The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Now Official - Canucks Lottery pick from 9th position

Rate this topic

grandmaster

39 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Think so? In 2-3 years petey will be 24 or 25. Quinn will be 23 or 24. Might be a good thing to have this top 10 pic player join the team on a entry level rookie contract at the time both petey and quinn start entering their prime.

Yep.   As long as JB keeps drafting or punching above our draft position, this team will continue to ascend.   If he doesn't then well i guess it's time to look forward to whomever takes over and what parts of this core and parts of the next look like. 

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I do wonder if MG could have fixed things, a lot of what he and Nonis did drafting aside from Nonis one great draft that is.    But it is what it is.   JB has proven he's at the very least, an above average drafter compared to his peers based on where he's drafted.   If he was average or below average which isn't very hard to do in this league, he'd be gone already.    Based on ADP or average draft position, the last five years he's drafted like he was given a 9th overall, a 3rd overall, another 3rd overall, a 4th overall and a 14th overall and that's last years draft where we didn't have a first or a second.   That's everyone in the pool.   Another way to look at it is even with JV, OJ and no picks last year we have managed a three years stretch of having a top pool despite drafting around 8-10th overall during that period.   MG drafted for six years and yes we were a top team so it's also to be expected we should be around 24-30th over that time period (on average).   JB under the same circumstances would be 16-24th.   MG was dead last.   SJ is going through the same thing.   Going to fall off a cliff soon. 

Yeah, context is very important when discussing teams successes/failures - hopefully, Aquaman & JB will look into the history of these teams as they go into this offseason.  Imo, a more tempered approach to save cap in the offseason and if the team is competitive then add a player next season or wait till the frenzy is over.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Think so? In 2-3 years petey will be 24 or 25. Quinn will be 23 or 24. Might be a good thing to have this top 10 pic player join the team on a entry level rookie contract at the time both petey and quinn start entering their prime.

Valid point for sure but in 2 years JT, Horvat and Brock plus most likely Petey and Quinn will be needing extensions. The next couple of years we have quite a few elcs and cheaper 2nd contracts, so for me I kind of hope by the time those contracts are up we've already had a couple of series under are belt. 

I think Reinhart is a perfect fit and either this year's first or perhaps next year's lottery-protected would be the obvious centerpiece to any deal.

I think a JT type deal with maybe a 2nd instead of a third plus a Joulevi type prospect to allow a cap dump would be reasonable. 

But if we are picking 1-2 passing on Power, or Ecklund would be a non starter for me.

I just think by 9-11th I don't see anyone that will be better than Sam but in the end I trust Benning to make the right choice.

5 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, context is very important when discussing teams successes/failures - hopefully, Aquaman & JB will look into the history of these teams as they go into this offseason.  Imo, a more tempered approach to save cap in the offseason and if the team is competitive then add a player next season or wait till the frenzy is over.

To me that makes the most sense too.   Know that means we won't be active in the mid-high end UFA market for two years in a row outside of Holtby (who's short term deal and back-up plan in case Demko wasn't ready made enough sense to me anyways), but it is the right course.   Flat cap will hopefully by then settled in to what contracts should look like.   Still will be two maybe three years after that to catch up.  Just want the team to work from a position of strength again, and willing to wait for that.  

Yes to any deal that makes sense mid-long term,  NO to any deal that mortgages the future for the short term.   Time to dig in.   The past is the past and needs to stay there outside of lessons learned.   I hope we never have another GM who can't draft worth sh!t.   Get the contracts MG signed he gave the team the best chance to win and am grateful for that.   We've almost paid for that.  One more season.   Not the time to go all in that's for sure. 

5 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Valid point for sure but in 2 years JT, Horvat and Brock plus most likely Petey and Quinn will be needing extensions. The next couple of years we have quite a few elcs and cheaper 2nd contracts, so for me I kind of hope by the time those contracts are up we've already had a couple of series under are belt. 

I think Reinhart is a perfect fit and either this year's first or perhaps next year's lottery-protected would be the obvious centerpiece to any deal.

I think a JT type deal with maybe a 2nd instead of a third plus a Joulevi type prospect to allow a cap dump would be reasonable. 

But if we are picking 1-2 passing on Power, or Ecklund would be a non starter for me.

I just think by 9-11th I don't see anyone that will be better than Sam but in the end I trust Benning to make the right choice.

How do we fit Rienhardt in?  And isn't he almost a UFA?  This is the sort of thing you do when your ready to go all in which for sure we are not yet.   Cap space.   Who is leaving?   Buyouts outside of JV make little sense.     Sure he'd be a great add - but cap space.   Where is it coming from? 

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

How do we fit Rienhardt in?  And isn't he almost a UFA?  This is the sort of thing you do when your ready to go all in which for sure we are not yet.   Cap space.   Who is leaving?   Buyouts outside of JV make little sense.     Sure he'd be a great add - but cap space.   Where is it coming from? 

Hes actually a RFA this offseason. 

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

To me that makes the most sense too.   Know that means we won't be active in the mid-high end UFA market for two years in a row outside of Holtby (who's short term deal and back-up plan in case Demko wasn't ready made enough sense to me anyways), but it is the right course.   Flat cap will hopefully by then settled in to what contracts should look like.   Still will be two maybe three years after that to catch up.  Just want the team to work from a position of strength again, and willing to wait for that.  

Yes to any deal that makes sense mid-long term,  NO to any deal that mortgages the future for the short term.   Time to dig in.   The past is the past and needs to stay there outside of lessons learned.   I hope we never have another GM who can't draft worth sh!t.   Get the contracts MG signed he gave the team the best chance to win and am grateful for that.   We've almost paid for that.  One more season.   Not the time to go all in that's for sure. 

Ditto; and (imo) you draft the core players and the complementary players are acquired (through trades or FA) - only when the core is ready to compete not before, for mainly mentoring reasons.

Looking at the cap, a good percentage of it is going to non core players and hopefully JB, will spend or trade finite lottery tickets when needed - and not before.  We’ll have to wait and see - aggressive offseason = more of the same, hope not ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Ditto; and (imo) you draft the core players and the complementary players are acquired (through trades or FA) - only when the core is ready to compete not before, for mainly mentoring reasons.

Looking at the cap, a good percentage of it is going to non core players and hopefully JB, will spend or trade finite lottery tickets when needed - and not before.  We’ll have to wait and see - aggressive offseason = more of the same, hope not ?

If more of the same means one more blue chip player for a third and cap space that would be just fine.   Miller, Myers and Schmidt might  of be considered part of the core but they sure play massive roles at the moment for the team and anytime we can swing that without too high a cost it could work. 

3 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Hes actually a RFA this offseason. 

Yes.   But he's also offer sheet eligible and going to 26 next year - so he's signing long term legacy after that.   Not sure where we should be spending assets to commit there just a year later.   Could see it working if it was a trade and re-sign sort of thing i suppose.   Think we need to concentrate on our D...

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

If more of the same means one more blue chip player for a third and cap space that would be just fine.   Miller, Myers and Schmidt might  of be considered part of the core but they sure play massive roles at the moment for the team and anytime we can swing that without too high a cost it could work

I get it and let's hope JB can find more opportunities like the ones you had stated.

• Cheers 1

Most likely going to pick a very decent future top-4 defenceman, and that 41st overall pick will turn into someone special too (JB has picked some fantastic 2nd rounders).

Makes me think we can trade one of our many young defencemen (Chatfield should be the odd-man out) while they've got some untapped potential (eg. for a 3rd line center).

So based on the guys that could be available at 9-10 I gotta say I'm not absolutely married to the Canucks drafting a guy in that spot.  If there's a guy they are sold on however I will defer to the experts, but perhaps targeting a young impact player already in the league with that pick might be a smart move.