The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reflections from the newest developments

Rate this topic

Dazzle

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Tyler Toffoli signed with Montreal October 12 2020

Jake Virtanen signed October 22 2020. 

but do keep saying Virtanen was signed over Toffoli as if it is fact. 

You got to be kidding me? :picard:  

The guy they didn't bother to talk to at all about a contract extension signed before Virtanen and that's what makes you not think Virtanen was signed over Toffoli, this kool-aid you're drinking is bad.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

You got to be kidding me? :picard:  

The guy they didn't bother to talk to at all about a contract extension signed before Virtanen and that's what makes you not think Virtanen was signed over Toffoli, this kool-aid you're drinking is bad.

Defense was the priority not Virtanen. That is what you ignore. :picard: 

Hence the deal that brought in Schmidt. 

• RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

He was "done" before that unfortunately. If as you say, Benning had to talk to Green, which I call bs, even though I'll give you credit for speculating, and Jake was already done, why would he sign a "new" contract with the Canucks this past season?

Weird Green starts him on the 3rd line this year he doesn't do anything and all of a sudden he's now in a top 6 role..... He didn't earn it so why was he put there? 

4 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Defense was a fail from the get go when a guy like Edler is back but a guy like Tanev just walks, that's just ridiculous. 

Nope. Tanev sure helped the Flames get to the playoffs eh? Oh wait and there likely headed for another rebuild. 

• RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Nope. Tanev sure helped the Flames get to the playoffs eh? Oh wait and there likely headed for another rebuild. 

Yeah just like how Edler and his big zero goals this year really helped this team make it to the playoffs again :lol:, hopefully he continues to jump up into the rush and do nothing and be to slow to get back and continue to watch other teams players burn him and leave the goalie left to dry for 2 on 1 more, so exciting can't wait :frantic:

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I’m staying out of the Toffoli debate but clearly once Toff was gone it became at least marginally more important to sign Jake. However that turned out to be a mistake that IMO JB more or less copped to when he said that there were a couple of guys that he expected to take the next step and didn’t, and that was on him. I’m not sure why people find it so important to tie the TT and JV together. If they want to argue they were both mistakes, fine go ahead, but to say that Toff was mishandled because Jim was busy trying to get Jake signed is just plain wrong.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, 4petesake said:

I’m staying out of the Toffoli debate but clearly once Toff was gone it became at least marginally more important to sign Jake. However that turned out to be a mistake that IMO JB more or less copped to when he said that there were a couple of guys that he expected to take the next step and didn’t, and that was on him. I’m not sure why people find it so important to tie the TT and JV together. If they want to argue they were both mistakes, fine go ahead, but to say that Toff was mishandled because Jim was busy trying to get Jake signed is just plain wrong.

How are they going to resign Toffoli in the first place when they don't even bother to have a discussion with him on a contract in the first place.... :picard:

• Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

How are they going to resign Toffoli in the first place when they don't even bother to have a discussion with him on a contract in the first place.... :picard:

I just clearly said that the Toffoli thing was a different argument and made no attempt to defend it. I’ll leave that to others. I just said that  not signing Toff was in no way related to signing Jake . Why is that hard to understand Chuck?

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I just clearly said that the Toffoli thing was a different argument and made no attempt to defend it. I’ll leave that to others. I just said that  not signing Toff was in no way related to signing Jake . Why is that hard to understand Chuck?

What you said and are implying is that the Canucks ran out of time with Toffoli because he was already gone and it was a no brainer to sign Virtanen after. How is that not related, why is that so hard for you to understand? 

They never bothered to contact Toffoli for a new contract at all that means he wasn't in their plans at all, and were banking on resigning Virtanen instead because they thought they saw a glimpse of what he could become in the playoffs.

And the fact there are some posters on here like the one who gives the sad emoji all the time, who continues to drink the kool-aid, who can't stand any criticism of anything of this team and if it doesn't fit his fairy tale narrative, he will go and span emoji everything you write, some people just never change here :picard:

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 1

11 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

What you said and are implying is that the Canucks ran out of time with Toffoli because he was already gone and it was a no brainer to sign Virtanen after. How is that not related, why is that so hard for you to understand? 

They never bothered to contact Toffoli for a new contract at all that means he wasn't in their plans at all, and were banking on resigning Virtanen instead because they thought they saw a glimpse of what he could become in the playoffs.

I said no such thing nor did I imply it. Toffoli was gone, blame whoever for that, I don’t care. The world didn’t stop after that and JB moved on to AG and Jake ( or who knows what else in between.) 

• Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Lucky we got Schmidt for next to nothing because he is a tire fire defensively. Myers ,Schmidt , Hughes  are all bad defensively. Rathbone too small Hughes to small , Edler too old , Juolevi cant turn under pressure to the outside. Yah we look good offensively but when big forwards come in on them and they are not supported its a train wreck in their end.

23 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Not signing Toffoli was a huge mistake and thats on JB

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I said no such thing nor did I imply it. Toffoli was gone, blame whoever for that, I don’t care. The world didn’t stop after that and JB moved on to AG and Jake ( or who knows what else in between.) 

Toffoli was gone because Canucks never bothered to contact him.... Why is this so hard to comprehend.....

I think its hilarious that so many defend Benning for not even trying to keep Toffoli because of his commitment to young players instead then Benning completely stomps on their defense narrative himself by saying how he needs to aggressively target ufa skill and speed this offseason.

Its actually comical.

Benning is like the NHL version of Donald Trump. Just completely hangs his supporters out to dry after they come up with all kinds of mental gymnastics to defend his bonehead moves.

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think its hilarious that so many defend Benning for not even trying to keep Toffoli because of his commitment to young players instead then Benning completely stomps on their defense narrative himself by saying how he needs to aggressively target ufa skill and speed this offseason.

Its actually comical.

Benning is like the NHL version of Donald Trump. Just completely hangs his supporters out to dry after they come up with all kinds of mental gymnastics to defend his bonehead moves.

Painting everyone with the same brush still huh? 

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Toffoli was gone because Canucks never bothered to contact him.... Why is this so hard to comprehend.....

That’s fine, I understand your point. Now  if you go back you’ll see I never said otherwise and made NO comment on why he was gone. Never once did I offer an excuse or defence of it. The point is that once he was gone the world did not stop spinning. JB signed Hawryluk  and Gaudette exactly one week after TT signed in Montreal, and JV three days later.