The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Svechnikov (Detroit)

1 minute ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I wouldn't mind the Canucks picking Svechnikov up.  He's had a much less smooth journey than Andrei so far but I think he still has promise.

I would like us to take a flyer on him, but with Vesey already being claimed and a LW and us unlikely to move any of our healthy LW not sure if it would make sense for us to claim him now.  But at 6'3 208lbs that is enticing and maybe a change of scenery would do him good

Would think a bottom feeder would take a chance on him...but a bottom feeder waived him!? Ottawa is likely tho as they will try to move a couple bodies out by the deadline.

I am all for the claim, another russian is not a bad thing with more hopefully on the way by next season. Good to have a couple guys they can hangout with/speak russian too etc, also would help for their significant others to have chit chat time in russian and be able to do things with

Ya, I don't see why you don't put in a claim for him.  It is the kind of reclamation project that makes sense.  He has never had more than one organization so could blossom under a new regime.
He hasn't been an elite scorer since junior, but .3 PPG in his short NHL career averaging under 10 minutes a night isn't a great sample to throw him away.
Another lottery card for a cheap middle six winger we need for next year as it is really unlikely that we can afford Pearson.  Honestly, we should be trying to waive a couple of players like Roussel right now in the hope some team takes a flyer for a playoff push.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ya, I don't see why you don't put in a claim for him.  It is the kind of reclamation project that makes sense.  He has never had more than one organization so could blossom under a new regime.
Another lottery card for a cheap middle six winger we need for next year as it is really unlikely that we can afford Pearson.  Honestly, we should be trying to waive a couple of players like Roussel right now in the hope some team takes a flyer for a playoff push.

Ya rooster's a b**** to play against if he has back up on a bigger team or some goons to protect him when he starts $&!#. Theres some value there that i think some GM's could see. potentially.

Edited by Johnny Torts

He's surely going to be claimed, never really given a decent opportunity to his credit. For that cap hit any team will have a go at him, low risk high reward. He's become a poor man's Virtanen sadly in Detroit but he's still young and a change of scenery might really turn his game around.

17 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

So this is Yevgeni then?

probably good to clarify this. 

Look at the title - it says Detroit.

Also, please remember that the highlight reel one plays for Carolina. Obviously he's not being put up on waivers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Even if Pearson is retained for his defensive duties with Horvat and Hoglander, the team could still use a big bodied young forward with potential.  Take all the promising young players and see who fits in where and trade/ assign the rest, because the bottom-6 needs to be re-jigged, and Svech could be a useful depth scorer at the least.  I also think that if anyone is going to have a Verhaege-type breakout with a new team, he could be the guy.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Vintage 1