The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kracken= Money Puck

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

In any environment analytics gives you the picture but not the answer.  It gives you the information to help guide a decision but you should never rely on them alone. 

Sadly, most posters on HF Canucks have’t quite figured this out unfortunately.  

• Cheers 1

As it stands, I personally see their line up as something like:

McCann-Gourde-Eberle

Tanev-Appleton-Donskoi

Quenneville-Jarnkrok-Geekie

Twarynski-True-Pitlick

Blackwell, Lind, Bastian

Giordano-Larsson

Oleksiak-Dunn

H. Fleury-Soucy

C. Fleury, Cholowski, Lauzon, Bayreuther, Borgen, MacDermid

Driedger, Vinacek, Daccord

Line-up is very rough since some guys, like Appleton, may be out of their position of strength (although he does play C even if he spent a lot of time at RW).  There's still FA and trades so I'm sure that's going to change, perhaps significantly.

That forward group needs a lot of work and my guess is we'll see some selected D not make it to the final roster, but they should at least be a pesky team to play against with that line-up.  If they can add at least a couple of established FAs at forward or even at D (e.g. Hamilton), then that team is going to be quite dangerous.  Maybe not contenders in any way, but a team that could challenge for a playoff spot and spoil the hopes of other teams that hope to do so.

Edited by EternalCanuckFan
  • Like 1

So anyway, Seattle's team is far from money puck now. They just splashed a bit during FA:

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/07/28/kraken-make-big-free-agent-goalie-splash-with-grubauer-wennberg/

You know the problem with the Kraken is that they were so focussed on making moves so that the other team didn't benefit during expansion.

We saw this with: Carey Price, MTL; Holtby, VAN. I seriously think they were overthinking this whole process and should've taken what Seattle would benefit from the most. But I guess we should be thankful that Seattle didn't take Carey Price.

I'm not saying Grubauer isn't good, but their signings weren't any more or less of a "moneyball".

Wennberg is not a bad signing, but I don't think he'll put Seattle "over the top". And Schwartz, the article talks about how he's in decline, so it's a bit of a gamble there.

Also not a fan of their strategy of collecting mid-round draft picks. They are not Arizona, so what is a 4th round pick in 2023 gonna do for you?

Did anyone really think FA was going to save Seattle?

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

So anyway, Seattle's team is far from money puck now. They just splashed a bit during FA:

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/07/28/kraken-make-big-free-agent-goalie-splash-with-grubauer-wennberg/

You know the problem with the Kraken is that they were so focussed on making moves so that the other team didn't benefit during expansion.

We saw this with: Carey Price, MTL; Holtby, VAN. I seriously think they were overthinking this whole process and should've taken what Seattle would benefit from the most. But I guess we should be thankful that Seattle didn't take Carey Price.

I'm not saying Grubauer isn't good, but their signings weren't any more or less of a "moneyball".

Wennberg is not a bad signing, but I don't think he'll put Seattle "over the top". And Schwartz, the article talks about how he's in decline, so it's a bit of a gamble there.

Also not a fan of their strategy of collecting mid-round draft picks. They are not Arizona, so what is a 4th round pick in 2023 gonna do for you?

Did anyone really think FA was going to save Seattle?

They're going to make the 90's Devils look entertaining in comparison.  That forward group will have trouble scoring at the Roxy on ladies' night.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They're going to make the 90's Devils look entertaining in comparison.  That forward group will have trouble scoring at the Roxy on ladies' night.

Seattle needs to employ the trap system ;)

I am really confident that Vancouver will outscore them.

34 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

uh oh. Looks like someone was using a faulty slide rule. 

this is pretty funny tho, this is the kind of thing you'd think more than one person could have checked. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

uh oh. Looks like someone was using a faulty slide rule. 

this is pretty funny tho, this is the kind of thing you'd think more than one person could have checked. 

I'm guessing this was done intentionally to see if they could get away with it. It seems a little too quick to fix the mistake so quickly on the 3rd year...

12 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I'm guessing this was done intentionally to see if they could get away with it. It seems a little too quick to fix the mistake so quickly on the 3rd year...

probably. Guessing no recapture tho. 

12 hours ago, Dazzle said:

It's such a minor mistake.  It happened also with SJS when they signed Boedker.  

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, mll said:

It's such a minor mistake.  It happened also with SJS when they signed Boedker.  

it is. But you know what the media would do if it were our management group making that mistake, they'd be merciless. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 3

Money Ball is such an overused term...... and the book/movie was so deceptive. little mention of the fact the A's had the MVP and Cy Young Award winners. neither of whom had anything to do with moneyball premise..... as far as i could tell, moneyball stressed batters getting "base on balls". of course, if you check, only fearsome hitters get alot of base on balls. not your 260 hitting, 10 home run catcher.

basically, moneyball implies that you value players quite differently than most other teams. i don't have much insight as to whether seattle qualifies.

the nice thing about LV and now seattle is that you aren't burdened by underperforming, big contract players...... so in the first season, all your $$$$ is reasonably well spent... and you have new fresh culture (ties into no horrible contracts on team too)

• Cheers 1