The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion draft, who are you keeping ?

Rate this topic

AriGold

52 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Don't need corsi.

Anybody who watched him play knew that he had the hockey IQ of a boulder.

Which begs the question: are our pro scouts high or just incompetent? Because this was apparent before he ever played a game for the Canucks to anybody who paid attention to players outside Vancouver.

he was not that bad :lol:. He was a fine 6/7 who could hit hard.  Of course he was overpaid, but go talk to Linden, there's an interview with him about how steep the market prices were that year. 

I'm just tired of the endless moaning about Benning. I get it, lots of people don't like him, but ffs move on to something new and/or interesting. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he was not that bad :lol:. He was a fine 6/7 who could hit hard.  Of course he was overpaid, but go talk to Linden, there's an interview with him about how steep the market prices were that year. 

I'm just tired of the endless moaning about Benning. I get it, lots of people don't like him, but ffs move on to something new and/or interesting. 

Is there anything more important to this franchise than who the general manager is currently and going forward? :mellow: It's literally make or break for this core, especially with what goes down in Summer of '22.

What else are we to talk about? :P

Edited by kanucks25
  • Like 1

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Is there anything more important to this franchise than who the general manager is currently and going forward? :mellow: It's literally make or break for this core, especially with what goes down in Summer of '22.

What else are we to talk about? :P

yes. Young player and prospect development. Coaching. Who Seattle picks. Any new GM won't suddenly get a new set of parameters to work with, there aren't that many options for a new GM unless you're taking about some sort of full scale rebuild / blockbuster type of situation.

The endless posts about Jim, most of which are just whining and not anything productive, is over taking too many threads. 

12 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Um, the GM is heavily involved with all of these...

OK. So on drafting and developing I seriously doubt any GM over 7 years does much better. Yes Jake is a disappointment, but other than that its a solid group. Jury is still out on OJ, you cannot blame a GM for injuries.

Coaching - he hasn't extended Green yet. We don't know whats going to happen. A new GM is in the same boat, that person still has the same pool of candidates to choose from.

Seattle - I suppose there you could have a point, I'd prefer that we had a better negotiator to deal with them, but otoh we don't have much for them to pick from.

I'm not singling you out btw. 

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yes. Young player and prospect development. Coaching. Who Seattle picks. Any new GM won't suddenly get a new set of parameters to work with, there aren't that many options for a new GM unless you're taking about some sort of full scale rebuild / blockbuster type of situation.

The endless posts about Jim, most of which are just whining and not anything productive, is over taking too many threads. 

This is why I find all the Benning talk to be incessantly whiney. There are lots of good points to be made on both sides but I wish it wouldn’t invade every thread. The non-hockey side of the board does an excellent job of keeping Coronavirus/US Politics/etc separate. The hockey side always degenerates into the same endless back and forth on Benning. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

This is why I find all the Benning talk to be incessantly whiney. There are lots of good points to be made on both sides but I wish it wouldn’t invade every thread. The non-hockey side of the board does an excellent job of keeping Coronavirus/US Politics/etc separate. The hockey side always degenerates into the same endless back and forth on Benning. 

they should just put "Benning sucks" in their footers, that way its in every post and we don't have to read it over and over. 

So many interesting things to talk about coming up over the next 2 years and we're stuck on "Dim Jim" :picard:

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they should just put "Benning sucks" in their footers, that way its in every post and we don't have to read it over and over. 

So many interesting things to talk about coming up over the next 2 years and we're stuck on "Dim Jim" :picard:

Instead of a footer note about JB, is it OK if we just use his Motto..........?

sinking ship Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Instead of a footer note about JB, is it OK if we just use his Motto..........?

sinking ship Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

sure, whatever floats... er, you know. 

Lets at least get some originality into this. If you hate Jim, come up with real ideas. 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure, whatever floats... er, you know. 

Lets at least get some originality into this. If you hate Jim, come up with real ideas. 

Society is besot with meme level discourse.

Pretty sure we're doomed.

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2021 at 3:16 PM, oldnews said:

Remember when Vegas selected Sbisa in the expansion draft - and then earned a top 4 spot in Vegas - competing with a long list of  #4 D that Vegas had taken.

Probably not.  I suspect your memory is quite selective.

"Pizza" got the last laugh on all the trolling he endured in this market.  

The 'analyticz' geniuses that pegged him as the worst defenseman in the NHL -  took one square on the chin.  And it's not as though Vegas did not know what they were doing.  They took that extremely favourable format and ran with it - directly into being a contender.

Yes i remember.  And how fans were worried sick over losing Gaunce.   Not sure if your being sarcastic about Sbisa, given he was barely played in Vegas.   Used as fill in and extra D...

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Society is besot with meme level discourse.

Pretty sure we're doomed.

Again, our GM situation is the #1 issue / matter of importance currently with this franchise. It'll determine what we do for the expansion draft, the upcoming contracts of the young stars, the pool of money coming off the books in 2 summers' time, etc. Suffice to say, it's critical for our future.

So, to determine whether or not we need a change at the position, we need to evaluate the body of work... the whole body of work. In this situation, you can't just ignore mistakes or issues just because they've been discussed in the past. If you're weighing pros and cons, you can't just randomly omit some.

"Your honour, I know I murdered a man but I've been called 'murderer' so many times since then, I think I just should be forgiven."

I mean what else interesting is there to even discuss? Whether or not Marc Michaelis will cut it in the AHL?

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Again, our GM situation is the #1 issue / matter of importance currently with this franchise. It'll determine what we do for the expansion draft, the upcoming contracts of the young stars, the pool of money coming off the books in 2 summers' time, etc. Suffice to say, it's critical for our future.

So, to determine whether or not we need a change at the position, we need to evaluate the body of work... the whole body of work. In this situation, you can't just ignore mistakes or issues just because they've been discussed in the past. If you're weighing pros and cons, you can't just randomly omit some.

"Your honour, I know I murdered a man but I've been called 'murderer' so many times since then, I think I just should be forgiven."

I mean what else interesting is there to even discuss? Whether or not Marc Michaelis will cut it in the AHL?

We're not ignoring them.

We're also not equating them with murder ;)

Overall, I like how this team is positioned moving forward. Benning is responsible for that solid positioning. Yes, including the odd error or move that hasn't worked out in there (like EVERY other team/GM).

16 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I very much agree with you that it is an absolutely critical issue. It just would be nice if it didn’t take over every thread. For example here in this thread Expansion Draft, who are you protecting? A discussion of who people want to protect and who should be exposed  and you want to prosecute the JB murder trial.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

well... not really for Seattle. Most of us on CDC can figure out a decent strategy for expansion, I'm pretty sure any GM could as well. 

Jim's actually done pretty good on the RFA deals. Jake is maybe overpaid a little but thats it. Bo and Boesers deals are good. 

I'm not saying don't discuss it, a lot of folks have good ideas on here. But when its prefaced with "Dim Jim" I just tune out, as do many others. Sort of like the endless blaming of all losses on Green. Pretty soon 2288 will blame someone's poor jock fit on Green. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

We're not ignoring them.

We're also not equating them with murder ;)

Overall, I like how this team is positioned moving forward. Benning is responsible for that solid positioning. Yes, including the odd error or move that hasn't worked out in there (like EVERY other team/GM).

I didn't equate anything ;) Strawman.

It was an analogy to illustrate an idea. 

I agree the team right now - in a vacuum ignoring all context - is indeed well positioned moving forward. 

Outside the vacuum though, we still need a new GM :P

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I very much agree with you that it is an absolutely critical issue. It just would be nice if it didn’t take over every thread. For example here in this thread Expansion Draft, who are you protecting? A discussion of who people want to protect and who should be exposed  and you want to prosecute the JB murder trial.

Read back, I've stated my case over several posts (Myers should be exposed).

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

I didn't equate anything ;) Strawman.

It was an analogy to illustrate an idea. 

I agree the team right now - in a vacuum ignoring all context - is indeed well positioned moving forward. 

Outside the vacuum though, we still need a new GM :P

I'm not the one that ignores context ;)