The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDP to vote with Conservatives on C-10

9 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

c10 protects us from outrageous lies on the internet. It makes people who make money off the internet as a broadcaster accountable for the information they spread online. if you get caught lying your going to be fined and even jailed if serious enough.

I'm not surprised the far right is worried about C10. But all they have to do is get a VPN and move their stuff over to a US site and they'll find a home again quickly.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not surprised the far right is worried about C10. But all they have to do is get a VPN and move their stuff over to a US site and they'll find a home again quickly.

im down for media to be accountable for politically charged posts. no more opinions on jewish space lasers,

just kidding we all read american content now.

• Cheers 2

On 5/3/2021 at 10:17 AM, stawns said:

Why?

I'll bet in 10-15 years they will the chosen government, especially if they merge with the greens

Well I hope that doesn't happen I have never been a fan of the NDP there too attached to the public sector and I hope we all won't forget what the NDP did to us in the 90's here in BC and what there doing to us right now

12 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Well I hope that doesn't happen I have never been a fan of the NDP there too attached to the public sector and I hope we all won't forget what the NDP did to us in the 90's here in BC and what there doing to us right now

what's the problem with the public sector?  It certainly puts more money into the pockets of people, rather than corporations.  I'll never understand how easily the average joe is bamboozled by private corporations into thinking they are better for the average citizen.  It's mind boggling.

In 10-15 years the climate will be the primary issue facing humankind and the NDP and Greens will likely be at the forefront of that fight, thus they will likely have a lot more political power.

• RoughGame 1

16 hours ago, Russ said:

We need oversight to make our media back to being real journalism and no longer this biased crap on both sides.  Put facts down in black and white, none of this grey to sway one side of people or the other.  I don't need a fox news vs CNN (american are more biased than Canadian media for my example) where they both pander to the far side of each party.  We need media thats in the center, giving straight up facts and not opinions.  Problem is that'll probably never happen. 

CNN doesn't pander that much, not their actual news division anyway.  People forget that much of cable news are opinion shows, not news.   The problem isn't cable news, it's media illiterate people who don't know how to filter facts from opinion or determine credible from not credible.  That said, there should be accountability for spewing misinformation, no question, but I can see why the right would be freaking out over that, that's pretty much their entire gameplan

• RoughGame 1

18 hours ago, stawns said:

Honestly anyone who has gone through this pandemic and doesn't think we need some kind of regulation or oversight on media is our of their minds.

As far as Canadian content?  We used to have rules requiring a high standard of canadian content and actually did create a canadian media/entertainment industry

I agree there should be accountability for news outlets that spread false information, however I don't agree with this agenda that the CRTC deems what is suitable or what isn't suitable.

I think people nowadays, at least educated people, are smarter than to simply trust everything the media spews at them. People could do their own research and look into a variety of different sources rather than just the news media.

The problem for me is that if the CRTC regulates certain content and people want to be able to explore or view other things, what gives the CRTC the right to take away that option of yours? If an individual wants to watch American-based content but it has been regulated, then that's something taken away from them. Maybe some people prefer American content and find it more entertaining? 

This is all just a matter of my opinion though.

I understand the intent is to promote Canadian content but, frankly, I think a bill that regulates and censors professional content that people want to see is a bit overboard.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So we have to keep in mind a couple of things here:

1. The bill is being introduced in a minority government, so right off the start its going to need NDP support to pass. There's just no way you could get a bill with Chinese-style designs through. 

2. For creators, if its your creation there's no issue. You are already governed by things like hate speech and copyright law. If you are Canadian, its already Canadian content.

But imagine you are a creator, and someone is using your content and not paying for it fairly, that sucks for the artist and needs a remedy. Thats one of the things its trying to deal with. 

Fair points. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I agree there should be accountability for news outlets that spread false information, however I don't agree with this agenda that the CRTC deems what is suitable or what isn't suitable.

I think people nowadays, at least educated people, are smarter than to simply trust everything the media spews at them. People could do their own research and look into a variety of different sources rather than just the news media.

The problem for me is that if the CRTC regulates certain content and people want to be able to explore or view other things, what gives the CRTC the right to take away that option of yours? If an individual wants to watch American-based content but it has been regulated, then that's something taken away from them. Maybe some people prefer American content and find it more entertaining? 

This is all just a matter of my opinion though.

I understand the intent is to promote Canadian content but, frankly, I think a bill that regulates and censors professional content that people want to see is a bit overboard.

because people are dumb and ignorant.  If the average canadian had any decent research and criticsal thinking skills, then sure.  Clearly they do not and "do your own research" has become the mantra of the gullible and easily radicalized.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

what's the problem with the public sector?  It certainly puts more money into the pockets of people, rather than corporations.  I'll never understand how easily the average joe is bamboozled by private corporations into thinking they are better for the average citizen.  It's mind boggling.

In 10-15 years the climate will be the primary issue facing humankind and the NDP and Greens will likely be at the forefront of that fight, thus they will likely have a lot more political power.

Doubt it. Even through all the scandals among the other political parties, ndp has never come anywhere close to being more than a third rate party.

29 minutes ago, stawns said:

because people are dumb and ignorant.  If the average canadian had any decent research and criticsal thinking skills, then sure.  Clearly they do not and "do your own research" has become the mantra of the gullible and easily radicalized.

I'd like to think that the average Canadian is pretty reasonable. It's the small group of idiots that speak the loudest because they feel infringed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I fully agree.

There is a large amount of people in the world that fully rely on the what's being spewed to the public and are simply misinformed through their naivety.

It's exactly what the media takes advantage of. 

However, like @Dazzle said, I do believe Canadians are more reasonable and educated to think for themselves than people from a lot of other countries. 

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Doubt it. Even through all the scandals among the other political parties, ndp has never come anywhere close to being more than a third rate party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Democratic_Party#Rise_under_Jack_Layton

"

Official Opposition[edit]

300px-Thomas-Mulcair-NDP-Leadership-Acce

Thomas Mulcair gives his acceptance speech after winning the NDP Leadership on March 24, 2012

In the 2011 federal election the NDP won a record 103 seats, becoming the Official Opposition for the first time in the party's history. The party had a historic breakthrough in Quebec, where they won 59 out of 75 seats. "

good enough for second place.

On 5/3/2021 at 10:57 AM, Heretic said:

:sick:

If the country gives the Liberals a majority, it just proves that those voters are as much of an idiot as Trudeau.

Ahhh the ol' everyone's wrong but me' trope. Love it.

Edited by Primal Optimist
  • RoughGame 1

Feds plan change to Bill C-10 to make it ‘crystal clear’ social media uploads won’t be regulated

https://globalnews.ca/news/7829583/social-media-free-speech-regulation-bill-c-10-broadcasting/

Because, you know, the good folks across the aisle would have you believe otherwise and lots of folks just drink whatever the CON MEN put in the cool aid.

Edited by Primal Optimist
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd say pretty damn well. We're not ranked #1 in the world often on annual lists of best places to live for no reason.

It';s easy to look at a neighbour and think "i'd like me some of that"

Until it's time to live with the neighbour

we're not bad but we're far FAR from perfect

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It';s easy to look at a neighbour and think "i'd like me some of that"

Until it's time to live with the neighbour

we're not bad but we're far FAR from perfect

thats very true, but there aren't many places I'd rather be, and certainly not for life other than Canada. 

Our biggest self-inflicted wound at the moment is the debt, not sure how we get out from under that. 

1 hour ago, gurn said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Democratic_Party#Rise_under_Jack_Layton

"

Official Opposition[edit]

300px-Thomas-Mulcair-NDP-Leadership-Acce

Thomas Mulcair gives his acceptance speech after winning the NDP Leadership on March 24, 2012

In the 2011 federal election the NDP won a record 103 seats, becoming the Official Opposition for the first time in the party's history. The party had a historic breakthrough in Quebec, where they won 59 out of 75 seats. "

good enough for second place.

10 years ago... The Canucks run was about the same time. Ever since then, NDP has been in decline.

2 hours ago, gurn said:

What do you, think they did, to us?

I remember Glenn Clark lying about a balanced budget to get elected and a fast ferry project that put us in the poor house......I could keep going