The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Drake Caggiula

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

He had his chance to play with BB in 2016 and chose to sign with the Oilers instead. How much hockey sense can he have, right?

This, he had a chance once. At this point he's not someone I'd take a flyer on, I'd rather see someone like Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, or Lockwood get an opportunity. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess if he had actually impressed elsewhere, but I think we'd be hoping he's that hotshot kid coming out of college, which he's never been. Dunno, hard pass for me but otoh its not like is a huge commitment. Just don't see the fit. 

The fit is the hope he can provide depth scoring which is what this team desperately needs to succeed.  He's not a bad player if you watch him.  Just needs tofind the right "fit"

Edited by Angry Goose

2 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

The fit is the hope he can provide depth scoring which is what this team desperately needs to succeed.  He's not a bad player if you watch him.  Just needs tofind the right "fit"

but at what point is it the guy? 3 teams no "fit" yet, I don't know why it would be different here. I'd rather give one of our kids like Lind a look. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

but at what point is it the guy? 3 teams no "fit" yet, I don't know why it would be different here. I'd rather give one of our kids like Lind a look. 

It could very well be the guy.  I'm not saying the Canucks should just run out and grab him.  But if you can touch base and find out where he's at he could slot in if present canucks get traded.  It's a dice roll regardless but maybe worthwhile one because he is a decent player and perhaps a better one with certain players and is on a bargain contract. 

I can definitely tell u right now that Drake is more NHL ready than Lind

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

It could very well be the guy.  I'm not saying the Canucks should just run out and grab him.  But if you can touch base and find out where he's at he could slot in if present canucks get traded.  It's a dice roll regardless but maybe worthwhile one because he is a decent player and perhaps a better one with certain players and is on a bargain contract. 

fair enough. Its certainly a cheap addition and we might need the extra body. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

16 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

NHL ready at going on age 27, he should be. Kole Lind will be 23 in October, his upside at the NHL remains to be seen. What you see is likely what you get with Caggiula, and he hasn't exactly blown teams away in his six years at the NHL level. 

If we claimed him I'd undoubtedly support him, but I'd rather see the guys we've had stewing at the AHL level and see if they can do better. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

NHL ready at going on age 27, he should be. Kole Lind will be 23 in October, his upside at the NHL remains to be seen. What you see is likely what you get with Caggiula, and he hasn't exactly blown teams away in his six years at the NHL level. 

If we claimed him I'd undoubtedly support him, but I'd rather see the guys we've had stewing at the AHL level and see if they can do better. 

What I meant by NHL ready is that pretty much all of the Canucks prospects in the AHL right now need another full season of development time.  I like a lot of their progression so far but a full season against hopefully proper AHL comp. will serve them well.  If they show really well and get some call ups I think that will be good for their development path but I could be wrong.

I've seen Drake enough that I like his game, and wonder whether chemistry and perhaps being humbled a bit might make him a worthwhile gamble.  Of course if he has personality issues/whatever I'd just as well ignore him.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

What I meant by NHL ready is that pretty much all of the Canucks prospects in the AHL right now need another full season of development time.  I like a lot of their progression so far but a full season against hopefully proper AHL comp. will serve them well.  If they show really well and get some call ups I think that will be good for their development path but I could be wrong.

I've seen Drake enough that I like his game, and wonder whether chemistry and perhaps being humbled a bit might make him a worthwhile gamble.  Of course if he has personality issues/whatever I'd just as well ignore him.

That's fair, I agree that they'd likely be well served getting significant AHL ice. The problem is that Lind is a pending rfa, and he'll likely require waivers going forward. Jasek may as well, though he's less likely to be on someone else's radar. If Lind does require waivers, and I could be wrong on that, I could see a team taking a flyer on him as developed prospect who's likely on the cusp of making it. 

• Cheers 1