down the stretch then he may come into consideration, but his cap hit is likely too high. Virtanen's effort and production have been lacking this season and so I don't think Seattle will select him. Most likely selection is Gadjovich. Selected as a young prospect that has potential to be an impact player in the NHL within 1 year.

I don't see JB offering a sweetener to influence selection.

Possible secondary targets are Highmore, MacEwen, Hawryluk, Bailey, Jasek, Rafferty, Chatfield, Brisebois. 

5 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

It appears that JBs protection list will be: Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Pearson, Motte, Lind, Juolevi, Myers, Schmidt, Demko

This leaves Holtby, Virtanen and Gadjovich as Seattle's most likely targets. If Holtby plays brilliantly down the stretch then he may come into consideration, but his cap hit is likely too high. Virtanen's effort and production have been lacking this season and so I don't think Seattle will select him. Most likely selection is Gadjovich. Selected as a young prospect that has potential to be an impact player in the NHL within 1 year.

I don't see JB offering a sweetener to influence selection.

Possible secondary targets are Highmore, MacEwen, Hawryluk, Bailey, Jasek, Rafferty, Chatfield, Brisebois. 

I think they take Holtby. 

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think they take Holtby. 

it would make sense. Cap is OK, and if he continues to play like he has he's a good asset for them to keep, or move depending on what they want to do at their 1st trade deadline. I'm not expecting Vegas miracle runs this time.

Seattle is not going to take dead cap from us. 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it would make sense. Cap is OK, and if he continues to play like he has he's a good asset for them to keep, or move depending on what they want to do at their 1st trade deadline. I'm not expecting Vegas miracle runs this time.

Seattle is not going to take dead cap from us. 

He's a safe pick for them, he's a former Vezina Trophy winner and has taken his team all the way to the cup.

He'll stabilize their crease and he's a leader in the locker room.

We'll see in a couple of months if I'm right, but I believe that they take him.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

When Vegas came in to the league, they struck a lot of handshake deals at the trade deadline PRIOR to the expansion draft.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if Vancouver got a deal in place with Seattle to have them take Holtby with a pick. 

Protect:

Petterson, Miller, Horvat, Boeser, Motte, Pearson, Lind 

Schmidt, Juolevi... some player we trade for before expansion.

Demko

It will be really tempting for Seattle to take Myers from us, he is a little overpaid but there is a huge gap in level between Myers and any other possible picks... Maybe Holtby is their other possible choice, but then it is down to scrubs or guys outside the NHL.

Once we picked up Bowie I knew that Benning wasn’t likely planning on doing anything bold in expansion like trying to free up cap space for other opportunities or get a player for relatively cheap like Zadorov pre-Expansion.

Edited by Provost

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Once we picked up Bowie I knew that Benning wasn’t likely planning on doing anything bold in expansion like trying to free up cap space for other opportunities or get a player for relatively cheap like Zadorov pre-Expansion.

this kind of move isn't excluded yet. Buyout Jake and Loui and there's cap to spare for Zadorov, or preferably a 3C. 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this kind of move isn't excluded yet. Buyout Jake and Loui and there's cap to spare for Zadorov, or preferably a 3C. 

If we have this GM still I suspect it is probably excluded.  

Zero faith in his ability to do anything but run a draft.... and even then, I just hope that he can get above his 50% success rate with his top 10 picks.

Edited by Provost

On 4/16/2021 at 5:14 PM, kanucks25 said:

If they were valuable you wouldn't be so quick to throw them at Seattle, and instead be trying to find a way to protect them. Seattle watches the games and looks at the stats, too.

As for Holtby, doubt many teams out there are jumping at the chance to pay a goalie 4.3M coming off back-to-back below .900 seasons regardless of experience level.

Vegas picked MAF and his contract had multiple years left and he's getting paid 6.5 million. Holtby is on his last year on 4.3 million

On 4/27/2021 at 11:01 AM, VegasCanuck said:

He's a safe pick for them, he's a former Vezina Trophy winner and has taken his team all the way to the cup.

He'll stabilize their crease and he's a leader in the locker room.

We'll see in a couple of months if I'm right, but I believe that they take him.

They wont have many choices. The prime candidates are Rittich, Jake Allen, Khodobin (whatever u spell his name that plays for the Stars), Holtby. Rittich and Allen suck, Khodobin is on a 3 year deal x 3.3 million but hes never been the main guy very long so Holtby would be the best choice and low risk.

• Cheers 1

I would offer Seattle a 2021 2nd to take LE, 2021 3rd to take Holtby.

The reason I would off that much is, we don't have a good look at potential picks this year due to Covid, past the first 10 to 15 picks, it becomes more of a crap shoot than normal. It's a good year to sacrifice picks if needed.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I would offer Seattle a 2021 2nd to take LE, 2021 3rd to take Holtby.

The reason I would off that much is, we don't have a good look at potential picks this year due to Covid, past the first 10 to 15 picks, it becomes more of a crap shoot than normal. It's a good year to sacrifice picks if needed.

Doesn't that also mean there could be some real gems in the later rounds

Valid point, you just have to rely heavily on what your scouts may have seen before the shutdown or in other leagues that are still active.

Personally, I would hate to lose any draft picks, especially in the earlier rounds. Also, think there is a good chance Seattle takes Holtby anyways.