The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion/poll] Trent Cull - next coach of the Canucks?

Rate this topic

JM_

Cull as Head Coach - do you approve?   

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I usually defend Travis, but last night's decision to leave Hoglander on the bench with the Jets' net empty was baffling.

You're already out of the playoffs, you have a rookie looking for his first NHL hatty and you park him on the bench?

Dude, WTF | Know Your Meme

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I like Green and think they should bring him back. Like others I'm puzzled as to why it's so quiet, considering Benning has openly stated they want him back.

I can only think of 3 explanations

1) Green is just driving too hard a bargain, but this one seems unlikely considering their (reportedly) has been little actual negotiating.

2) Ownership is meddling in this decision like they did with Torts, and they want someone else - for whatever reason. (disliking Green or going cheap)

3) Ownership is seriously considering replacing Benning, and then perhaps leaving this decision for the new GM.

3rd option seems the most likely to me.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I like Green and think they should bring him back. Like others I'm puzzled as to why it's so quiet, considering Benning has openly stated they want him back.

I can only think of 3 explanations

1) Green is just driving too hard a bargain, but this one seems unlikely considering their (reportedly) has been little actual negotiating.

2) Ownership is meddling in this decision like they did with Torts, and they want someone else - for whatever reason. (disliking Green or going cheap)

3) Ownership is seriously considering replacing Benning, and then perhaps leaving this decision for the new GM.

3rd option seems the most likely to me.

Probably this...

I don't remember what the number was, but there were reports of Brind'amour signing for a very team friendly number in Raleigh....that has tp throw a monkey wrench into the plans of every other coach looking for a new deal.

On 5/13/2021 at 6:27 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Probably this...

I don't remember what the number was, but there were reports of Brind'amour signing for a very team friendly number in Raleigh....that has tp throw a monkey wrench into the plans of every other coach looking for a new deal.

Carolina is an exception to a lot of rules with that owner, they did the same thing with Waddell before the pandemic even began. Our coach should be making at least $2 Million USD per year in a market like this. FFS, Babcock was making $5 Million in Toronto after he left Detroit. Sure, our market isn't as big as Toronto's but our coach shouldn't be making 1/5 what Toronto's makes. Just my $0.02 

Cull seems like a complete sideways move with nothing suggesting he’d be any improvement on Green. I’d like an experienced coach as well but the only names that seem to be available right now are Babcock, hard no, and Gallant, softer no.

If a coaching change is made I’d be looking a someone who is currently an NHL assistant coach like Lane Lambert from the Islanders, Rocky Thompson in San Jose or Kirk Muller ex-Montreal. I’d be interviewing many other guys like Bennett in Colorado who has been a long-time assistant for a couple of other clubs. Find an assistant from a team that is successful at playing a style that suits our core and build from there.