The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion/poll] Trent Cull - next coach of the Canucks?

Rate this topic

JM_

Cull as Head Coach - do you approve?   

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IF the org decides to move on from Green, it ought to be in order to bring in an established guy who has a history of coaching a team in a manner they feel is lacking in Green.

..like a guy who can actually draw up systems that work, perhaps. I actually think Green is a good coach in many ways, and there's always a risk involved. 

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup Bieksa would be a great coach. I wonder if his family would want to move tho.

Bieksa deserves to stay loved as an ex canuck, not hated as a coach.

Plus, he doesnt strike me as coach material. A coach's job isnt to keep things loose or buddy around with the players. I think the media is more his style.

• Vintage 1

I hope Green is re-signed for 2 years.

I think after going thru covid with the team they've been through a lot. Even as playoff chances have dimmed the guys still seem to be playing for Travis. I don't think they've tuned him out yet. Compared to AV, Willie D & Torts, I've thought Green has done a good job of giving players a shot at developing, and he seems to rely less on weird favourites, like AV with Rome etc.

I think after some shuffling if the Canucks don't improve with a more normal, covid-free season, they should consider firing him and replacing him with a known NHL coach with lots of experience, like Bylsma or Gallant. I also wonder about P Maurice's shelf-life and think he would be a good fit here.

As far as AHL candidates - I think Karl Taylor is the #1 guy to look in the AHL.

Edit: If any coach is replaced I'd put my vote toward Baumer. The D system was abysmal to start the year and although the Canucks got it together, I don't know if that was redeemable.

Edited by Teemu Selänne
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Bieksa deserves to stay loved as an ex canuck, not hated as a coach.

Plus, he doesnt strike me as coach material. A coach's job isnt to keep things loose or buddy around with the players. I think the media is more his style.

have to disagree, those communication skills and knowledge would translate well to a defensive coach. But I suspect his family would prefer to stay in Disneyland for now. 

On 5/9/2021 at 4:14 AM, CptCanuck16 said:

While I agree with you, the other half of CDC seems to think Green is the best coach ever and he'd have multiple Cups by now if he wasn't stuck with 'talentless bums' like Hughes and Boeser.  No clue where this unwavering fan boy devotion comes from.  I don't get it at all.  Replacing Green with an NHL caliber staff is sorely needed. No more AHL experiments.  Been there,  tried that. Next!

Yeah, I don't get the lovefest either. Green and his assistants have the best roster the Canucks team have had in years. You're telling me that Tanev and Markstrom were the reasons why the Canucks are a night and day difference from last year?

Explains a lot why Calgary got kicked out before the playoffs too...

Green is an ok coach. He's not the best that is for sure. And if we're a fanbase that wants to win, not just be stuck with mediocrity, it is incredibly bizarre to be stuck with a guy who has limited experience with winning. The guy barely has won more than WD, and his rosters were garbage by comparison. Not a shred of exciting talent like Boeser or Hughes.

Edited by Dazzle

10 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

This thread seems like dejavu. It totally reminds me of the darkest days under Willie Desjardins and the prospect of a young AHL coach with a good repoir with the young guys. 

Now instead of Travis Green replacing WD it’s another AHL coach replacing Green.

Get a real coach already!

And yet this fanbase is screaming about how Benning's team is mediocre... So they are fine with a coach that has proven he is mediocre.

This fanbase is hilariously obtuse.

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Green will be resigned. 

I'd be fine with that if we could make some changes to his AC's. Not sure its not all a package deal tho.

But... they did try Hughes and Rathbone on the PP last night, so maybe there's hope we'll see something different. Having Petey, Hughes, Rathbone, Boser and Miller or Bo should be a hell of a PP unit. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

have to disagree, those communication skills and knowledge would translate well to a defensive coach. But I suspect his family would prefer to stay in Disneyland for now. 

We can agree to disagree. He has no coaching experience that I know of. That makes him a hard no for me. This team needs some experienced assistant coaches imo, especially if Green is staying.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

We can agree to disagree. He has no coaching experience that I know of. That makes him a hard no for me. This team needs some experienced assistant coaches imo, especially if Green is staying.

but he does have a wealth of experience and is a good communicator. I'm sure he can run a drill, and he'd certainly have the kind of in-game advice for the guys the team needs more of.

I just can't see him being worse than Baumer. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but he does have a wealth of experience and is a good communicator. I'm sure he can run a drill, and he'd certainly have the kind of in-game advice for the guys the team needs more of.

I just can't see him being worse than Baumer. 

He has experience as a player but so do many other people. Doesnt mean they can coach at the NHL level. They dont need in game advice or glory days anecdotes. They need a solid, cohesive defensive system that plays to their individual and collective strengths. With zero coaching experience, Bieksa is not the guy to do that imo. 

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He has experience as a player but so do many other people. Doesnt mean they can coach at the NHL level. They dont need in game advice or glory days anecdotes. They need a solid, cohesive defensive system that plays to their individual and collective strengths. With zero coaching experience, Bieksa is not the guy to do that imo. 

um, you don't think guys need in game advice from their coaches? 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

um, you don't think guys need in game advice from their coaches? 

Not every former player is a good nhl coach. The Canucks at this point need a Rick Bowness type with experience building defensive systems, not another Baumgartner one who doesnt and who has the whole D playing like he did. 6 

15 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not every former player is a good nhl coach. The Canucks at this point need a Rick Bowness type with experience building defensive systems, not another Baumgartner one who doesnt and who has the whole D playing like he did. 6 

thats true, I just don't think we can exclude Bieska from that role per se because he'd be a rookie assistant coach.

I think we both agree we need some serious upgrades here tho.

43 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true, I just don't think we can exclude Bieska from that role per se because he'd be a rookie assistant coach.

I think we both agree we need some serious upgrades here tho.

Absolutely agree. I am not saying exclude him if he has interest. I just think building a system that fits the players hasnt kept up with the times or circumstances with this coaching group. They are still playing a dump and chase offense and a passive defense which of course was necessary with some of the previous players we had. But this group seems more suited to a more puck possession style offense and a more aggressive defensive style.

• Vintage 1