The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Clark must be a priority

Rate this topic

smokes

11 minutes ago, JDLax16 said:

Are you aware of the significant discrepancy in cap hits and dollars actually spent this season? The Canucks are behind 20 clubs this season in terms of actual money being spent. 

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-real-dollars-salary-expenditure-has-team-21st-in-nhl/wcm/553e42ea-ea30-482a-96c8-68bedfa845d6/amp/

thats not a very meaningful list and has no relevance to management salaries. 

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats not a very meaningful list and has no relevance to management salaries. 

I was replying to someone who used the Canucks having as little cap room as they do to suggest Frankie Blueberries is currently free with his wallet. The cap hit doesn’t represent the actual money spent, aka the part the Tommy Trust-fund actually cares about.  

32 minutes ago, JDLax16 said:

Are you aware of the significant discrepancy in cap hits and dollars actually spent this season? The Canucks are behind 20 clubs this season in terms of actual money being spent. 

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-real-dollars-salary-expenditure-has-team-21st-in-nhl/wcm/553e42ea-ea30-482a-96c8-68bedfa845d6/amp/

Canucks was fifth the season before wich is just ridiculus. 
That is numbers only team with an aim for the cup should have.

Do you think the Canucks could have won last tear? 
This years Numbers seems realistic to our goal for now. 
I would have liked if we were around bottom spenders til the window opens. 

26 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If you can find somewhere else that quotes them other than those dumb twitter feeds, then sure... I'll say they're credible.  It's no different than me spoutting off:

"Friedman says "Elias Pettersson expected back in the lineup next week after going through a series of medical examinations." 

REALLY?  WOW!  FRIEDMAN is credible so that means Petey is coming back!  YAY!

Fair enough. Having followed those stories and not seeing anyone refute the claims leads me to believe those accounts were not mistaken in what Dhaliwal and Paterson said. 

6 minutes ago, JDLax16 said:

I was replying to someone who used the Canucks having as little cap room as they do to suggest Frankie Blueberries is currently free with his wallet. The cap hit doesn’t represent the actual money spent, aka the part the Tommy Trust-fund actually cares about.  

the Aquilini's haven't been cheap owners tho, thats and odd take on it imo. 

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Canucks was fifth the season before wich is just ridiculus. 
That is numbers only team with an aim for the cup should have.

Do you think the Canucks could have won last tear? 
This years Numbers seems realistic to our goal for now. 
I would have liked if we were around bottom spenders til the window opens. 

It seems that Supreme Leader Benning is allergic to cap space. That or someone has tricked him into believing you aren’t allowed to have any excess. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

the Aquilini's haven't been cheap owners tho, thats and odd take on it imo. 

Pandemic ownership has been a lot different than normal times. I can’t lay claim to any ownership frugality prior to covid-19. 

I haven't logged in here yet this year (until today) but have been harping on this for a good while now.
We lose Ian Clark and this team tanks like Haley's Comet into the Pacific Ocean.
The ONLY reason we're even in any games at all is our goaltending and that's 100% Ian's doing.
The defence has been a total tire fire under Bumfartner - and I've been very vocal about that in the past. I like Greener, but Bummer should have been replaced years ago.
I mean he was a top 10 pick who ended up being a career minor leaguer .
How we have him coaching an NHL defence, when we have Doug Jarvis riding a desk somewhere in the basement... I mean he was an all star in junior then became one of the best defensive centers of his generation, winning a Selke in '84, then won 4 cups as a player and 2 more as a coach, and holds the NHL record for consecutive games played (964 !!) 
"Nahhh.... we'll go with Baumer" 
This organization is baffling. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 4:12 PM, combover said:

I’m starting to think Ian doesn’t want to be part of this mess.

FA and JB seem to have that effect on quality people. 

The one thing that is clear in Canucksville is senior management/ownership are attracted to employees that fan their ego's  ie. yes men. Weisbrod is such a employee, it's almost sickening in the few clips you see of him how much he s**k's up. If I had to do that I'd find a new career. Regretfully that narrows down the selection of future staff.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

IMO, Ian Clark is not coming back. Huge mistake by the Canucks to lose guys like Brackett, Malhotra, and now potentially Clark.

Brackett and Malhotra are forgivable, IMO.

It’s the GM’s prerogative to decide how the scouting department is run, how active they want to be in the decisions, and how much autonomy they want to give the scouting director. We’ll never know what the whole story was, or whether Benning or Brackett’s side was closer to the truth, but it was clear that they no longer saw eye to eye, so a change was necessary. And so long as Benning was GM, it was his decision whether or not Brackett would be accommodated, or allowed to leave and seek the kind of role and relationship he wanted, as an NHL amateur scouting director.

With Malhotra, it was mostly just that another team offered him a better job. This happens all the time around the league, and personnel are allowed to move and seek opportunities to advance their careers. I suppose the Canucks could have looked to match the position, and promoted Manny to a full bench assistant with special teams duties, but that would have probably meant firing/demoting Newell Brown (probably a good move, in hindsight), but I expect Green wouldn’t have been on board with this, nor was it something management wanted to do, at the time.

Ian Clark, however, is a very different story. By all accounts, he’s been very happy working in Vancouver, and willing to remain here. Of course, Clark always has options to move, as he’s one of the best goaltending consultants in the world, and always has a long list of opportunities (since he’s probably an upgrade for 90% of NHL teams), but any change of employment would basically be a lateral move, from Clark’s perspective, as he’d just be moving teams to do the same job. So, if he’s happy where he is, there’s really no risk of him being poached (other than maybe another team backing up the Brinks truck and offering him crazy money). But pay him what he’s worth, and show him the respect of not making him wait and wonder about his future, and I’m nearly 100% sure that Clark would have signed another contract to remain in Vancouver, and finish the job he’s doing with Demko, DiPietro, etc. Our young goaltenders have raved about Clarky, and the role he’s played in their development. Clark is universally regarded as a one of the very best at what he does, and it’s virtually impossible to replace him with a better goalie coach. Clark is somebody you simply hold on to for as long as he’s willing to remain with the team. It’s a no brainer. If he walks, it’s an unforgivable unforced error IMO. The only question will be who to blame, ownership or management, or some combination of both.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Brackett and Malhotra are forgivable, IMO.

It’s the GM’s prerogative to decide how the scouting department is run, how active they want to be in the decisions, and how much autonomy they want to give the scouting director. We’ll never know what the whole story was, or whether Benning or Brackett’s side was closer to the truth, but it was clear that they no longer saw eye to eye, so a change was necessary. And so long as Benning was GM, it was his decision whether or not Brackett would be accommodated, or allowed to leave and seek the kind of role and relationship he wanted, as an NHL amateur scouting director.

With Malhotra, it was mostly just that another team offered him a better job. This happens all the time around the league, and personnel are allowed to move and seek opportunities to advance their careers. I suppose the Canucks could have looked to match the position, and promoted Manny to a full bench assistant with special teams duties, but that would have probably meant firing/demoting Newell Brown (probably a good move, in hindsight), but I expect Green wouldn’t have been on board with this, nor was it something management wanted to do, at the time.

Ian Clark, however, is a very different story. By all accounts, he’s been very happy working in Vancouver, and willing to remain here. Of course, Clark always has options to move, as he’s one of the best goaltending consultants in the world, and always has a long list of opportunities (since he’s probably an upgrade for 90% of NHL teams), but any change of employment would basically be a lateral move, from Clark’s perspective, as he’d just be moving teams to do the same job. So, if he’s happy where he is, there’s really no risk of him being poached (other than maybe another team backing up the Brinks truck and offering him crazy money). But pay him what he’s worth, and show him the respect of not making him wait and wonder about his future, and I’m nearly 100% sure that Clark would have signed another contract to remain in Vancouver, and finish the job he’s doing with Demko, DiPietro, etc. Our young goaltenders have raved about Clarky, and the role he’s played in their development. Clark is universally regarded as a one of the very best at what he does, and it’s virtually impossible to replace him with a better goalie coach. Clark is somebody you simply hold on to for as long as he’s willing to remain with the team. It’s a no brainer. If he walks, it’s an unforgivable unforced error IMO. The only question will be who to blame, ownership or management, or some combination of both.

These are all fair points. Having said that, surrounding yourself with quality people and allowing them the autonomy to do their job is the difference between a great manager and a sub par one. Sub par managers frequently try to consolidate power by micro managing, getting bogged down with tasks that take up more time than they have to devote to it, and do not trust those around them to do their jobs effectively.

Brackett, under any metric, was clearly very good at his job and I see it as a huge unforced error. If Benning and Weisbrod want to be scouts, they should step down from jobs that require they do so much more than that or trust the people who make them look good.

If Clark is allowed to leave, its clearly an unforced and huge error in judgement. I dont think Benning is trusted enough to be making these decisions without direct influence from ownership. Not hiring a President while consolidating all jobs to 2 guys screams "easiest way for an owner to interfere on a daily basis". 

The organization would be far better off spending less money on middling players and more money on a quality President, GM, AGM, Scouting, and coaching. Aquilini doesnt seem to agree though.

37 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

These are all fair points. Having said that, surrounding yourself with quality people and allowing them the autonomy to do their job is the difference between a great manager and a sub par one. Sub par managers frequently try to consolidate power by micro managing, getting bogged down with tasks that take up more time than they have to devote to it, and do not trust those around them to do their jobs effectively.

Brackett, under any metric, was clearly very good at his job and I see it as a huge unforced error. If Benning and Weisbrod want to be scouts, they should step down from jobs that require they do so much more than that or trust the people who make them look good.

If Clark is allowed to leave, its clearly an unforced and huge error in judgement. I dont think Benning is trusted enough to be making these decisions without direct influence from ownership. Not hiring a President while consolidating all jobs to 2 guys screams "easiest way for an owner to interfere on a daily basis". 

The organization would be far better off spending less money on middling players and more money on a quality President, GM, AGM, Scouting, and coaching. Aquilini doesnt seem to agree though.

I don’t really disagree that much (and actually, I wholeheartedly agree with many of your points, especially when it comes to what makes a good leader and a great manager)

It’s more that I view Clark very differently from Brackett and Malhotra.

In isolation, I think losing Judd and Manny is understandable, and possible even defensible.

That doesn’t negate the losses, however. And those losses still can get counted toward a “death by a thousand cuts,” if they’re not being balanced out by wins in other areas.

Losing Clark, however, would be a Mortal Combat “Fatality” finishing move level of failure. And one that I really can’t imagine recasting as anything remotely understanding or defensible (although I somewhat look forward to seeing how the most extreme JB lovers will try).

If Clark walks, it will represent nothing less than a clear cut example of how this team is no longer functioning, at the highest levels, and requires massive, top-down changes, both to management, and very likely also to the structure/function of ownership, within hockey operations.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I don’t really disagree that much (and actually, I wholeheartedly agree with many of your points, especially when it comes to what makes a good leader and a great manager)

It’s more that I view Clark very differently from Brackett and Malhotra.

In isolation, I think losing Judd and Manny is understandable, and possible even defensible.

That doesn’t negate the losses, however. And those losses still can get counted toward a “death by a thousand cuts,” if they’re not being balanced out by wins in other areas.

Losing Clark, however, would be a Mortal Combat “Fatality” finishing move level of failure. And one that I really can’t imagine recasting as anything remotely understanding or defensible (although I somewhat look forward to seeing how the most extreme JB lovers will try).

If Clark walks, it will represent nothing less than a clear cut example of how this team is no longer functioning, at the highest levels, and requires massive, top-down changes, both to management, and very likely also to the structure/function of ownership, within hockey operations.

100% agree with this assessment.

As I very often do with your posts. Always like engaging and discussing things with you bud.

watch benning let Ian Clark walk and say he ran out of time. He will let him walk just like Toffoli, Malhotra, Tanev, Brackett etc. etc. then extend brown and baumgartner again. His mantra is to let brilliance walk and keep incompetence and mediocrity. We have the worst management after Buffalo with Wiesbrod and Benning at the top.