The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Scheifele be suspended and for how long?

Rate this topic

Will Scheifele be suspended and for how long?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Frick. Now I'm stumped as to who said that. @NewbieCanuckFan? @Canuck Surfer? Bueller? 

Noy, not me.  I am still smarting. 

From Scheifele's WJC year?  Him and Huberdeau looked sorta meh. But Griffin Reinhart looked great!

Guess who I picked in my hockey pool...

Call me ruthless, I guess?  :picard:

• Haha 1

I agree with the suspension.   If anything I think 4 games might be light - should probably be the remainder of the series.

I think the league goes too light in general.

Scheifele blew a head gasket - lost his composure - threw an 'angry' hit.

1)  Beyond charging - he launched into the hit and wound up leaving his feet.

2) Chickenwing may or may not have worsened the hit - shoulder to head was bad enough - but just further evidence of how reckless he was.

Bottom line - he had zero regard for Evans - and the hit was beyond careless.

He deserves the result imo.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

I've said my piece on the hit/suspension, but one thing I'll say about all this talk of retribution and rough play, is that I don't think the Habs really want to go that route.

Winnipeg is on average, bigger and heavier than Montreal and the last thing the Habs want is for Shea Weber to be putting himself in position for an injury or a suspension of his own. If anyone decides to mete out any "justice" it will likely be Edmundson or maybe Chiarot.....

....but the Jets have Stanley and Forbert......

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

My guess would be @stawns He's from the area and played in the Dub....

Thanks, RUPERT. I don't think it was stawns. I do remember him saying that he popped Ray Ferraro in the kisser during a confrontation they had when stawns was coaching junior.

19 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Noy, not me.  I am still smarting. 

From Scheifele's WJC year?  Him and Huberdeau looked sorta meh. But Griffin Reinhart looked great!

Guess who I picked in my hockey pool...

Call me ruthless, I guess?  :picard:

Hahaha. 

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've said my piece on the hit/suspension, but one thing I'll say about all this talk of retribution and rough play, is that I don't think the Habs really want to go that route.

Winnipeg is on average, bigger and heavier than Montreal and the last thing the Habs want is for Shea Weber to be putting himself in position for an injury or a suspension of his own. If anyone decides to mete out any "justice" it will likely be Edmundson or maybe Chiarot.....

Lowry is the meanest piece of business that the Jets have. I could see he and Chiarot squaring off at some point. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal went 3-3-3 against the Jets in the regular season despite the fact that they were playing 5 games every 8 nights for 5 weeks.  They also had a ton of injuries.  The team you saw in the second half is not indicative of how good they can be.  I think these teams are much closer matched than you give Montreal credit for.  Goaltending is a wash. Montreal D is superior. Winnipeg has higher end forwards but Montreal has depth throughout the forward lines. 

Not sure about that. I see Montreal more as a regular season team whereas wpg is built for the playoffs. But Montreal's been uneven all year so hard to tell what they're really made of, so you could be right of course.

Want to see a long series regardless...

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal went 3-3-3 against the Jets in the regular season despite the fact that they were playing 5 games every 8 nights for 5 weeks.  They also had a ton of injuries.  The team you saw in the second half is not indicative of how good they can be.  I think these teams are much closer matched than you give Montreal credit for.  Goaltending is a wash. Montreal D is superior. Winnipeg has higher end forwards but Montreal has depth throughout the forward lines. 

Good point about Montreal D, that's a solid group although not flashy. I'd say the advantage for wpg regarding forwards is bigger than Habs advantage on D though and that's by a wide margin. But of course D wins in the playoffs...

6 minutes ago, J-P said:

Not sure about that. I see Montreal more as a regular season team whereas wpg is built for the playoffs. But Montreal's been uneven all year so hard to tell what they're really made of, so you could be right of course.

Want to see a long series regardless...

I think the Habs are more built for the playoffs. They lost so many 3v3/shootouts due to their lack of elite offensive talent yet were able to come back in a lot of games to get to OT. They are a better 5v5 team than people give credit for. 

7 minutes ago, J-P said:

Not sure about that. I see Montreal more as a regular season team

Defense & goaltending?  Acquired Josh Anderson, Joel Edmundson last summer, Weber a few years ago, Chiarot...

These are not small guys. Brought in for play off battles! 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think the Habs are more built for the playoffs. They lost so many 3v3/shootouts due to their lack of elite offensive talent yet were able to come back in a lot of games to get to OT. They are a better 5v5 team than people give credit for. 

You need elite offensive talent to score the winning goals 5v5 also though, and especially in the playoffs. Montreal are well balanced, agree on that, but I just don't see them matching up to wpg offensively and physically. Will be an interesting series either way.

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Defense & goaltending?  Acquired Josh Anderson, Joel Edmundson last summer, Weber a few years ago, Chiarot...

These are not small guys. Brought in for play off battles! 

Yup, would love all of those guys on our team, and they definitely have a good D, but my take is they're not talented or physical enough up front. I see them as NYI but without the forward grit and talent. Again, with a better D though.

17 minutes ago, J-P said:

You need elite offensive talent to score the winning goals 5v5 also though, and especially in the playoffs. Montreal are well balanced, agree on that, but I just don't see them matching up to wpg offensively and physically. Will be an interesting series either way.

Offensively, Montreal seemed to come out on top in game one pretty handily. 

While Stanley is a huge guy and willing throw down, he's really not that tough. Same for Forbort. They both were incapable of snuffing the Zack Attack, so I'm not sure how stack up against legitimate beasts in Shea Weber, Ben Chiarot, and Joel Edmunson. Forbort and Stanley may have a height advantage, but from a height and weight advantage, as well as a generally mean disposition, it's Montreal.  

The forward core is pretty equal really. Anderson, Staal, Perry, and Armia stack up quite nicely against Wheeler, Lowry, Dubois and Appleton. The skill is pretty equal really, but I think Montreal may have more playoff experience cumulatively with Perry, Toffoli, Weber. Gallagher, while not a large man is about as tough as anyone in the league, and has been credited with one of the best shooting percentages in the league.

The goaltenders are both excellent and as good as it gets in the NHL. 

Losing Scheifele is going to hurt the Jets big time.

Edited by PhillipBlunt

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Weber is already injured - and it looks pretty evident it's his wrist/hand....

He played well vs Toronto - as well as he probably could -  but what you did not see was that lethal bomb he has - that literally no one wants to get in front of.

I don't think it was a mystery either - Toronto didn't have to key on him as much as they usually would have - he took very few shots/attempts, and none of them looked like the signature Weber bomb -  but Toronto still didn't manage to close out that series.

Weber is probably the last guy they want to be throwing punches into the helmet of some alternative target - after all, Scheifele will not even be on the ice.

The time to answer - was probably right when it happened  - or if/when he returns.

Otherwise, the whole thing is far too caveman.

No other Jet is responsible for Scheifele's hit.  Nothing is gonna be served by someone else standing in to eat punches for him - it's the old 'enforcer' dynamic where teams trot out their enforcers to fight each other and allegedly justice was served.

And bottom line - a guy like Weber is 230ish lbs - not in Scheifele's weight class....

These teams need to stay healthy.  The winner here is 'our' bid for the Cup.

It'll be amped up no doubt - but just get back to playing hockey.

26 minutes ago, J-P said:

do you really?  and what is "elite offensive talent"?  who qualifies?  and how often do those players score the 'winning 5on5 goals'?   I'm not sure that is as A to B as you perceive.

I'm pretty sure both the teams that had the obvious examples of those qualifying players - were sent home in the first round.

Edited by oldnews

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

He played well vs Toronto - as well as he probably could -  but what you did not see was that lethal bomb he has - that literally no one wants to get in front of.

I don't think it was a mystery either - Toronto didn't have to key on him as much as they usually would have - he took very few shots/attempts, and none of them looked like the signature Weber bomb -  but Toronto still didn't manage to close out that series.

Weber is probably the last guy they want to be throwing punches into the helmet of some alternative target - after all, Scheifele will not even be on the ice.

The time to answer - was probably right when it happened  - or if/when he returns.

No other Jet is responsible for Scheifele's hit.  Nothing is gonna be served by someone else standing in to eat punches for him - it's the old 'enforcer' dynamic where teams trot out their enforcers to fight each other and allegedly justice was served.

And bottom line - a guy like Weber is 230ish lbs - not in Scheifele's weight class....

I guess it depends on whether it gets to a game 6....

But even then, I think it would be a mistake (even for Edmundson) to look for trouble. A dumb penalty at that point could cost you the series.

I think that in this case the league has taken care of it and the teams will play hockey, but I guess we'll see.

16 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I’m sitting on a beach drinking beer the next few nights. I’ll have to go back and check exactly what the deal was isn’t admitting I was wrong or dumb good enough?

lol im just bugging you, its a good thing you went out the other day, grey skies where im at.

39 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It'll probably get chippy for the remaining games with the hit total 70+ for each game, but I think that will have everything to do with wanting to win the series and nothing having to do with Scheifele/Evans.

With Scheifele out and Ehlers showing excellent humanity in his shielding of Evans, the need for retribution has most likely zeroed out and dissipated. There's too much on the line to waste time on an unnecessary evening of the score through a staged fight. 

Seeing as how the next opponent will be Colorado, either team will want to be facing them as unhindered as possible. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

38 minutes ago, J-P said:

Yup, would love all of those guys on our team, and they definitely have a good D, but my take is they're not talented or physical enough up front. I see them as NYI but without the forward grit and talent. Again, with a better D though.

Well?

NYI's are also pretty good defensively. FWIW.

Armia was a clever pick up for the Habs as well. He is big, 6'4'' 210 lbs. Corey Perry was brought in because he is gritty, not for his speed!  :blush:  Really, he's not a goal scorer as his primary role any more. These guys selections were crafted for bodies that disrupt another teams skill.

Gallagher is the very definition of a gamer! I do give them credit for team construction.

Where I do agree with you?  Montreal's talent players are, at best, not as advanced. They are buying time for a core to be built on Kotkaniemi, Caufield & Suzuki. But honestly, who is high end on NYI's beyond Barzal? Even then, not the elite of elite! The Islanders are a similar construction of roles, good coaching...

Leaving teams with Crosby, Ovechkin, etc., watching later rounds.