The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Clark must be a priority

Rate this topic

smokes

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

What’s Rollie Melanson’s contract status with the Devils?  I wonder if he could be had back if Clarke leaves of course. 

He took his retirement after the 2019/20 season - he announced it a year ahead. 

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

This is what we're up against folks. Multiple teams will be after Clark for their goalies. I hope people remember that this isn't one sided, if he does leave.

https://phillysportsnetwork.com/2021/05/25/flyers-must-invest-in-ian-clark-carter-hart/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=flyers-must-invest-in-ian-clark-carter-hart

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS MUST INVEST IN IAN CLARK TO HELP CARTER HART’S FUTURE

If the Philadelphia Flyers want a low-risk and high-reward investment tip, it’s securing Ian Clark to coach Carter Hart.

I guess our fallback is Sanford, who at least trained under Clark (https://canucksarmy.com/2021/05/24/monday-mailbag-best-replacement-clark-canucks-offseason-need/)

I wonder how big Clark's ask is? 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess our fallback is Sanford, who at least trained under Clark (https://canucksarmy.com/2021/05/24/monday-mailbag-best-replacement-clark-canucks-offseason-need/)

I wonder how big Clark's ask is? 

Could be he's interested in working with another young tender like Hart and there's no dollar amount that keeps him here. Maybe he wants to head back East?

Who knows.

Won't stop a bunch of people here from blaming Canuck management I'm sure though :lol:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Could be he's interested in working with another young tender like Hart and there's no dollar amount that keeps him here. Maybe he wants to head back East?

Who knows.

Won't stop a bunch of people here from blaming Canuck management I'm sure though :lol:

I guess it comes down to how Aqua sees it, if its just a negotiation or if he doesn't like being given an ultimatum. Really hard to say. 

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Who knows.

If there's a big ask if means $ no?

If he said I'm worth X amount, but I'd rather go somewhere else. However X + a certain amount of dollars more would get me to stay...

I don't see where the confusion is. 

6 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

If he said I'm worth X amount, but I'd rather go somewhere else. However X + a certain amount of dollars more would get me to stay...

the confusion is trying to figure out if having likely by far the highest paid goalie coach on the planet is worth it. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the confusion is trying to figure out if having likely by far the highest paid goalie coach on the planet is worth it. 

Are the relationships with your players worth it?

You just invested 25 million into a goalie who PUBLICALLY begged to have his mentor back

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Are the relationships with your players worth it?

You just invested 25 million into a goalie who PUBLICALLY begged to have his mentor back

I agree, just don't know how Aqua would view it. Some guys don't like being backed into corners. There's also the rest of the family to convince. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I agree, just don't know how Aqua would view it. Some guys don't like being backed into corners. There's also the rest of the family to convince. 

I think Aqua cares more about public perception than a lot of people admit. 

There is a ton of pressure for the Canucks to come out hot, and at the very least thread water at the start of next season. It's a risky game to play to have Rogers Arena full, with a little bit of uncertainty around Demko's game coming into next season. 

50 000 people screamed We Want Lu, in a meaningless heritage classic game in the Torts year where the playoffs weren't happening. Early success will calm the market down a little but if they struggle out of the gates it will get ugly. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Zhukini said:

I think Aqua cares more about public perception than a lot of people admit. 

There is a ton of pressure for the Canucks to come out hot, and at the very least thread water at the start of next season. It's a risky game to play to have Rogers Arena full, with a little bit of uncertainty around Demko's game coming into next season. 

50 000 people screamed We Want Lu, in a meaningless heritage classic game in the Torts year where the playoffs weren't happening. Early success will calm the market down a little but if they struggle out of the gates it will get ugly. 

well, we should know pretty soon. If the Canucks want the best chance for Demko and DiPietro it seems like a no-brainer. Unless Clark's ask is something totally ridiculous I hope they wrap this one up. 

31 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

My point is that money might not be Clark's main criteria. He's going to be well paid regardless of where he works.

According to his LinkedIn, he lives in Florida. Maybe he wants go be closer to home and restore Bob's game?

Maybe he wants to be back East and work with a young stud like Hart?

Edited by aGENT

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

My point is that money might not be Clark's main criteria. He's going to be well paid regardless of where he works.

According to his LinkedIn, he lives in Florida. Maybe he wants go be closer to home and restore Bob's game?

Is there any credible reporting out there that its Clark who doesnt want to be back though?

Benning himself did say he held off on things until he knew what the financial situation was going to be. That sounds more like it was the team waiting on those contracts, not Clark wanting out or refusing to sign.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Is there any credible reporting out there that its Clark who doesnt want to be back though?

Benning himself did say he held off on things until he knew what the financial situation was going to be. That sounds more like it was the team waiting on those contracts, not Clark wanting out or refusing to sign.

There's little information of any sort.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

There's little information of any sort.

Thats why its too early to paint Clark as anything but a coach awaiting a contract offer at this point.

No one knows what his intentions are. Or what ownership and Bennings intentions are.

Maybe he wants to leave. Maybe Benning wants to cheap out on the front office more.

Benning and Weisbrod are already President, GM, Directors of Amateur Scouting, Directors of Player Development, and Directors of Pro Scouting. Which is ridiculous for any pro sports organization imo.

Maybe they want to be goalie coaches too in order to save some dollars lol.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Thats why its too early to paint Clark as anything but a coach awaiting a contract offer at this point.

No one knows what his intentions are. Or what ownership and Bennings intentions are.

Nobody's 'painting' anything.

Maybe he wants to leave.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Maybe Benning wants to cheap out on the front office more.

Benning and Weisbrod are already President, GM, Directors of Amateur Scouting, Directors of Player Development, and Directors of Pro Scouting. Which is ridiculous for any pro sports organization imo.

Maybe they want to be goalie coaches too in order to save some dollars lol.

What's ridiculous is your standard issue hyperbolic conjecture here.

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Spencer Knight also looks like he's got a ton of potential. I could see Clark going there. It would be a huge loss, but if Demko can't continue being the goaltender he is without his goalie coach, then we have bigger problems.

14 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

On a team that relies this heavily on goaltending its probably money well spent.

I would argue it goes well beyond the 'money well spent' level and should be considered 'essential' to spend whatever money is required (reasonably speaking) to retain Clark's services.