The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion/poll] Trent Cull - next coach of the Canucks?

Rate this topic

JM_

Cull as Head Coach - do you approve?   

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is who we need to get our pussy-cats whipped into shape.   Enough of the pampering Yoga sessions, back massages, psychotherapy, food nutritionist, nail polishing and tarrot card reading BS supplied by management to the players.   We need a real man to step in and take our soft, finessed players from boyhood into manhood and teach them what it takes to win and beat the soft, euro-style Swedish influence out of them that has hampered this team for 18 years! 

Tigers the Man to do it !

Former NHL star Tiger Williams's sexual-assault trial set for June -  CityNews Toronto

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

curious - why no to Gallant? you were one of the only people right about Loui Eriksson before that happened so I'd like to know why you think Gallant would suck.

Because he is not Green. Some people are scared of change because they fear it will be worse.

Gallant would be a great fit. Best coach not currently coaching and an identity builder.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Because he is not Green. Some people are scared of change because they fear it will be worse.

Gallant would be a great fit. Best coach not currently coaching and an identity builder.

yeah but thats not @aGENT 

I actually would be very interested to see what Galant did with our group, and I like the tie in with Schmidt. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

curious - why no to Gallant? you were one of the only people right about Loui Eriksson before that happened so I'd like to know why you think Gallant would suck.

Seems to be something akin to a Torts type coach who can get short term results but wears thin in short order. That's not remotely what we need IMO.

We're already going to have enough ongoing change with the team as we continue to filter in kids, age out vets and replace around the fringes with UFA's and trades etc as the young core officially transitions in to the driver's seat. 

We need coaching stability during that IMO. Whether that's Green and new assistants, or a new guy etc... It needs to be with a view of that guy ideally being here like 5+/- years IMO. Not a coaching carousel every couple years (which Gallant would be IMO).

I also remain unconvinced that coaching (other than perhaps Baumgartner) is particularly the problem anyway.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Seems to be something akin to a Torts type coach who can get short term results but wears thin in short order. That's not remotely what we need IMO.

We're already going to have enough ongoing change with the team as we continue to filter in kids, age out vets and replace around the fringes with UFA's and trades etc as the young core officially transitions in to the driver's seat. 

We need coaching stability during that IMO. Whether that's Green and new assistants, or a new guy etc... It needs to be with a view of that guy ideally being here like 5+/- years IMO. Not a coaching carousel every couple years (which Gallant would be IMO).

I also remain unconvinced that coaching (other than perhaps Baumgartner) is particularly the problem anyway.

interesting. Did he 'wear thin' in Vegas or just run into an impatient owner? I got the impression maybe Stone was pissy with him but I wasn't watching that closely.

Good point about stability tho. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah but thats not @aGENT 

I actually would be very interested to see what Galant did with our group, and I like the tie in with Schmidt. 

Agent has sort of lost his ability to be objective or admit Benning or Green have made any mistakes at all. He leans hard into the opinion that anyone else in those roles could not possibly be better.

Now that Gorton got fired, they should take a hard look at him imo. 

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Agent has sort of lost his ability to be objective or admit Benning or Green have made any mistakes at all. He leans hard into the opinion that anyone else in those roles could not possibly be better.

Now that Gorton got fired, they should take a hard look at him imo. 

That's laughable.

I've posted directly to you mistakes I feel Benning has made, including the Eriksson one Jimmy pointed out in that very post.

And I'd love for you to quote anything I've written where my opinion was that nobody else could be better. Usual straw man nonsense to suit your silly narratives.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This is where I will disagree. 

Gallant is really nothing like Torts as a coach. He is a players coach and I have never heard any player say anything other than they love playing for him. He demands accountability from every player, not just the ones he does not like. And he plays a structured D system but pairs that with an offensive environment that allows creativity. 

The Tom Rowe situation in Florida cannot be held against Gallant. That was a $&!# show. 

Gallant has not been fired early because of his results or his coaching. He has been fired mostly because he doesnt get pushed around by executives and believes in his system and style. He was the scapegoat in Vegas, pure and simple.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's laughable.

I've posted directly to you mistakes I feel Benning has made, including the Eriksson one Jimmy pointed out in that very post.

And I'd love for you to quote anything I've written where my opinion was that nobody else could be better. Usual straw man nonsense to suit your silly narratives.

You just posted that Gallant is like Torts. They are not alike at all in style, systems, or how they coach and interact with players.

The only similarity really is they both got fired but under very different circumstances and for very different reasons.

If you dont even actually know anything about Gallant as a coach, how do you automatically know he will be worse than Green?

A new GM and Gallant could turn this team around pretty quickly I think.

They for sure would be better at both ends of the ice with his systems.

Still need a GM who can build out a team properly though. If we had a new GM and kept Green with better assistants I would be fine with that.

Green is not the main problem, Benning and Weisbrod are. But coaching could definitely be improved.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You just posted that Gallant is like Torts. They are not alike at all in style, systems, or how they coach and interact with players.

The only similarity really is they both got fired but under very different circumstances and for very different reasons.

If you dont even actually know anything about Gallant as a coach, how do you automatically know he will be worse than Green?

I was not referring to their coaching systems.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I was not referring to their coaching systems.

You were referring to them not lasting long. Torts has lasted a long time everywhere but Vancouver actually. Gallant was in Florida and was fired because Tom Rowe was trying to take over the team. Players there were shocked and upset he was fired. Vegas fired him as a scapegoat, no other reason really. Players there also were upset he was fired.

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The Canucks need a strong, experienced coach who can lead the team, build an identity and a cohesive style, and utilize players in the right roles.

Gallant checks all those boxes for me.

I don't recall Gallant as a player, but checking his stats he carved out a pretty decent career: https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/g/gallage01.html

Has a pretty solid winning percentage as a coach. 

I am curious why both FLA and Vegas canned him tho. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

What are the chances that if Green walks this offseason that we see Benning promote Trent Cull to head coach? 

I'm not advocating one way or the other, just want to know how CDC would view this. These are the major points I see:

Main Positives for the promotion:

- winning record in 4 years as AHL head coach

- knows our prospects well

Main Negavies:

- rookie NHL coach

- no NHL playing experience 

Here's the assistant group he may bring with him, including Sanford as a possible replacement for Ian Clark if he walks too: http://www.uticacomets.com/team/hockey-operations

If this is something Benning does, whats your take on it? Its easy to say hire this or that coach (e.g., Gallant) but the best of the UFA coaches may not want to be here, we may have to promote from within again. 

No more internal promotions.

Swing for the fences and pony up the money to bring in someone proven.

Gerard Gallant or even Claude Julien would be my choice.

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The Canucks need a strong, experienced coach who can lead the team, build an identity and a cohesive style, and utilize players in the right roles.

Gallant checks all those boxes for me.

This 10000000%

3 hours ago, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

Gallant did a great job with Vegas and Florida. He did not deserve to be fired from either team. Look at his records, they are very good. I will say this he likes to play veteran players but I still think he is by far the best coach available and a lot better than Green. 

Unfortunately when you are doing a good job and you get fired twice it leaves a stigma around you   

1 minute ago, erkayloomeh said:

Unfortunately when you are doing a good job and you get fired twice it leaves a stigma around you   

Not if you look at the circumstances though.

Florida was in the middle of the Tom Rowe takeover. Think Keenan years in Vancouver.

Vegas was underperforming and needed a scapegoat. Plus their GM bought into the hype about DeBoer.

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't recall Gallant as a player, but checking his stats he carved out a pretty decent career: https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/g/gallage01.html

Has a pretty solid winning percentage as a coach. 

I am curious why both FLA and Vegas canned him tho. 

He was a perfect complementary player to the stars in Detroit. Tough, played hard, worked hard at both ends, and could add some offense too. 

• Vintage 1

Green will be back next season, you didn't have enough options in your poll.

I believe Green will be back next season and will sign a new contract, but all coaches have a best before date. I believe that Cull is being groomed as the next head coach in Vancouver when Green does leave.