The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Holtby (Van) - Kerfoot (Tor)

TO needs a 1b G, Canucks need a #3c option.

Canucks trade Holtby 4.3m to the Laffs for BC boy Kerfoot and his 3.5m cap hit.

Canucks can retain some salary to cover the cap difference. Laffs can use Spezza/Jumbo Joe or some other onTerrible born NHL player who wants to come in on a league minimum 1yr deal

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

decent deal for us post-expansion. I'm not a big Kerfoot fan but he's a nice upgrade on almost anyone on our bottom 6.

Ya he is not your ideal #3C option but if we still have Holtby post expansion getting someone back for him who could fill that role would be an alright option. I am fine with keeping Holtby and doing this deal at the TDL also to the Laffs or another team want a G.

Could SJ be interested in Holtby and send us Jones back retained and give us a decent pick also for taking on those extra years of his deal. But as others have said here maybe Clark can get Jones back in form, he has done well with so many others I wouldn't be surprised then we might still have 2 good G's and gained an asset in the process...it may take a full season with Clark before Jones figures things out mind you or it may change nothing and you are stuck with him but for like half of what his cap hit currently is

I don't know if the Leafs would care, but Holtby's contract was back loaded.  They would have to pay $5.7M on that $4.3M cap hit.

Also, he does have a modified NTC.  Apparently it's only a 4 team no trade list, but I wonder what 4 teams that might be?

5 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Ya he is not your ideal #3C option but if we still have Holtby post expansion getting someone back for him who could fill that role would be an alright option. I am fine with keeping Holtby and doing this deal at the TDL also to the Laffs or another team want a G.

Could SJ be interested in Holtby and send us Jones back retained and give us a decent pick also for taking on those extra years of his deal. But as others have said here maybe Clark can get Jones back in form, he has done well with so many others I wouldn't be surprised then we might still have 2 good G's and gained an asset in the process...it may take a full season with Clark before Jones figures things out mind you or it may change nothing and you are stuck with him but for like half of what his cap hit currently is

I like that idea too potentially, depends on the deal of course but I'm sure Jones wants out. They'd have to retain a lot tho. 

17 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I would think you would move Kerfoot to the wing and keep Miller as your 3rd centre.  EP needs to stay fresh and play the pp and offensive minutes.  Horvat and Miller as your 2a and 2b centers would make us a pretty strong team up the middle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

I don't know if the Leafs would care, but Holtby's contract was back loaded.  They would have to pay $5.7M on that $4.3M cap hit.

Also, he does have a modified NTC.  Apparently it's only a 4 team no trade list, but I wonder what 4 teams that might be?

Laffs don't care about the salary amount they are loaded!!! I assume Washington might be on that list ( I wouldn't come crawling back to the Canucks if I played for them and they let me walk as a FA after I lead them to a cup not that long ago...&^@# off with the what have you done for me lately $&!#, I won a cup for you like recently!), along with Buffalo, Arizona and 1 other lucky team...Deadmonton?

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I would think you would move Kerfoot to the wing and keep Miller as your 3rd centre.  EP needs to stay fresh and play the pp and offensive minutes.  Horvat and Miller as your 2a and 2b centers would make us a pretty strong team up the middle.

I would NOT do that no, JT Miller is far to valuable to take of our top line let alone demote him to the 3rd line. Maybe Pettersson needs to get moved the #3C role so he can face eaier opponents in the face off dot to improve in that area?? Now that sounds silly now doesn't it!

But yes, Kerfoot could be a winger for us if we had someone else at the #3 hole down the middle.

I don't see your 2a 2b idea. There are 60 minutes in a game, the #1C usually plays around 20min a game #2 16-20min, leaving 16-20min to split up between the #3 & #4C positions. I don't want us to be a team that ices a 4th line for like 5 minutes...that was fine back when fighting was a constant presence but now it isn't and we need all 4 lines who can all play, especially in the case of injuries. Better to have someone on your 4th line step up into a 3rd line role then some guy who couldn't make your team to start the year and you are calling someone up from the AHL 

Edited by Canuckster86

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Interesting notion..but would take one Helluva' sweetener.

30 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I would NOT do that no, JT Miller is far to valuable to take of our top line let alone demote him to the 3rd line. Maybe Pettersson needs to get moved the #3C role so he can face eaier opponents in the face off dot to improve in that area?? Now that sounds silly now doesn't it!

But yes, Kerfoot could be a winger for us if we had someone else at the #3 hole down the middle.

I don't see your 2a 2b idea. There are 60 minutes in a game, the #1C usually plays around 20min a game #2 16-20min, leaving 16-20min to split up between the #3 & #4C positions. I don't want us to be a team that ices a 4th line for like 5 minutes...that was fine back when fighting was a constant presence but now it isn't and we need all 4 lines who can all play, especially in the case of injuries. Better to have someone on your 4th line step up into a 3rd line role then some guy who couldn't make your team to start the year and you are calling someone up from the AHL 

During pp and key times in the game you would reunite the Lotto line, but we need more than two good lines and Miller is a very good center.  Seems a shame not to use him to spread out the 5 on 5 strength.

Hogs EP Boeser

Pearson Horvat Armia?(size, decent hands, responsible)

Kerfoot Miller Podkolzin

Motte Beagle Highmore

Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood, (Virtanen?)

This would be a strong forward group with a lot of interchangeable parts.  Miller could move up to left and Kerfoot could go back to centre at any time.  Of course if Beagle is on LTIR we would use his money to go get a bottom 6 center like Casey Cizikas. 

i wish people would not label he top 3 lines. which ever line is going the best in any given day would get the most ice time. i know the miller can drive a line and mentor podkolzin. if our 3c nxt tear can't drive that line, it ends up being a checking line. JB has said they want to go with 3 scoring lines. me too. the main question is what can we afford? i can't make the money come out, let alone add any higher priced players.

• Cheers 1

Holtby is one of the worst goalies in the league. Kerfoot outscored Pearson playing in the Leafs bottom six during the regular season and 6 points in 7 playoff games moved up into the top 6. Not a great value player at his salary but still a useful roster player. 

If we were to move Holty at 50% retained plus a pick for Kerfoot would that be useful? Probably not. Kerfoot is an upgrade in our top 6 but still expensive, we would still need to replace Holtby PLUS likely losing a pick isn't great either. 

As bad as Holtby is it isn't like we have a backup knocking on the door. It makes sense to have a vet like him backup Demko, its just Benning was stupid and paid 4.3 instead of 1.3 for a below average veteran backup. 

3 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Holtby is one of the worst goalies in the league. Kerfoot outscored Pearson playing in the Leafs bottom six during the regular season and 6 points in 7 playoff games moved up into the top 6. Not a great value player at his salary but still a useful roster player. 

If we were to move Holty at 50% retained plus a pick for Kerfoot would that be useful? Probably not. Kerfoot is an upgrade in our top 6 but still expensive, we would still need to replace Holtby PLUS likely losing a pick isn't great either. 

As bad as Holtby is it isn't like we have a backup knocking on the door. It makes sense to have a vet like him backup Demko, its just Benning was stupid and paid 4.3 instead of 1.3 for a below average veteran backup. 

Yeah, have to agree, this makes zero sense for Toronto, unless we retained half on Holtby. Then we'd end up paying another backup the 2 million we saved, and be spending just as much on goal-tending in the end.

Cizikas is the guy to go after, for sure, but he probably gets overpaid based on the playoff showcase effect.

12 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I wouldn't say that.  But for what he makes & his cap hit, oy vey what an awful signing.  Only good thing about contract was that it's only two years long.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

5 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

TO needs a 1b G, Canucks need a #3c option.

Canucks trade Holtby 4.3m to the Laffs for BC boy Kerfoot and his 3.5m cap hit.

Canucks can retain some salary to cover the cap difference. Laffs can use Spezza/Jumbo Joe or some other onTerrible born NHL player who wants to come in on a league minimum 1yr deal

My only concern in moving Holtby is that 

1) Dipietro might not be ready (he likely isn’t right now)

2) Finding a good back up would cost almost as much as Holtby anyways.

3) A “cheap” back up likely won’t do much in the way of alleviating Demko.

I’m in the camp of “let’s keep Holtby for one more year.”