The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 3, 7 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is a critical problem. I totally agree.

Look at a typical shift for the Canucks starting in their end. The D hangs onto the puck too long before making a pass. This is usually because the forwards are not in a good spot to take a pass at speed. As a result when they do get the puck they dump it in but arent moving fast enough to get in to retrieve the puck. The other team (if they have even moderate ability to break the puck out) turn it up the other way. The forecheckers then have to get back, the defense tries to control the gap but often gets beat with speed. Once the other team is in their zone, the Canucks collapse and play a passive 5 man box. They then get hemmed in. If they do get the puck back, the D in the corner gets pressured because tge other team knows the wingers are cheating for a breakout, leaving soneone wide open to snipe it in if they get the puck back.

Cant even describe how often I have seen that this season.

Having said that, they were far more aggressive tonight in the defensive zone.

I lost count of how many passes missed by 1 or 2 feet or the back foot of the receiver ending up on Edmonton sticks

• Like 1

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Which new GM would convince which top coach? 

Only thing that will do the convincing is 5+ million per year for 5+ years. 

No way Aqua can afford that.. he's already spending max cap and losing 10s of millions. Can't expect more out of an owner during a pandemic ..

No point spending 5 or 6 mill per year on a coach for a bottom 5 team. This team needs to finish rebuild... then in 4 or 5 years bring in a coach to finish the job...

I would leep Green before I would keep Benning and Weisbrod to be honest. 

This team could be a pretty good team in short order if they take the ability to screw the cap up any further away from Benning. 

It needs a President and a GM. And if they actually hire respected people, they can probably get a good coach to want to come on board without having to pay that much. There are good coaches out there that would probably value the opportunity more than the dollars.

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Their system and the lack of skill throughout the roster equals them having to work twice as hard for the same result as other teams.

Working harder for offense means they’re more tired back checking and that’s when we see so many defensive breakdowns.

We need a coach that get his players to drive play and focus on puck possession. Even with the lack of skill a team should at least be able to sustain some offensive pressure. We generate very little on a nightly basis.

other than motte,miller,horvat,petterson,hughes,hoglander we have no play drivers everyone else is north to south players. we are also in need of a real playmaker other than hughes and petterson, maybe hoglander or podkolzin can be those players.

• Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This team could be a pretty good team in short order if they take the ability to screw the cap up any further away from Benning. 

It needs a President and a GM. And if they actually hire respected people, they can probably get a good coach to want to come on board without having to pay that much. There are good coaches out there that would probably value the opportunity more than the dollars.

Give me a few examples of these coaches.. which top tier ones do you have in mind that would come to Vancouver on a cheap contract around 2mill or less. Because Aqua not paying more than that and nor should he.. not on a rebuilding bottom feeder team..

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Yup, Benning fails at contracts/cap & asset management, big-time. We had people in this organization with better skills in this area in the past.

He was completely disloyal to players, who would have clearly been better cogs for this machine.

By contrast, he’s been ultra-loyal to the wrong set of players,..perhaps due to some emotional frailty, his pride & in one case, an ego that simply will not admit to making a mistake about the character, maturity, intelligence or professionslism of a player. 

Edited by viking mama

I really think we need to take next year and do what the Sens did this year. Play the young guys. Let them grow into a team together. Sure, you will take some lumps but look at how the Sens are playing right now compared to earlier in the year. 

I would be perfectly fine with something like this. Fill those bottom 6 spots with a true 2 way, responsible defensive 3C that can allow Bo's line to lean more into the secondary offensive role rather than the matchup role. And 4th liners who can use their body more effectively. Guys like Highmore and Hawryluk are fine but upgrades would be better.

On D really we still need a true #1 RHD with size who can play in all situations. That will let Hughes do what he does. 

Miller-EP-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin

Pearson-______-Lind

Motte-______-Gadjovich

Highmore, Hawryluk, MacEwen, etc.

Hughes-True #1 RHD 

Schmidt-Myers

Juolevi-Hamonic

Rathbone, Bowey, etc.

Edit: mix the top 6 if you like, but that should be our top 6 barring any game changers being brought in.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Give me a few examples of these coaches.. which top tier ones do you have in mind that would come to Vancouver on a cheap contract around 2mill or less. Because Aqua not paying more than that and nor should he.. not on a rebuilding bottom feeder team..

I cant say what coaches would or wouldnt sign for. But i do know several guys who have coached at the nhl level and money isnt always their primary concern. 

If Aquilini wants to actually save money he will find a GM who doesnt waste it and a coach who can get this team back on the path to competitiveness. Its an investment that will pay dividends.

3 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Fire Aquilini!

this is the true culprit to our demise, more than benning more than green. dude just cheaped out and linden should never have been fired. this was bennings first job and he needed someone to bounce ideas off. Linden deserved better.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

this is the true culprit to our demise, more than benning more than green. dude just cheaped out and linden should never have been fired. this was bennings first job and he needed someone to bounce ideas off. Linden deserved better.

We all knew it was going to end that way. Linden's "plan" would have the team further ahead right now. I have no doubt about that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DS4quality said:

If it were up to me, I'd pay whatever Rod "the bod" Brind'Amour wants and bring his staff too to keep him happy.

yes!!! i dont think we got players as good as carolina but, young players like ours shouldnt be playing so passively, and there is much ice we dont utilize on the pp. the best PP'S have players ripping through defenders zone's drawing pk's out of position. honestly our pp looks like a cpu player from nhl 21.

there have been a few times we have played more aggresively and we get more chances. the PP is not a time to be safe.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

We all knew it was going to end that way. Linden's "plan" would have the team further ahead right now. I have no doubt about that.

i dont believe in a true buffalo or edmonton rebuild but i do agree that we made a few too many gudbranson type trades, some are ok because you never know, but believe we pulled the trigger on those types of trades too early. 2015 everyone knew what the rock was cooking, i think aquilini just thought he ccould buy his way out of it. and benning? why did he sign all those defensive players because i think he was trying to build a d powerhouse like boston, but as he was doing that the nhl changed. d is not king anymore, its speed,skill and size

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

i dont believe in a true buffalo or edmonton rebuild but i do agree that we made a few too many gudbranson type trades, some are ok because you never know, but believe we pulled the trigger on those types of trades too early. 2015 everyone knew what the rock was cooking, i think aquilini just thought he ccould buy his way out of it. and benning? why did he sign all those defensive players because i think he was trying to build a d powerhouse like boston, but as he was doing that the nhl changed. d is not king anymore, its speed,skill and size

You are absolutely right about them trying to buy their way out of it and building an outdated team. 100%.

I think we are at the point where guys like Miller, Horvat, Boeser, Myers, Schmidt and Pearson are enough "veteran presence" to keep the ship moving forward with more young guys in the lineup. 

I think its time to let this group grow together as a young group. If they dont they are just going to roll over into a new rebuild sooner rather than later. 

This offseason is not the time to sign a bunch of overpaid vets. Next year is when a new gm could start surrounding the core with upgrades.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Our power play should be a lot better than it is. Get Pearson off pp1 and use 2 dmen until EP is back. Miller-Horvat-Boeser-Hughes-Schmidt. Hoglander, Lind, Pearson, Myers, Juolevi on pp2.

they have been changing it up, they set up hughes for a one timer, unfortunately he only has a ok shot. my favorite plays is when they pass it to boeser then miller then feed horvat for a onetimer in the slot. i believe sometimes they need boeser to walk up to the point and feed a moving hughes so he can make plays down low or pass back to boeser and feed miller a one timer. hughes is the key imo

Edited by Petey_BOI

46 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Yup, Benning fails at contracts/cap & asset management, big-time. We had people in this organization with better skills in this area in the past.

He was completely disloyal to players, who would have clearly been better cogs for this machine.

By contrast, he’s been ultra-loyal to the wrong set of players,..perhaps due to some emotional frailty, his pride & in one case, an ego that simply will not admit to making a mistake about the character, maturity, intelligence or professionalism of a player. 

Maybe that player that JB refuses to acknowledge as "being a a mistake due to the lack of character, maturity, intelligence and  professionalism" will be in Jail in 3 months and Uncle Jim will get off the hot-seat and never have to admit he F'd -up and should have signed TT  instead !

• Cheers 1