The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 3, 7 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

First step for ownership this offseason is to hire a new President.

Lombardi available this offseason?

From there let him decide what to do with Benning. If he decides to keep him then they can both work together to find a new coaching staff.

With Lombardi at the helm maybe we can convince Brindamour to come here if Carolina is dumb enough to let him walk. If that isn’t option then go through the list of qualified experienced coaches. AV? Gallant? Babcock? Doesn’t matter to me as long as they have experience building a contender.

as for our defence i have spent a lot of time analyzing thier play 5on5. schmidt generally improves every other defenders stats. if it wasn't for his defensive lapses hughes would be our best 5on5 player when he is on the ice our team gets the majority of shots. I defend myers play because he plays on the bottom pairing and gets extra minutes because of his double shifting, also he spent the most minutes with the third and 4th lines out of every defenceman.

I have suggested that myers and hughes would be a good pairing, just for the reason that they could have shorter but more shifts. keep them from getting tired.

i would rank our defenceman 5v5 like this

schmidt

myers

hamonic

hughes

edler

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

First step for ownership this offseason is to hire a new President.

Lombardi available this offseason?

From there let him decide what to do with Benning. If he decides to keep him then they can both work together to find a new coaching staff.

With Lombardi at the helm maybe we can convince Brindamour to come here if Carolina is dumb enough to let him walk. If that isn’t option then go through the list of qualified experienced coaches. AV? Gallant? Babcock? Doesn’t matter to me as long as they have experience building a contender.

Ya I was kind of thinking about Lombardi too. He would be a great add I think.

I would prefer Gallant. I am a bit biased because I know him a bit and have talked hockey with him several times. I also know a lot of players who have had him as a coach and even some who played with him. He is not a,softy but they all would go through the wall for him.

He doesnt usually last long for some reason but he knows how to build an identity and build a system around the players he has.

All the doom and gloom aside, did we all watch the game or did some just catch the scoreboard? I actually saw a little bit more jump from some of the players tonight. 

On the other hand, Pearson looked completely gassed out there and I didn't see him on a few shifts in the 3rd period unless I missed something.  Highmore got moved up to Horvat's line for a couple of shifts...  was there anything more to it or was it just a mixed line change? 

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Green looks and sounds like he is planning out his Seattle interview already. He has checked out. And Baumgartner and Brown are just incapable of finding any answers to their stale systems malfunctioning.

I don’t disagree, more pointing out that I can’t see any reason to expect it to improve too much.

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

All the doom and gloom aside, did we all watch the game or did some just catch the scoreboard? I actually saw a little bit more jump from some of the players tonight. 

On the other hand, Pearson looked completely gassed out there and I didn't see him on a few shifts in the 3rd period unless I missed something.  Highmore got moved up to Horvat's line for a couple of shifts...  was there anything more to it or was it just a mixed line change? 

I dont see effort as a problem. They try. Its a combination of lack of skill and cohesion (injuries play a part) and that the offensive style they try to play and the defensive one are like oil and water and both suffer as a result.

39 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Aquilinis are cheaping out on coaching though.

If Green walks I wouldn’t be surprised to see them hire another rookie coach from the minors.

Need more from this ownership.

Top tier coach won't sign here.. no top level coach wants to rebuild for another 3 to 5 years unless you pay them 50 million like Babs..

Top guys want to go to a contender.. even if we don't get a rookie AHL coach we won't get anyone much better than Green. 

Coach can only do so much.. we don't have the players for him to succeed.. we are filled with AHL players and waiver wire players in our bottom 6. We have no speed.. our Defense needs a massive upgrade. We don't have a 3C

Coach can only do so much.. we need better players up and down the lineup..

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Ya I was kind of thinking about Lombardi too. He would be a great add I think.

I would prefer Gallant. I am a bit biased because I know him a bit and have talked hockey with him several times. I also know a lot of players who have had him as a coach and even some who played with him. He is not a,softy but they all would go through the wall for him.

He doesnt usually last long for some reason but he knows how to build an identity and build a system around the players he has.

Funny you suggest Lombardi...  he actually fired Murray as his coach and kept him on as a scout.  

I'd love to keep Benning as head of amateur scouting. 

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont see effort as a problem. They try. Its a combination of lack of skill and cohesion (injuries play a part) and that the offensive style they try to play and the defensive one are like oil and water and both suffer as a result.

Oh definitely not, I think everyone on the team is giving it their all actually.  Lots of effort out there but they just look a step behind.  

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Top tier coach won't sign here.. no top level coach wants to rebuild for another 3 to 5 years unless you pay them 50 million like Babs..

Top guys want to go to a contender.. even if we don't get a rookie AHL coach we won't get anyone much better than Green. 

Coach can only do so much.. we don't have the players for him to succeed.. we are filled with AHL players and waiver wire players in our bottom 6. We have no speed.. our Defense needs a massive upgrade. We don't have a 3C

This is true to some degree. The roster is just not very good.

Having said that, its made more glaring by bad coaching.

I think a new gm could convince a top coach to come here.

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Their system and the lack of skill throughout the roster equals them having to work twice as hard for the same result as other teams.

Working harder for offense means they’re more tired back checking and that’s when we see so many defensive breakdowns.

We need a coach that get his players to drive play and focus on puck possession. Even with the lack of skill a team should at least be able to sustain some offensive pressure. We generate very little on a nightly basis.

Edited by DeNiro

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Any coach that has been sitting out will jump at a chance to get back in the NHL regardless of the opportunity.

Its up to the Aquilinis to pony up the dough though.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Tortorella was a top coach and he came here despite a poor roster.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Their system and the lack of skill throughout the roster equals them having to work twice as hard for the same result as other teams.

Working harder for offense means they’re more tired back checking and that’s when we see so many defensive breakdowns.

We need a coach that get his players to drive play and focus on puck possession. Even with the lack of skill a team should at least be able to sustain some offensive pressure. We generate very little on a mighty basis.

This is a critical problem. I totally agree.

Look at a typical shift for the Canucks starting in their end. The D hangs onto the puck too long before making a pass. This is usually because the forwards are not in a good spot to take a pass at speed. As a result when they do get the puck they dump it in but arent moving fast enough to get in to retrieve the puck. The other team (if they have even moderate ability to break the puck out) turn it up the other way. The forecheckers then have to get back, the defense tries to control the gap but often gets beat with speed. Once the other team is in their zone, the Canucks collapse and play a passive 5 man box. They then get hemmed in. If they do get the puck back, the D in the corner gets pressured because tge other team knows the wingers are cheating for a breakout, leaving soneone wide open to snipe it in if they get the puck back.

Cant even describe how often I have seen that this season.

Having said that, they were far more aggressive tonight in the defensive zone.

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Which new GM would convince which top coach? 

Only thing that will do the convincing is 5+ million per year for 5+ years. 

No way Aqua can afford that.. he's already spending max cap and losing 10s of millions. Can't expect more out of an owner during a pandemic ..

No point spending 5 or 6 mill per year on a coach for a bottom 5 team. This team needs to finish rebuild... then in 4 or 5 years bring in a coach to finish the job...

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

i see it as we need a improvement on our third and 4th line actually. besides edler they haven't been that bad considering the circumstances. hughes should have a true top 2 defenceman to play with, but not schmidt someone bigger like hamilton. if we could sign hamilton and trade schmidt or myers i would do that in a heartbeat. it would probably mean running two d under a mill but that is probably fine.