The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Availability with GM JB and Head Coach Green (& Follow Up With JB on 650)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Really? You're 100% sure of that fact?

Bring back Scotty Bowman, and with that schedule, you likely get a very similar result.

This is a solid core, they need a little retuning in the off season, but the building blocks are all there for the future.

We have a starting goalie who is showing that he's got the ability to be elite.

We have a defense that has 2 of the best young skaters in the game, but yet, our defense needs a little fine tuning and needs something extra.

We have a solid core up front with Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hoglander, Miller, etc.

We're about to add Podkolzin, who should be NHL ready based on his performance in the KHL.

Our bottom 6 needs a retuning, but we have guys like Lockwood, Highmore, Lind, Gadjovich etc, all ready to start taking minutes.

So, based on what I outlined, their schedule etc, as well as their record in 2019/2020, how can you be sure that they wouldn't have had the same results? The math leans towards our existing coaching and team.

All teams had a hard year due to schedule, Canucks had the worst schedule in the NHL to start and to finish, and all the media recognize that.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

The ONLY questions I want to hear are

• Without a wholesale coaching change, how will you correct a year by year failure on the blue line and special teams?
  • As special teams have been a point of concern since the twins left how will that change?
  • Have you considered doing anything different regarding defensive coaching watching the same defensive lapses for a few seasons?
  • Was there a reason to not play younger players in the taxi squad over established vets who were not performing
  • Follow up:  When these players played, why were they benched over minor mistakes while underperforming vets were given free reign
  • What is being done if anything to retain goaltending coach Ian Clarke
  • If there was a short list of candidates for management or coaching positions who would they be and why Gallant and the Hunters in London?
  • What is the area of interest in the prospect pool moving towards the draft and will it influence your decision
  •  

Someone ask him these and hold him to the fire.  If Benning is back fine.  If Green is back fine.  But WHAT has or will change when the only important coach might be leaving and we've seen zero change to the bad on ice habits this team has exhibited for the last few seasons.  Why is Weisbrod employed and what does he actually do?  With the questionable trades made and cap issues as well as the losses of vital support staff and programs without replacement how will this affect the on ice product.

I think having Benning and Green back is absolutely fine with me, I do however think we need to see a different approach and replace Baumgartner and Brown on the bench. I feel Green gets flack rightly so on these areas but defense and special teams needs a different approach in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Bring back Scotty Bowman, and with that schedule, you likely get a very similar result.

This is a solid core, they need a little retuning in the off season, but the building blocks are all there for the future.

We have a starting goalie who is showing that he's got the ability to be elite.

We have a defense that has 2 of the best young skaters in the game, but yet, our defense needs a little fine tuning and needs something extra.

We have a solid core up front with Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hoglander, Miller, etc.

We're about to add Podkolzin, who should be NHL ready based on his performance in the KHL.

Our bottom 6 needs a retuning, but we have guys like Lockwood, Highmore, Lind, Gadjovich etc, all ready to start taking minutes.

So, based on what I outlined, their schedule etc, as well as their record in 2019/2020, how can you be sure that they wouldn't have had the same results? The math leans towards our existing coaching and team.

All teams had a hard year due to schedule, Canucks had the worst schedule in the NHL to start and to finish, and all the media recognize that.

That doesn't provide empirical evidence that no other coach presently coaching in the NHL could have done better with the team than Travis Green could have. Jon Cooper? Barry Trotz? 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

The ONLY questions I want to hear are

• Without a wholesale coaching change, how will you correct a year by year failure on the blue line and special teams?
  • As special teams have been a point of concern since the twins left how will that change?
  • Have you considered doing anything different regarding defensive coaching watching the same defensive lapses for a few seasons?
  • Was there a reason to not play younger players in the taxi squad over established vets who were not performing
  • Follow up:  When these players played, why were they benched over minor mistakes while underperforming vets were given free reign
  • What is being done if anything to retain goaltending coach Ian Clarke
  • If there was a short list of candidates for management or coaching positions who would they be and why Gallant and the Hunters in London?
  • What is the area of interest in the prospect pool moving towards the draft and will it influence your decision
  •  

Someone ask him these and hold him to the fire.  If Benning is back fine.  If Green is back fine.  But WHAT has or will change when the only important coach might be leaving and we've seen zero change to the bad on ice habits this team has exhibited for the last few seasons.  Why is Weisbrod employed and what does he actually do?  With the questionable trades made and cap issues as well as the losses of vital support staff and programs without replacement how will this affect the on ice product.

Well I agree with almost everything you bring up in this post the parts I simply can't agree with are the parts pertaining to the PP. As I posted in the Travis Green Renewal thread, the numbers simply don't support the narrative that the PP has struggled since Brown was brought on as coach. Yes, the PP struggled this season but that is because the entire team struggled this season in every aspect due to the fact the team just played the most condensed schedule in the history of the NHL, playing 56 games in 103 days.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That doesn't provide empirical evidence that no other coach presently coaching in the NHL could have done better with the team than Travis Green could have. Jon Cooper? Barry Trotz? 

Everything here is speculation, its what we do here!

Exhaustion though, is not something that you can "coach out" of players, and what I itemized earlier in this thread equals total exhaustion.

If you want to just be negative and look for the worst, then that's what you're going to do, and no one is going to change your mind.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Everything here is speculation, its what we do here!

Exhaustion though, is not something that you can "coach out" of players, and what I itemized earlier in this thread equals total exhaustion.

If you want to just be negative and look for the worst, then that's what you're going to do, and no one is going to change your mind.

Negative? Where did you get that from? Why so ultra defensive? I have a feeling that if asked even Green would throw Trotz or Cooper some recognition as great coaches, and say that they would have risen to the challenge as well. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Negative? Where did you get that from? Why so ultra defensive? I have a feeling that if asked even Green would throw Trotz or Cooper some recognition as great coaches, and say that they would have risen to the challenge as well. 

So you'd expect Green to admit he just isn't good enough and is an inferior coach?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Don’t let the door hit you in the a** on your way out.

I guess it will be a wake up call for you when you start hearing about Vancouver fans going to watch their games.

Do you say this same stuff to the Seahawks fans in Vancouver? Because they don't follow the B.C. Lions I doubt it, maybe you should watch for the door instead. 

14 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Please just leave. Everyone is tired of your bellyaching and repetitive, petulant reposting the same unoriginal takes over and over ad nauseam

Do you need a tissue? 

Yesterday was the first time I've posted that gif, so get off your high horse and relax.

• Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I certainly hope that some of the questions you've posed are asked. 

Never are my dude

There's zero reason they should not be asked or addressed.  The issues with this team are obvious with the on ice product.  Special teams issues lack of creativity and/or ability to manage on ice evolution of play.  Defensive coverage fails consistently on the same ends for the same reasons.  Defenders not being allowed to play to their strengths and completely utterly stifled.  Youth not being played at all.  Like ever.  When played benched minutes in to game depending on flavour of veteran that night.

Seriously WTF does Weisbrod do?  I cannot see or point out a single thing he has done that can be signalled as a success or even noteworthy benefit to the team or organization.  In fact since he has come on board we have seen nothing but loss of key support and removal of support systems and questionable on ice movements.

Much of the issues of the team come down entirely to systems failing the players, management decisions and a lack of seeming communication or willingness to utilize the prospects as they should be.

The media MIGHT ask some questions but by and large they won't and will instead ask ridiculous nothing questions and when they do ask important questions we'll get lip service because nobody on the media teams have the balls to put the management to the fire and management will not answer.....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

So you'd expect Green to admit he just isn't good enough and is an inferior coach?

Where do you come up with this? Why so hilariously reactive? It's amusing and kinda sad, but still amusing how hair trigger and off target your response is. 

Actually I would expect Green to know a good coach when he sees one, like Stanley Cup winners Trotz and Cooper. 

• RoughGame 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

Never are my dude

There's zero reason they should not be asked or addressed.  The issues with this team are obvious with the on ice product.  Special teams issues lack of creativity and/or ability to manage on ice evolution of play.  Defensive coverage fails consistently on the same ends for the same reasons.  Defenders not being allowed to play to their strengths and completely utterly stifled.  Youth not being played at all.  Like ever.  When played benched minutes in to game depending on flavour of veteran that night.

Seriously WTF does Weisbrod do?  I cannot see or point out a single thing he has done that can be signalled as a success or even noteworthy benefit to the team or organization.  In fact since he has come on board we have seen nothing but loss of key support and removal of support systems and questionable on ice movements.

Much of the issues of the team come down entirely to systems failing the players, management decisions and a lack of seeming communication or willingness to utilize the prospects as they should be.

The media MIGHT ask some questions but by and large they won't and will instead ask ridiculous nothing questions and when they do ask important questions we'll get lip service because nobody on the media teams have the balls to put the management to the fire and management will not answer.....

Great post, Warhippy. The media would get a lot more respect here if they asked those types of questions instead of the banal, trite ones they end up asking. 

There are glaring issues with this team and how inconsistent they are. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Well I agree with almost everything you bring up in this post the parts I simply can't agree with are the parts pertaining to the PP. As I posted in the Travis Green Renewal thread, the numbers simply don't support the narrative that the PP has struggled since Brown was brought on as coach. Yes, the PP struggled this season but that is because the entire team struggled this season in every aspect due to the fact the team just played the most condensed schedule in the history of the NHL, playing 56 games in 103 days.

I dunno mate, our conversion rates are kind of awful and we're hovering around mediocrity on the special teams or worse

Now maybe stat specific numbers won't support that suggestion but the on ice play, goals scored, when they're scored vs when the defensive lapses happen is evident 

Sucks but it all starts at home 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Where do you come up with this? Why so hilariously reactive? It's amusing and kinda sad, but still amusing how hair trigger and off target your response is. 

Actually I would expect Green to know a good coach when he sees one, like Stanley Cup winners Trotz and Cooper. 

I'm not being reactive, just seeking clarity after following the convo between you and Vegas. He states that no other coach could of done a better job with this team under the condensed schedule the team had, you asked for evidence and then appeared to imply that Green would have said someone like Trotz or Cooper would have done better than he did thus implying that Green would be admitting that he is an inferior coach. Or did I miss something?

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I'm not being reactive, just seeking clarity after following the convo between you and Vegas. He states that no other coach could of done a better job with this team under the condensed schedule the team had, you asked for evidence and then appeared to imply that Green would have said someone like Trotz or Cooper would have done better than he did thus implying that Green would be admitting that he is an inferior coach. Or did I miss something?

Actually it wasn't even Vegas who stated that, it was Darth Canuck.

That being said, to say that no other coach in the league could have done better is a ridiculous statement. There are plenty of talented coaches in the NHL who are capable of dealing with multiple challenges to their team, which is proven every single season. Green is one of 31 of them. Clearly to make it to the NHL is indicative of being good enough. 

I think Green would probably bristle at the statement himself. He's aware and knows the lay of the land in the league and how many solid coaches work in the league. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I dunno mate, our conversion rates are kind of awful and we're hovering around mediocrity on the special teams or worse

Now maybe stat specific numbers won't support that suggestion but the on ice play, goals scored, when they're scored vs when the defensive lapses happen is evident 

Sucks but it all starts at home 

I know what you mean, our PP looks awful when you watch it in game, often too static and rarely seems to have that sense of urgency you want to see in it. I was extremely surprised when I ran the leagues PP numbers since Brown was brought in as our coach and found our PP% was 20.25 which was 14th in the league and that we had scored the 8th most PPG's in the league over that same time.

Our defensive lapses and not playing the youth are entirely different subjects that agree 100% with you on.