The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I think last season's performance earned him one more year as the team has been improving consistently since 2017 up until this season.

True that maneuvering last offseason was difficult with flat cap and COVID. But at the end of the day, he failed to improve the team while other tams still found a way to improve (i.e., Montreal, Minnesota, Ottawa, Vegas, Edmonton, etc).

All of his decisions sort of didn't go his way. Not finding a way to dump Roussel's salary to sign at least Tanev was the most disappointing for me. I bet Tanev would have helped to lower the GAA significantly. Hamonic was a good signing but I see Hamonic as an upgrade over Stecher rather than replacing what Tanev was doing. Schmidt is a good addition but he's just such a different player from Tanev and does not replace Tanev.

If he found a way to ice the below D-core, we'd be in the playoffs.

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Schmidt-Hamonic

Choosing to go with Virtanen over Toffoli also turned out to be another massive failure. Not only did we give 25 goal scorer to our division rival who beat us comprehensively, Virtanen, well, screwed up big time.  

Even with Petey's injury, with Toffoli in the lineup, our top 6 looks good.

Hoglander-Miller-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Of course, our failure this season also goes back to injuries to key bottom 6 players like Beagle, Motte, and Sutter.

Finally, although I was happy with signing of Holtby, it didn't work out and just ended up eating valuable cap space.

I think JB gets one more crack to help bring the team back on track. If we miss the playoffs next season, I'd expect him to be fired.

Edited by khay
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, combover said:

Defiantly at making excuses 100%

Why be defiant?

19 minutes ago, 50 Years and Counting said:

You haven't won anything until you've won the Cup.

Then I'll just disregard this post, till you win a cup.

15 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

As a paying customer do we not have the right to be frustrated ?

Just what did you pay this year? or last for that matter?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

What did you present? All you said was that my point was "myopic", which doesn't really mean anything.

I'll refresh your memory:

image.png.f63f8ff9066b46bfbab8ba7ac97e22f0.png

Was this a losing / bottom feeder season? Yes.

What have the majority of seasons been like under Benning? losing / bottom feeder seasons.

Therefore, last season was an outlier. Look up the definition if you're confused.

Read the damn thread? You literally have literally spun everything presented as negative and post the standings and ignore any positive. Congratulations. 

Re-tool with Sedins Made playoffs first year, then team regressed. Sedins retired rebuild with almost no assets to build from began 2nd  year post Sedins playoffs followed by regression with a ridiculously compressed schedule. 

Colorado had a similar trajectory from the start of their build as well with over and underachieving seasons. Fans like you are literal proof places like Vancouver can’t stomach a rebuild. 

• Cheers 4

20 minutes ago, iwtl said:

This notion that in order to be a true fan you must 100% support all players , coaches , staff and if not your not a fan .... is complete nonsense 

all but the absolute blind can deny that there is a serious problem with this team.

I don’t know if it’s a locker room issue ( player problem/s) , the coach , the gm or a combination but it’s clear something is broken.

As a real fan I simply want them to root out what that problem is and fix it.  I don’t want change for the sake of change, I want the owners to pick what they see is the cause and take action to fix that

My only concern would be if they do nothing. Doing nothing would set us back years.

Sure, but there's a way to go about it and how the media / a large chunk of this fan base is acting is f'n disgusting! My 3 young kids don't even act like that. Second, there has to be actual things to criticize (not saying there isn't), but these people are usually severely overreacting or creating issues where they don't exist, plus completely ignoring all the positives. I've seen damn near everything this team does be criticized / judged by these people, whether it should be or not. Perpetual negativity / hate! 

Edited by IRR
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

What did you present? All you said was that my point was "myopic", which doesn't really mean anything.

I'll refresh your memory:

image.png.f63f8ff9066b46bfbab8ba7ac97e22f0.png

Was this a losing / bottom feeder season? Yes.

What have the majority of seasons been like under Benning? losing / bottom feeder seasons.

Therefore, last season was an outlier. Look up the definition if you're confused.

You are missing the upward trajectory.

2016-17: .421

2017-18: .445

2018-19: .494

2019-20: .565

If anything, this season is an outlier from that upward trend.

2017 is the year when the Sedins retired. The fact that the team has been retooling from 2014-2017 has been stated publicly, I think, by then president Linden. The logic also along the lines of giving the Sedins a chance to win.

Since the Sedins retired, the rebuild officially began and we have improved consistently. JB nailed the first pick of the rebuild by drafting Elias -- the year in which we should have drafted top 3 and get either Makar or Heiskanen, he somehow found a best forward in that draft year. Do you know who else we drafted in 2017? Rathbone, who looks like he will be a top 4 player for years to come. As well as Lind, Gadjovich, and DiPietro. I'm thinking Lind makes the NHL at some point and DiPietro too. Haven't seen enough of Gadjovich to say for sure.

Maybe we haven't improved as fast as you'd would have liked and maybe that's what's upsetting you. I understand, I wish it was faster too. But how? Given that we didn't win a lottery to get a McDavid or Matthews? We aren't even lucky enough to draft in the top 4 to get a player like Draisaitl, Marner, or Dubois.

Sure, we could've sold more assets like Edler and Tanev at the TDL to get a 1st. But then, we would be losing every game 5-0? Crush young players' confidence to the point where it's unrecoverable?

• Cheers 2

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Read the damn thread? You literally have literally spun everything presented as negative and post the standings and ignore any positive. Congratulations. 

Re-tool with Sedins Made playoffs first year, then team regressed. Sedins retired rebuild with almost no assets to build from began 2nd  year post Sedins playoffs followed by regression with a ridiculously compressed schedule. 

Colorado had a similar trajectory from the start of their build as well with over and underachieving seasons. Fans like you are literal proof places like Vancouver can’t stomach a rebuild. 

None of this has anything to do with what we were discussing.

Looks like you've taken a page from @oldnews book where you just ramble on about nothing in particular that isn't even on-topic in hopes of muddying the waters.

We were discussing the validity of this season vs last season.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Fans like you are literal proof places like Vancouver can’t stomach a rebuild. 

Except a lot of "fans like me" were advocates of the scorched earth to begin with, which would mean a long-term view.

It's funny how I'm told that I'm not patient yet I'm the one who wasn't in favour the all the shortcuts Benning has taken.

Go figure.

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 4

4 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

I pay for my sportsnet package. What’s it to yah 

That includes more than the Canucks, doesn't it? 

P.S I only mentioned it because you were moaning about money, so that's what it is to me.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Looks like you've taken a page from @oldnews book where you just ramble on about nothing in particular that isn't even on-topic in hopes of muddying the waters.

Except a lot of "fans like me" were advocates of the scorched earth to begin with, which would mean a long-term view.

It's funny how I'm told that I'm not patient yet I'm the one who wasn't in favour the all the shortcuts Benning has taken.

Go figure.

*ehem 

You're late for the circle jerk :angry:

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Go figure.

Moves goal posts. Go figure. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In their 51 year history the Canucks have only gone past the 2nd Round of the playoffs 3 times! and never Won the big prize. 

Is Benning going to change that? I don't think so. 

Franchesco is like the owner of a cruise ship, but he wants to drive the damned thing too! Iceberg ahead!!! 

Fran or Franc or whatever they call you at the country club - hire a guy who knows how to drive the boat.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

That includes more than the Canucks, doesn't it? 

P.S I only mentioned it because you were moaning about money, so that's what it is to me.

I purchase the package solely for Canucks hockey. You don’t have to be a seasons ticket holder to “moan” about the team. 

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

In their 51 year history the Canucks have only gone past the 2nd Round of the playoffs 3 times! and never Won the big prize. 

Is Benning going to change that? I don't think so. 

Franchesco is like the owner of a cruise ship, but he wants to drive the damned thing too! Iceberg ahead!!! 

Fran or Franc or whatever they call you at the country club - hire a guy who knows how to drive the boat.

It doesn't matter how much you win. It matters how close you get to winning. 

1 minute ago, Wayne Glensky said:

I purchase the package solely for Canucks hockey. You don’t have to be a seasons ticket holder to “moan” about the team. 

I've been on this forum since 2006 (sad, I know). The only constant is people complaining about the team, and people complaining about the people complaining about the team. I know because used to BEE ONE

Robin Williams Movie GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Go figure.

I wanted to trade the Sedins and go full rebuild but that didn't happen.  I would think FA didn't give JB the go ahead to do that.  

If we did, the rebuild probably would have been faster (possibly even getting McDavid...lol) and we would be contending now with a young core and a bountiful of prospects.

So why are you blaming JB for going along with the owners wishes?  Or do you honestly believe FA would have approve trading the Sedins and go full rebuild mode?

13 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Moves goal posts. Go figure. 

LOL

How did I? you were the one who jumped into the conversation I was having with someone else, lost the argument, decided to change the topic and now I'M moving the goalposts? 

:lol:

• RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

I wanted to trade the Sedins and go full rebuild but that didn't happen.  I would think FA didn't give JB the go ahead to do that.  

If we did, the rebuild probably would have been faster (possibly even getting McDavid...lol) and we would be contending now with a young core and a bountiful of prospects.

So why are you blaming JB for going along with the owners wishes?  Or do you honestly believe FA would have approve trading the Sedins and go full rebuild mode?

If you follow a fool, you too are a fool.