The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kracken= Money Puck

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, justathought said:

Managing their budget  really well. Bunch of hard working, heavy hitting guys...Going to be painful. 

Eberle is not an example of Moneyball, nor is Larsson.

In fact, much of their acquisitions don't make any sense. There's no sense of identity. Their D is so unproven. At the same time, they signed Larsson for four years.

I think Seattle is gonna be a bottom feeding team next year. Disastrous expansion draft imho.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

In fact, much of their acquisitions don't make any sense. There's no sense of identity. Their D is so unproven. At the same time, they signed Larsson for four years.

I think Seattle is gonna be a bottom feeding team next year. Disastrous expansion draft imho.

They needed to reach a cap floor with some bigger to make trades that don’t put them under the cap.

Their team is not going to look like this on opening night.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

They needed to reach a cap floor with some bigger to make trades that don’t put them under the cap.

Their team is not going to look like this on opening night.

So why sign FAs especially at max price if that's the case? You could easily ice a competitive team by taking on reasonable contracts that another team has.

26 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I like Larsson, going to work well with their D or be great trade bait. Eberle is meh. I think mgmt. obviously feels these guys are hard workers and will gel. My moneyPuck ref was to the fact that if you can put out well balanced lines of gritty, hard workers you're going to wear opponents down allowing scorers to score... I believe they'll find an "identity" real quick.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

So why sign FAs especially at max price if that's the case? You could easily ice a competitive team by taking on reasonable contracts that another team has.

Maybe if you sign the UFAs that teams are most interested in you take them off the market and offer up in trade after the fact. I’m sure some teams were hoping to go the UFA route to tinker/upgrade their roster, especially as you don’t have to lose anything to obtain a player, and now Francis has taken some assets away that he has identified as having best market value. 

Francis maybe has a two sided game plan. Some decent signings with experience for the azzKraks or some attractive commodities as trade bait.

Nice cheap signing with Larsson. Avg payout for what Oleksiak would get as UFA, imho. Driedger at a good deal.

Flip side is it doesn’t really benefit the player though so I guess we will have to see. And the other caveat to this is publicly introducing guys like Driedger, Oleksiak, Gio as Kraken which seems like it nullifies any potential dangle as trade bait. 

Regardless, it’ll be interesting to see what they do from here on out to really formulate a starting roster.

• Cheers 1

This club is clearly targeting the UFA route here…. And it’s not money puck, but rather an analytic puck?  Same logic applies, but without financial restraint. 

Francis has a heavy analytics team that give him a group to pick from while saving what they have budgeted for free agency.  They’re gonna be a stingy bunch from the top down… just a pain to deal with and play against

Edited by 70seven

I definitely would’ve done things differently…. And wouldn’t have been so stubborn…. But he’s also making a statement to the league. “Don’t F us around.  Be prepared to pay premium in every instance.”…. But ya.. I prefer to make friends haha

Edited by 70seven
  • Cheers 1

What was that bit good ol' KB3 said once upon a time? Ahh, yes, “if a 6-foot-8 guy who can’t skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal.”. 

Doesn't matter how big they are, we'll likely be faster, and unlike their projected forward group, we can score goals. We've got room to add size as well. 

3 minutes ago, 70seven said:

This club is clearly targeting the UFA route here…. And it’s not money puck, but rather an analytic puck?  Same logic applies, but without financial restraint. 

Francis has a heavy analytics team that give him a group to pick from while saving what they have budgeted for free agency.  They’re gonna be a stingy bunch from the top down… just a pain to deal with and play against

In my most unprofessional and unqualified opinion, I think he's overthinking the game. He's acquired some older players like Eberle, mixed in with some really unproven/underrated guys, but I don't really see a pattern with that team. He could've chosen some better players (not journeyman players like Rayheuther from Columbus) and still kept within an internal cap. Kole Lind - where does he fit on the team? Why did they pick the player who had 7 NHL games with 0 points? He's very likely to go back to the AHL, which means waivers, which means a wasted pick.

I'm totally not a fan of Seattle's expansion, and if I was a fan of the team, I'd feel let down. The players they brought in aren't really "marketable" or "exciting" players, minus guys like Eberle.

• Cheers 1