The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Availability with GM JB and Head Coach Green (& Follow Up With JB on 650)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

48 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

If people were never to question or think outside the box on any issue in life, we are nothing more than sheeple (or Republicans) :)

Dialog and different opinions are good  if respectful

No need to name call on different viewpoints

That's the other part of it.

Many (most?) of the people "sharing their opinions" on Benning tend to call those who maybe don't agree with all of it "Benning Bros", "Benning Lovers", etc.  So it's about having an opinion without having to use insults or extremes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I don’t get why they are having a hard time bringing back Ian Clark? Does this not say something when again we have a big problem retaining people in the organization that are currently part of the organization. If he walks it just looks so bad. I just don’t get how nothing changes and letting people walk are smart moves. Makes no sense.

6 hours ago, Zhukini said:

He's gonna get cooked alive. 

no it will be socially distanced Media availability

there will only be enough room for Murph  and Joey Kenward

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I don’t get why they are having a hard time bringing back Ian Clark? Does this not say something when again we have a big problem retaining people in the organization that are currently part of the organization. If he walks it just looks so bad. I just don’t get how nothing changes and letting people walk are smart moves. Makes no sense.

Ian Clark lives in Florida in the offseason. We've seen the effects of living afar from your family does to Luongo. Put the pieces together and you'll figure it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The whole point of this forum is to discuss the team. It is kind of weak to say that people who complain should leave. Maybe the people who dont like the direction of the team or the management/coaching of it have just as much right to voice that here.

Maybe they find people who endlessly cheerlead for Benning, Green, etc equally annoying in their praise.

Complaining for the sake of it is not productive. But neither is being a constant apologist that doesnt recognize there are significant issues with the team.

And whether you are one spectrum or the other, everyone should have the same right to voice their opinion. 

Sorry, off the soapbox now. It just irritates me to hear the constant "if you dont like it then &^@# off you arent welcome here" argument.

I appreciate posters like you and Dumb Nuck. I enjoy hearing your perspective and the banter it creates.

Combover, Squam, Wayne and the other troll accounts that add nothing to a conversation except a Benning sucks followed by a stupid picture. Or worse yet fabricating stories that are unfounded and often bordering on slanderous is tiresome. Those posters should be banned.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Ian Clark lives in Florida in the offseason. We've seen the effects of living afar from your family does to Luongo. Put the pieces together and you'll figure it out.

Still, when your team relies this heavily on goaltending in order to have a chance in games, keeping arguably the best goalie coach in the nhl should be a priority. 

If Clark is let go or decides himself to walk, either way its a management fail. Pay the man Jim. You only still have your job because of him if we are being truthful.

• Haha 1

I think it's fair to be subjective to a situation and not blindlessly hate or support a person/decision. It's okay to acknowledge Benning's weaknesses as a supporter and vice versa acknowledging Benning's strengths as a non-supporter.

I liked the work Benning was doing but have changed my mind about retaining him longer for our GM position in the past year or so. I used to support to keep him because his ability to set up a strong scouting department and support that department was very good. While other aspects needed work, he seemed to be improving in certain areas such as trades and doing well with RFA signings.

However, imo his FA signings have continued to be poor, trades have been hit or miss, the ability to maneuver the cap while being creative hasn't been there, choosing options where the opportunity cost seems to be more of a loss, poor communication from management to players, and the lack of adaptability in philosophy.

Insider's like Friedman aren't negative media. When they report things aren't going well, they aren't. As he mentioned, we used to be the most progressive team in the NHL a decade ago and now we've fallen off.

By natural progression, we should still be a good and improving team moving forward. However, I believe that if we want to take that next step into greatness, we need a GM who has the capabilities to do the type of maneuvering Gillis and Gilman did for this team a little over a decade ago.

Like Horvat, I'm tired of losing. But, Canucks fan till I die.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, ken kaniff said:

That’s not a very good analogy. People love the Canucks and they have the right to be upset with poor management after 7 years of failure. You can’t just tell them to go away because you disagree with them. They have the right to voice their displeasure just as much as you have the right to show support. But I understand your point.

.......Especially Season Ticket Ticket holders that put out CaChing $ and see this team going no where fast, with what looks like at least another two years of the same coming!

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, combover said:

“Alleged fans” 

because some of us aren’t happy with the current state with group who’s got us here . We no longer qualify as fans.

Funny because it’s usually the ones “defending” that resort to the names and challenging loyalty first    
if I wasn’t a fan I wouldn’t give a shyte and I’d be out in my boat not worried about what damage this guys going to do to the team I’ve followed and supported for decades. 

Might want to consider what will happen when enough people just stop caring. 

but maybe that’s the key just stop caring my wife would be pleased. 

a little humility goes a long way. you don't know better than the professionalis. period. 

• Vintage 1

I'm okay with Green and Benning coming back but the way all this was handled was terrible and is probably going to cost us Clark.  If it was indecision at the ownership level, they have hurt their own product and bottom line by creating a dysfunctional aura around the team. 

What actually happened?  Did they hire Courtnall to do a 10 day assessment of the organization that resulted in a recommendation to retain Benning and Green?  This is nearly as messy and untransparent as the Linden departure and related purges in the front office.  How is that even possible when they didn't fire anyone?  It takes a rare talent to screw up a vote of confidence this badly.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I appreciate posters like you and Dumb Nuck. I enjoy hearing your perspective and the banter it creates.

Combover, Squam, Wayne and the other troll accounts that add nothing to a conversation except a Benning sucks followed by a stupid picture. Or worse yet fabricating stories that are unfounded and often bordering on slanderous is tiresome. Those posters should be banned.

You can’t ban someone just because you don’t agree with them. Use the ignore button if you don’t like me pal. 

• Haha 1