The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Availability with GM JB and Head Coach Green (& Follow Up With JB on 650)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

After a season like the one this team had and the way that the organization as a whole has been run, it is very fair to be upset and worried about the direction of the team going forward. The truth is they really screwed up in an area that should have been one of the easiest to navigate which was communication. Now this organization has a reputation of being terrible at communicating. It maybe a big reason we lose key peices. Sometimes people have a hard time hearing that this organization is in a bit of a home. What makes them think Benning can climb them out of it? 7 years and stories after stories have came out. Integrity would be at the top of my list if I was running a business and at times there was none.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Still, when your team relies this heavily on goaltending in order to have a chance in games, keeping arguably the best goalie coach in the nhl should be a priority. 

If Clark is let go or decides himself to walk, either way its a management fail. Pay the man Jim. You only still have your job because of him if we are being truthful.

I don't think you can fault management if he does walk for family reasons. You can throw all the money you want at him. But family is more important. If he does go to Florida to be with his family no money in the world will stop him. How do you call that managements fault? You shake the guys hand, say thanks for all the hard work, and wish him all the best. Nothing more you can do in that situation. 

If it comes down to a "timing" thing again and Ian decides to walk...then I will be super pissed because yes, management let him walk, and you are right they should be rolling out the red carpet for him!

Edit: i'll add in my own experience, in my profession, I just turned down a large offer from a competing company, but it was for working away from my family. Which is what i've done for over 18 years. I decided to turn it down and take a job close to home, first time in 18 years. It pays less, but I am so happy to be home every night finally. I unfortunately had to go through a divorce to realize this... Ian has bounced all over, if he is home bound I don't blame him at all. Or management.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

After a season like the one this team had and the way that the organization as a whole has been run, it is very fair to be upset and worried about the direction of the team going forward. The truth is they really screwed up in an area that should have been one of the easiest to navigate which was communication. Now this organization has a reputation of being terrible at communicating. It maybe a big reason we lose key peices.

I wish it was just communication.  But maybe they didn't communicate because they couldn't decide what to do.  That's how it looks to me. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I wish it was just communication.  But maybe they didn't communicate because they couldn't decide what to do.  That's how it looks to me. 

Part of being a gm is making decisions. It’s pretty sad if this was the case considering he got a vote of confidence going forward.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

5 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Part of being a gm is making decisions. It’s pretty sad if this was the case considering he got a vote of confidence going forward.

It could be that, or maybe the indecision was at the ownership level and about whether to continue with the current GM and coach.  I'm leaning towards that, but we don't have a lot to go on.

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

It could be that, or maybe the indecision was at the ownership level and about whether to continue with the current GM and coach.  I'm leaning towards that, but we don't have a lot to go on.

Communicating to fans about the direction of the team is also important which they have been terrible at as well.

13 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's the thing for me.

If you have a favourite restaurant but they get a new manager and, over time, things go downhill in your opinion....overpriced, quality is diminishing, changing the dishes to new ones.  You no longer like it.  

Do you keep going back and yelling and screaming?  Or...do you look for another option?   Because, over time, it just ruins the experience for others if you don't.  Not everyone may agree with you and your tastes.

Or ....now hear me out ...

Do you love the staff that work there and because of them keep going back and push the owners of said restaurant to fix the few pieces that are not working to make it better for you and those staff?

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

that seems very likely to me. Up until a couple of weeks ago, Aqua didn't even know if he could plan for ticket sales. He was in the process of talking to guys like Courtnall and the Sedins about what the heck is happening on the ice. 

So in that light, not sure what kind of communication he was going to give out. 

The ONLY questions I want to hear are

• Without a wholesale coaching change, how will you correct a year by year failure on the blue line and special teams?
  • As special teams have been a point of concern since the twins left how will that change?
  • Have you considered doing anything different regarding defensive coaching watching the same defensive lapses for a few seasons?
  • Was there a reason to not play younger players in the taxi squad over established vets who were not performing
  • Follow up:  When these players played, why were they benched over minor mistakes while underperforming vets were given free reign
  • What is being done if anything to retain goaltending coach Ian Clarke
  • If there was a short list of candidates for management or coaching positions who would they be and why Gallant and the Hunters in London?
  • What is the area of interest in the prospect pool moving towards the draft and will it influence your decision
  •  

Someone ask him these and hold him to the fire.  If Benning is back fine.  If Green is back fine.  But WHAT has or will change when the only important coach might be leaving and we've seen zero change to the bad on ice habits this team has exhibited for the last few seasons.  Why is Weisbrod employed and what does he actually do?  With the questionable trades made and cap issues as well as the losses of vital support staff and programs without replacement how will this affect the on ice product.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Use your words Squam.  And by words, I mean YOUR words, not regurgitated words from others.

Great points, WH.   It's time to quiet the masses with a revised plan that addresses some of these concerns (like the PP).  I imagine all staff are returning but I would not be upset to hear some of the specialty coaches are changing.  Some times fresh perspectives and ideas can really spark things and ours seems dull and overdone.

Imm....if you don't factor IN COVID then that's a little ridiculous.  Not sure why you'd ignore the scheduling, losing Petey OR COVID this year?  Those things mattered.  Were they ALL that was wrong?  Nope.  But it's hard to assess based on this crap year.  I'm pretty sure the biggest driving force in decisions made/not made right now are $$.  JB has another year to go and right now it's all about budget constraints and the status quo is likely part of that.  He's also done some great work at putting exciting young players in our line up...the supporting cast?  Not so great.

These one liners we get are piling on more than really convincing anyone of anything.

• Cheers 1

I know I am probably in the minority but I am fine with Benning and Green being back.  Like many I would like to see Ian Clark resigned - and maybe replacements for Baumgartener and Brown.. I am not sure what role King fufills?

So far it is fairly mellow in here - will check back in after the interviews - just cause I'm old and bored. I am truly interested if these interviews shed any light on what roles the Sedins would play if they are brought onboard.

Hopefully they will have an update on Ferly and Beagle

13 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Please read!

Everyone wants to take this out on Benning and Green, but the fact is, the Canucks started this season with the worst schedule of any team in the NHL.

With no exhibition games to get everyone playing the right way, they played the first 37 games, including multiple back to backs and 3 games in 4 nights. By March 25th, they had played anywhere from 3 - 8 games more than ANY other team in the league. Through that 37 game stretch, they had One break of 3 days and Two breaks of 2 days and all the others were 24 hours or less, often while traveling between cities.

They hit their break totally exhausted, then the whole team got Covid. Contrary to what a lot of fans think, although the team was no longer testing positive when they resumed played, they were not "OVER COVID". If you have severe symptoms, you're talking 4 - 8 weeks or longer to fully recover from it.

So, they come back from what should have been a nice rest, rejuvenated and ready to take advantage of some other exhausted teams. Instead, they are trying to force themselves to compete while they are still recovering. They are expected to play the remaining 19 games in 32 nights, which is totally stupid, even if you're not just recovering from something that can take months to recover from. Through that stretch, they again had a maximum of 24 hours off in between games to rest and or practice.

So, to sum up, The Canucks played a 56 game schedule with the bare minimum practice time, then One 3 day break, Two, 2 day breaks and the rest was, off for 24 hours, except when they were trying to fight through and recover from Covid and not training.

Oh yeah, and we were without our best offensive player for more than half the year and finished with injuries to about 40% of the team.

I am TOTALLY shocked that we did as well as we actually did. While some "fans" are slamming the team, I'm really impressed with their drive to continue and to do as well as they actually did, I'm surprised they weren't in a hard competition with New Jersey and Buffalo for the worst overall record.

This!

No coach in the NHL could have done better. And not Gallant, not Babcock.

Remember, when the Canucks finally did have a day to practice, they came out and crushed the Flames. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The ONLY questions I want to hear are

• Without a wholesale coaching change, how will you correct a year by year failure on the blue line and special teams?
  • As special teams have been a point of concern since the twins left how will that change?
  • Have you considered doing anything different regarding defensive coaching watching the same defensive lapses for a few seasons?
  • Was there a reason to not play younger players in the taxi squad over established vets who were not performing
  • Follow up:  When these players played, why were they benched over minor mistakes while underperforming vets were given free reign
  • What is being done if anything to retain goaltending coach Ian Clarke
  • If there was a short list of candidates for management or coaching positions who would they be and why Gallant and the Hunters in London?
  • What is the area of interest in the prospect pool moving towards the draft and will it influence your decision
  •  

Someone ask him these and hold him to the fire.  If Benning is back fine.  If Green is back fine.  But WHAT has or will change when the only important coach might be leaving and we've seen zero change to the bad on ice habits this team has exhibited for the last few seasons.  Why is Weisbrod employed and what does he actually do?  With the questionable trades made and cap issues as well as the losses of vital support staff and programs without replacement how will this affect the on ice product.

I certainly hope that some of the questions you've posed are asked. 

2 minutes ago, Darth Canuck said:

This!

No coach in the NHL could have done better. And not Gallant, not Babcock.

Remember, when the Canucks finally did have a day to practice, they came out and crushed the Flames. 

Really? You're 100% sure of that fact?

• Vintage 1