The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 3, 7 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep.

But they will re-sign him out of loyalty and we’ll see another season of him being deployed as our top D man.

Sad that it been 7 years and we still don’t have anyone to step in and replace Edler. Shows how poor of a job Benning has done building up our D.

He wasn’t our worst D tonight

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep.

But they will re-sign him out of loyalty and we’ll see another season of him being deployed as our top D man.

Sad that its been 7 years and we still don’t have anyone to step in and replace Edler. Shows how poor of a job Benning has done building up our D.

I think Schmidt can handle that (not in the same way obviously) but he's a solid two-way defenseman.  It's Benning being unable to replace the role Tanev had after umpteen years that is the real problem imho.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Just now, Cromeslab said:

He wasn’t our worst D tonight

Which is really just about us not having a good D core to begin with.

Hughes is constantly on the ice for goals against because of bad reads

Myers is constantly hot and cold 

Schmidt looks like a completely different player than he was on Vegas

Hamonic is probably our most steady D man and even he had a poor night

The D needs an overhaul. I’d let Edler walk and dump Schmidt or Myers. Time to rebuild the top four with another defensive coach.

2 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Great point.  ^

Hughes is a second year pro.  A small kid. 

He is being overplayed by this coaching staff night in and night out.

People talk about putting players in a position to succeed.  That does not mean overplaying a young kid to see if he can get the green jacket.

He should be more sheltered by this coaching staff but he is not.  

On a better team he would play a ton on the pp but he would play less 5 vs 5 and would not have the toughest matchups.  He is an offensive  young d man.

Playing him ragged is really a foolish way to develop him.

But of course some bright bulb  will come on here and argue that there is nothing wrong with this because doing nothing to change things is the "calm" approach,

Passive fans accepting of poor coaching and management is not going to equate to a winning culture nor is it going to develop our young stars properly when they are not being handled properly right now.

i dont think anyone will argue with this, the last 9 games hughes needed  less time  maybe even 15-16 minutes, or at least a day off. but green and hughes want to win so bad  they have blinders on.

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

i don't like it either, but if his value drops to like 5 million thats good right? or does he demand a trade?

I’d rather a properly developed product to be honest. But yeah I don’t expect a huge contract. I don’t know if anyone demands a trade. The teams been through a lot this year but they did it together. I see a team playing their heart out but it’s like climbing Mount Everest. I think fans a just a little paranoid and on edge right now imo 

Just now, DeNiro said:

Which is really just about us not having a good D core to begin with.

Hughes is constantly on the ice for goals against because of bad reads

Myers is constantly hot and cold 

Schmidt looks like a completely different player than he was on Vegas

Hamonic is probably our most steady D man and even he had a poor night

The D needs an overhaul. I’d let Edler walk and dump Schmidt or Myers. Time to rebuild the top four with another defensive coach.

For me,it starts with Hughes,he played too much but green can’t figure out to deploy him

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I really question the handling of Hughes right now. He looks terrible. His minutes need to be dialed back or even rest him a few of the remaining games. Let him recover because he is clearly not in top shape. Burning him out at this point makes no sense for the future.

And playing him this much isnt helping the team either.

Give Rathbone a few games. And Bowey. And Juolevi a few with bigger minutes. Give Schmidt the pp time if Hughes is sitting or even try Rathbone.

This kid looks like he is going to collapse every time he is on the ice and his decision making is cloudy af. Rest him or cut his minutes down, the season is already over ffs.

Yes.  This is a key reason why people think Green is the wrong coach.  ^

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I have watched the Canucks since the late 70's. This team doesnt have that "It" factor. It doesnt feel like a truly cohesive group that would go through a wall for each other. 

The coaching has gone from mediocre to outright $&!# since covid hit. It feels like Green and company have checked out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I really question the handling of Hughes right now. He looks terrible. His minutes need to be dialed back or even rest him a few of the remaining games. Let him recover because he is clearly not in top shape. Burning him out at this point makes no sense for the future.

Give Rathbone a few games. And Bowey. And Juolevi a few with bigger minutes. Give Schmidt the pp time if Hughes is sitting or even try Rathbone.

This kid looks like he is going to collapse every time he is on the ice and his decision making is cloudy af. Rest him or cut his minutes down, the season is already over ffs.

Totally agree....Green has no fracking clue....#FIREGREEN

Just now, philtbc829 said:

5 losses in a row and counting....hopefully this will help with Management letting Green and his tow assistants go at the end of the season....

Aquilinis are cheaping out on coaching though.

If Green walks I wouldn’t be surprised to see them hire another rookie coach from the minors.

Need more from this ownership.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I’m really choked about it honestly. What are they thinking? I wouldn’t scratch him though, could you imagine the media.

Play him 15-16 minutes a game. Let him work on his game, get it confidence back. It’s not fair to the player running him 22-24 minutes a night. He’s 21 years old ffs. Like any player he needs development. Gotta stop throwing him to the wolves 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Aquilinis are cheaping out on coaching though.

If Green walks I wouldn’t be surprised to see them hire another rookie coach from the minors.

Need more from this ownership.

This team needs an experienced coach who knows how to build an identity and a system that works with the personnel he has.

First it needs a GM who knows how to build around a core to give that coach the players he needs and manage the cap.

Honestly, a good coach even for a few years would be Gerard Gallant.

• Cheers 1