The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NHL.com Article] Predators prospect Prokop comes out as gay, makes NHL history

Rate this topic

Rubik

Is he a good defensman?

Is a he a good team-mate?

Does he work hard, and help the community? 

That should be all that matters. 

I wish him nothing but the best.  Nashville seems to be really good at finding defensive talent. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 3

Good job, not an easy place to be in the beginning, NHL or other league. Most likely a few more will follow and really inspiring that it will be a younger guy as the first one that gives the older guys a chance via inspiration.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ESP77 said:

And we needed to know this... Why!?!?

Because hockey culture perpetuates and is rooted in homophobia

Because representation matters in a society built on heteronormative values and standards.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

One day when people can just be accepted for who they are is the day we don’t need to know about this 

There's always going to be some morons that don't like a minority. You're never going to stop that. And I'd say gays are pretty damn well excepted these days. I just see no reason for anyone to announce their private sexual preferences. It's no one's business.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, ESP77 said:

There's always going to be some morons that don't like a minority. You're never going to stop that. And I'd say gays are pretty damn well excepted these days. I just see no reason for anyone to announce their private sexual preferences. It's no one's business.

There's a lot more than a minority that don't like gays. Gays are not always accepted. Hungary just passed a law to bar teaching LGBT material to kids under 18. No mention about gay stuff until then, at all. That's a long life to live if you know you don't fit that category of being straight.

Furthermore, there's plenty of anti-gay people in the US/Canada. To say it's a "minority" is ignoring the problem. It IS a big problem. Same with racism. We just like to think it's a 'minority' problem. I'm not racist. I'm guessing you're not racist either. How the hell do we still have racists? Well, they're around, sometimes secretly. Sometimes not.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

There's a lot more than a minority that don't like gays. Gays are not always accepted. Hungary just passed a law to bar teaching LGBT material to kids under 18. No mention about gay stuff until then, at all. That's a long life to live if you know you don't fit that category of being straight.

Furthermore, there's plenty of anti-gay people in the US/Canada. To say it's a "minority" is ignoring the problem. It IS a big problem. Same with racism. We just like to think it's a 'minority' problem. I'm not racist. I'm guessing you're not racist either. How the hell do we still have racists? Well, they're around, sometimes secretly. Sometimes not.

Re-read what I said. The minority I was talking about was gays. There's always going to be idiots out there that don't like minorities. You're never going to change that no matter how many announcements people make. I'm in an inter racial relationship. There's still people out there that don't like that and discriminate against people for that. You don't see me making a press statement about it...

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, ESP77 said:

So just give up? If stuff like this didn’t come out in the first place how bad would it be out there for these guys? It’s only a little better now. Nothing is a permanent fix. Always keep moving forward, not sideways or backwards.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, ESP77 said:

its not a "private sexual preference", its who he is. It is everyones business if he's going to have a career and life in public. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, ESP77 said:

Re-read what I said. The minority I was talking about was gays. There's always going to be idiots out there that don't like minorities. You're never going to change that no matter how many announcements people make. I'm in an inter racial relationship. There's still people out there that don't like that and discriminate against people for that. You don't see me making a press statement about it...

You just did. :lol: Otherwise, why mention it at all to prove your 'point', if discrimination wasn't an issue? :lol::lol::lol:

You should have just shut up, period. Let him celebrate all he wants.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You just did. :lol: Otherwise, why mention it at all to prove your 'point', if discrimination wasn't an issue? :lol::lol::lol:

You should have just shut up, period. Let him celebrate all he wants.

And we wonder why hockey players are boring in interviews.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mostly that’s the case, with us common folk.  But did you hear the guy’s interview?  He mentioned that his proclamation of being gay was important because he wanted to be a beacon for others, who feel like he does.  He said that winning the Stanley would be great, but that he wanted his hockey legacy to be about helping others.  Pretty cool interview.  Very smart young guy.  

ESP obviously doesn't care about discrimination, so long as it doesn't affect HIM. He was bold enough to mention that he's in an interracial relationship. However, he made extensive efforts to talk about how this player shouldn't proclaim about being proud about coming out of the closet, IN SPITE of the present discrimination. Prokop should be proud. He has a lot of supporters. But he's also brave too because there's still a significant (contrary to ESP's claim that they're a minority) number of people who think this announcement hurts their poor little ears.

Edited by Dazzle

3 hours ago, ESP77 said:

And we needed to know this... Why!?!?

Before I comment on the above^^^^^ post, much respect for the young man, Luke Prokop, for his courage.

We need to know this because we still live in a world where a young men and women are anguished over making public declarations of who they are.  The time will come when no one will need to justify who they are, but that will only happen when courageous people like Luke Prokop take the bold first step. 

To get to a place in our society where this is no longer something individuals must have the courage to stake their place in this world is unfortunately an evolutionary process and it will never happen without young men and women like Luke Prokop.  To me, that is why this is SO important.

EDIT...read some of your other posts @ESP77.  Seems like you are already at a place where these matters are of no consequence.  Perhaps you're already where we need to get as a society, where one's difference is a non-factor.  If I may suggest, maybe let the rest of society catch up to you.  And I mean this in the most sincere manner.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Upvote 1