The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Now Official - Canucks Lottery pick from 9th position

Rate this topic

grandmaster

31 minutes ago, BENN said:

Still when a team drafts a goalie high in draft I remeber Rick Dipietro, too much risk.

If all goes well and he becomes as elite as Price, his team needs both Crosby and Malkin to win it and you can win the cup with great goalies late in the drafts.

Demko is fine and enough.

Agreed...  

Just to add to that, most goalies take 4-5 years to break into the NHL.  That's a much much longer development curve as opposed to skaters and projecting that far out can be very tricky. 

On 5/22/2021 at 1:02 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

Brackett was not head of amateur scouting for the Virtanen or McCann picks. He was promoted i think just after the Boeser draft. So Juolevi, Petey, Hughes, Podkolzin were 1st rounders during his tenure as head of amateur scouting.

It was widely reported at the time that Benning insisted on Juolevi though. So Virtanen, McCann, Boeser and Juolevi were Bennings picks. Petey, Hughes, Podkolzin were on Brackett's watch.

Look at the other drafting in those rounds though. Hard for anyone to suggest Brackett wasnt a significant part of the drafting success.

And the Canucks drafted Boeser, Demko, Lockwood, Gaudette, and Madden ftom his scouting area, the USHL/East.

So if that is the case and Virtanen, McCann, Boeser and Juolevi were uncle Jims only relevant picks that would paint an even worse situation for him, as drafting is about All that his supporters can claim he's good at and getting one pick right out of four is nothing to boast about, especially given his abysmal trades, numerous overpayed/overextended player contacts, allowing expiring players to leave for nothing rather than trade them beforehand for something and poor management. All this backs up what the 70% of Canucks fans and media are saying that we need to get him out of here (per poll on CHEK last week and most CDC commentators) to avoid an eighth and ninth year of continued bottom feeder results and suffering by our fans!

Which leaves everyone puzzled why Aqua-Lini would allow him to stick around and makes you wonder if the rumors are true it's all about $ and FA not having to pay him out for his last 2 years on contract?  There could be no other logical explanation for his return.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1

To be fair to JB he inherited an abysmal team,

he didn`t help himself though with his signings.

why he traded McCann for Gudbranson?

Why he signed Eriksson to worst contract ever?to pair him with aging sedins? he should know better than that.

signing Ryan Miller was understandable.

Beagle and Rousel contracts? he should have known better, specially the terms.

with Juolevi`s injuries, no one could predict that and he will be okay.

Letting players go for nothing? he should have known better.

the problem is Benning lovers talk about him like he is a draft genius and his haters talk him down too much as he is the worst GM ever.

as always the truth is in the middle. No he is not a genius and he is not the worse GM ever.

Canucks can have better GM? sure, but the franchise strategy should be a "draft and develop" hockey franchise with a certain identity which to me is beautiful attacking sexy hockey(I call it Swedish hockey).add grit via FA and minimal trades and ALWAYS HAVING A PLAN and sticking to it.

Canucks should not be a franchise chasing its tails.

Benning has not helped himself.

if he signs big contracts for some mediocre UFA this summer and signs Beagles and Rousells or even Larssons?

The team will not succeed and he will be fired.

hope he knows what he`s doing. he has been GM for 7 years and his little mistakes has piled up on him.

GMs have been fired for less.

Hope he drafts a stud D,This is his summer.

and if he gets sacked? I hope owners don`t turn nucks into sabres with meaningless hirings.

Sorry for the rant.

Why we can`t have someone like Yzerman as GM :frantic:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BENN said:

hope he knows what he`s doing. he has been GM for 7 years and his little mistakes has piled up on him.

GMs have been fired for less.

Hope he drafts a stud D,This is his summer.

and if he gets sacked? I hope owners don`t turn nucks into sabres with meaningless hirings.

Sorry for the rant.

Why we can`t have someone like Yzerman as GM :frantic:

Benning is and should be in his last chance I think. So one more mistake and I wouldn't be surprised if he is let go.

Yzermam would be great but I think there are other GMs that also has some good qualifications. Dean Lombardi, or even Ray Shero 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

Benning is and should be in his last chance I think. So one more mistake and I wouldn't be surprised if he is let go.

I don’t disagree.  If the team takes a step back this coming season Benning and Green are done.  But I expect the team to move forward and make the playoffs next season.  And then even be better the season after that.  So we will have Benning for the extended run of success with this core.  I say Benning is here for another 5 to 7 years for sure.  

• Like 1

I have feeling ownership gave benning the green light to do what ever is needed to get luke Hughes to bring back a brotherly connection like the sedins that was great for marketing and put fans in the seats 

Edited by Filthy McNasty
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Yzermam would be great but I think there are other GMs that also has some good qualifications. Dean Lombardi, or even Ray Shero 

Yzerman is something else though.

5 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

I have feeling ownership gave benning the green light to do what ever is needed to get luke Hughes to bring back a brotherly connection like the sedins that was great for marketing and put fans in the seats 

I suspect they will trade the pick if the players they like are taken before the pick. Only way they might not trade the pick is if they win lottery or the player they like who might be NHL ready soon is available to them. If None of that applies, they would probably trade at draft table for a top 4D, Think Devon Toews or Cernak.

4 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I would pick Yzerman but do you think Aquaman will? Will Yzerman be a yes man? I mean it really depends on what Aquaman wants.

No one tells Yzerman what to do.  One of best hockey minds ever.   But hes not leaving Det anytime soon.  

I think Jim needs to replace Weisbroad.  

6 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

No one tells Yzerman what to do.  One of best hockey minds ever.   But hes not leaving Det anytime soon.  

I think Jim needs to replace Weisbroad.  

Is Weisbrod in charge of Pro Scouting cause the other AGM - Chris Gear is the head legal counsel or team capologist ?

What the heck!!  The top 3 or 4 threads are all people complaining about JB or else complaining about people complaining about JB!  So here's me innocently clicking on this thread hoping to find some discussion about our pick.  Nope!!!  More JB wars!  All JB all the time!  I love you guys but y'all are the worst sometimes haha!

As for MY two cents.  I like the sounds of Simon Edvinsson!  I think that's the type of D we need to add to the mix.  I also don't hate the idea of trading down in this draft for more picks.  I think this will be a weird one with more steals than usual.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

On 5/22/2021 at 1:02 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

Brackett was not head of amateur scouting for the Virtanen or McCann picks. He was promoted i think just after the Boeser draft. So Juolevi, Petey, Hughes, Podkolzin were 1st rounders during his tenure as head of amateur scouting.

It was widely reported at the time that Benning insisted on Juolevi though. So Virtanen, McCann, Boeser and Juolevi were Bennings picks. Petey, Hughes, Podkolzin were on Brackett's watch.

Look at the other drafting in those rounds though. Hard for anyone to suggest Brackett wasnt a significant part of the drafting success.

And the Canucks drafted Boeser, Demko, Lockwood, Gaudette, and Madden ftom his scouting area, the USHL/East.

Screenshot_20210524-001055_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210524-001102_Chrome.jpg

Who was the director of scouting before Brackett? 

Was it still Delorme? 

Depends on who is left on the board at the time, but if we stay where we are, should be a year to trade down and gain an asset or two. 

Even though Horvat projected as a 3C, he's become much more of a 2C.  Need to find a shutdown 3C that can put up a decent amount of points.  Also need more d-men.  

Either that or it might have to be Petterson-Miller-Horvat-Beagle down the middle

On 5/24/2021 at 6:45 AM, iinatcc said:

would not come here, he will never work for aqua. Steve Y will never leave the wings either.