The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Yes, Seth Jones fits within the cap NOW.

Just now, 4petesake said:

SI.com has done a piece where they rated the potential destinations for Jones as:

Best hockey fits - Chicago, Philly, Winnipeg.

The sleepers - Detroit, NJ, 

Best personal fits - Colorado, Dallas, Edmonton 

Best all-around fit - LA Kings

I just can't see Detroit, NJ and LA giving up their rebuild process to bring in an $8M+ AAV, 27 year old defenceman.  They're simply not at that point in their rebuild progress.

Dallas I could see.

The Avs won't take him cuz he would blow-up their internal cap structure.

The Oilers have nothing to offer.

Chicago doesn't have much to offer right now either.

I could definitely see Philly being an option.  Something around Sanheim and Nolan Patrick.

Winnipeg ... maybe...

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

His cap this year is only 5+

And then what?  I guess he could be a rental for a top tier team... ?  I don't see a rental scenario where a top tier team would give up a LOT of assets though.

Just now, HKSR said:

And then what?  I guess he could be a rental for a top tier team... ?  I don't see a rental scenario where a top tier team would give up a LOT of assets though.

Well thats why i said a 2nd and schmidt. Money is the same between the 2 so that would be a wash and i added a high pick yet we have money to give him a raise after next season and can offer columbus a first if he does re-sign. 

a 1st a 2nd and a roster player for a guy that wont sign with your team is a very fair offer that is probably a lot better than other teams can offer.

Decent article by Brad Keffer looking at the potential for a Jones to Philadelphia trade. It's not an endorsement of Jones by any means, in fact somewhat to the contrary.

Seth Jones defends the blueline like Andrew MacDonald (msn.com)

The last thing the Canucks need is a defenseman that struggles with preventing zone entries. Especially one looking for a $8M+ payday in free agency. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Decent article by Brad Keffer looking at the potential for a Jones to Philadelphia trade. It's not an endorsement of Jones by any means, in fact somewhat to the contrary.

Seth Jones defends the blueline like Andrew MacDonald (msn.com)

The last line sums up his opinion pretty well doesn’t it. It’s an expensive bet for any team.

Finally, I don’t think you can ever rule out a potential change of scenery having a big effect on a player’s performance — but this would be one hell of an expensive bet to make. One that the Flyers shouldn’t look to make, especially with better trade options still potentially available.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

The last line sums up his opinion pretty well doesn’t it. It’s an expensive bet for any team.

Finally, I don’t think you can ever rule out a potential change of scenery having a big effect on a player’s performance — but this would be one hell of an expensive bet to make. One that the Flyers shouldn’t look to make, especially with better trade options still potentially available.

Without a doubt. If Benning is to shell out the bucks for a right handed top defenseman, the player has to be a solid all around defenseman that can support Hughes offensive output, and be a lot more capable in his own end. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I just can't see Detroit, NJ and LA giving up their rebuild process to bring in an $8M+ AAV, 27 year old defenceman.  They're simply not at that point in their rebuild progress.

Dallas I could see.

The Avs won't take him cuz he would blow-up their internal cap structure.

The Oilers have nothing to offer.

Chicago doesn't have much to offer right now either.

I could definitely see Philly being an option.  Something around Sanheim and Nolan Patrick.

Winnipeg ... maybe...

Dallas and Philly I can see. The writer seems to think that the Kings are at the right point in the rebuild to pull it off, lots of good assets with the third highest rated farm systems. Unless they moved Doughty it doesn’t make sense to me.

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Without a doubt. If Benning is to shell out the bucks for a right handed top defenseman, the player has to be a solid all around defenseman that can support Hughes offensive output, and be a lot more capable in his own end. 

Also i find it hard to believe any team is willing to give a 1st rounder for a rental player. Maybe at the trade deadline sure.

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

9 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Dallas and Philly I can see. The writer seems to think that the Kings are at the right point in the rebuild to pull it off, lots of good assets with the third highest rated farm systems. Unless they moved Doughty it doesn’t make sense to me.

After reading that article, I have my doubts on whether I'd want Jones next to Hughes.  That could be an expensive disaster... especially if Baumgartner is still around lol.

Jones is probably akin to Doughty.  Mind you Doughty was better overall in his prime... but I could see Jones being that type of defenceman.  More offensive oriented.

• Vintage 2

11 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I don't see the Kings at that stage.  They're probably closer to unloading guys like Kopitar, Doughty, and Brown, than they are to adding Seth Jones at $8M+ and aged in his late 20s already.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't see the Kings at that stage.  They're probably closer to unloading guys like Kopitar, Doughty, and Brown, than they are to adding Seth Jones at $8M+ and aged in his late 20s already.

I agree with you. I think the Kings are a couple years away from it making sense to add a piece like this. Here is his reasoning FWIW.

Do the Kings tick every box as a Jones destination? I think so. Hockey wise, this franchise has laid in the weeds since Rob Blake took over as GM in 2017, slowly piling up prospects. The Kings have reached a critical mass now. In Future Watch 2021, our panel of active NHL scouts and executives ranked L.A.’s farm system third in the league and placed six Kings prospects among the individual top 100. The Kings theoretically could ice a 2021-22 lineup including the following graduates from their recent drafts: Gabe Vilardi, Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Quinton Byfield, Arthur Kaliyev, Rasmus Kupari and Tobias Bjornfot, with Alex Turcotte, Samuel Fagemo and Akil Thomas knocking on the door. With Anze Kopitar still performing at a high enough level to handle all the toughest minutes as the captain and veteran shutdown center, the Kings are ready to start climbing in what should be a soft Pacific Division next year. 

Adding Jones could accelerate the process ­– though he plays the same side as Drew Doughty. That could be a boon to both players, however, as they could each drive their own pair and have slightly less responsibility than they do on their own.

From a personal standpoint, L.A. could make a logical long-term home for Jones, too. He’s a CAA client under L.A-based Pat Brisson.

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

To Van:

Seth Jones

To CBJ:

Olli Juolevi

Kole Lind

Jonah Gadjovich

2021 2nd Round Pick

2022 1st Round Pick (Conditional -- if Canucks fail to make the playoffs, this pick becomes a 2nd round pick)

VAN does this for obvious reasons, to pair Jones with Hughes for years to come.

CBJ does this to seriously jump start their rebuild.  Three young and quite promising prospects that are ready for the next step and capable of playing on an NHL roster now, while also getting a high 2nd round pick this year, and possibly a 1st round pick next year (or another 2nd).

So what does this look like long-term?

2021-22 assumptions include:

-- Petey and Hughes extended on bridge deals at $6.5M x 3yrs

-- Re-signing Sutter at $2.5M x 3yrs, same with Hamonic

-- Roussel traded for a bag of pucks

-- Goodbye Virtanen

-- Kraken takes Holtby (may need to make a side deal for this to happen)

-- Canucks select Mason McTavish 9th overall

2022-23 and the future assumptions:

-- Jones signs an $8M AAV extension

-- Boeser signs a $7M AAV extension

-- Horvat signs a $6.5M AAV extension

-- Miller walks or is traded in a couple years

-- Hogs and Podz get bridge deals at $4.5M AAV when ELCs are done

-- Petey and Hughes sign extensions at $8.5M AAV for 2024-25 onwards

CapWithJones.jpg.ee3f38e758d999fbdbe04eccfda1d2ce.jpg

So as you can see, the issues come in 2024-25.  Need 4 more forwards including a Top 6 with $9.225M in cap space, and then 5 forwards in 2025-26 with $11.075M in cap space.  Who knows where the cap will be then though.

You have a well laid out plan but there’s no way CBJ accepts that deal for Jones since they’ll be able to command far more than that.

Seth Jones would be a SPECTACULAR fit with Toronto, possibly in exchange for William Nylander. Obviously, Toronto would have to replace Nylander's offence but they've got prospects and picks they can move to fill in some holes. Muzzin goes with Rielly, Brodie goes with Jones and the Maple Leafs trade Liljegren, who will be made expendable by the acquisition of Jones and will bring in a top nine forward. Then they bring in a UFA, call up Robertson and keeping Foligno for next season on a discounted rate. 

Toronto has the offensive tools with Tavares, Matthews and Marner and I think some of that forward money needs to be re-allocated if they want to win. Another fit for Seth Jones would be the New Jersey Devils. New Jersey is awash with forward prospects, and the strength they've shored up down the middle along with their wealth in picks could make them an attractive destination for Jones. The final spot would be the New York Rangers, although I don't think they have the depth down the middle to fill Columbus' organizational needs.

Essentially, Columbus will trade Jones and they'll have to build around Laine, Roslovic, Werenski and Korpisalo. I think they're better off stripping the team down and starting from scratch and going after a young star that will take them to the next level. I think Davidson can fix some of the problems going on in Columbus but after getting gutted by losing Panarin, Duchene, Bobrovsky and Dzingel they just don't have the horses. Time to rebuild the rebuild I guess. 

17 hours ago, HKSR said:

To Van:

Seth Jones

To CBJ:

Olli Juolevi

Kole Lind

Jonah Gadjovich

2021 2nd Round Pick

2022 1st Round Pick (Conditional -- if Canucks fail to make the playoffs, this pick becomes a 2nd round pick)

"Take it!! Take our trash and give us diamonds!"

Garbage GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

17 hours ago, HKSR said:

This was under the assumption that has CBJ looking to rebuild.  If that's the case, this is a serious haul in terms of rebuilding.  These young players are NHL capable too... we've seen them play, and they can contribute.  Still tons of potential in all 3, let alone adding a high 2nd round pick and potentially a 1st round pick next year.  That's 5 quality prospects. 

But of course, typically CDC way undervalues our own assets and overvalues every other team's assets.  So for many CDCers, Juolevi, Lind, and Gadjovich are all crap tier prospects, and a 2nd round pick and 1st round pick are worthless too.

1 hour ago, AriGold said:

"Take it!! Take our trash and give us diamonds!"

Garbage GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

And there it is.... thanks for making my point.