The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Boston and Vancouver

15 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Nobody will touch Jake with a ten foot pole with that lawsuit hanging in the air.

Not a lawyer, but is there a criminal case there? Sounds a bit more like a civil case which probably wouldn’t affect his US  eligibility?  

• Upvote 1

Just now, sonoman said:

Not a lawyer, but is there a criminal case there? Sounds a bit more like a civil case which probably wouldn’t affect his US  eligibility?  

Yeah I was only referring to the civil case.  It's still a risk I don't think another team would want.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Gotta get a proposal in before the draft, just because... lol.

To Boston:

Nate Schmidt

Jake Virtanen

2nd round pick (41st OA)

To Vancouver:

Jake Debrusk

1st round pick (21st OA)

Canucks pick Kent Johnston 9th OA

Canucks pick Corson Ceulemans 21st OA

Boston does this as they are interested in Schmidt as their LHD is rather weak.  They also unload Debrusk who they're not happy with anyway.  They give up a 1st round pick but pickup a relatively high 2nd round pick and also add Virtanen (if there's any team that doesn't value character very much, it's Boston... Jake is still a capable NHL player).

Canucks gain a much higher 2nd pick in the draft to allow them to pick Ceulemans.  They also add a Top 9 forward in Debrusk.

The biggest question mark with any proposal involving JV is that, if he is convicted of sexual assault, then he will not be able to cross the border and his career will be over.

11 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

The biggest question mark with any proposal involving JV is that, if he is convicted of sexual assault, then he will not be able to cross the border and his career will be over.

J.V. is not criminally charged with sexual assault, or any other kind of sexual misconduct. Border crossing will not be an issue.

He may lose the lawsuit against him, but that will not be a criminal conviction, just a monetary, court ordered payment, to the alleged victim.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

J.V. is not criminally charged with sexual assault, or any other kind of sexual misconduct. Border crossing will not be an issue.

He may lose the lawsuit against him, but that will not be a criminal conviction, just a monetary, court ordered payment, to the alleged victim.

Yea, a little misunderstanding of the situation.

But, can't think of many teams that would touch a player who is under investigation for sexual misconduct until the situations been resolved and only if the verdict is in his favor.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

DeAngelo just got bought out for being a racist Trump acolyte.  It’s not unreasonable to think teams won’t want anything to do with an accused rapist.  Optics matter 

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

If I’m reading this correctly...we are trading Jake Virtanen (a functioning NHL player needing a change of scenery and a get out of jail free card) for Jake DeBrusk (another functioning NHL player that could use a change but without the legal issues). At the same time Schmidt and a second swap for a first. 

it’s an interesting proposal. Our second is the 41st pick while the B’s first pick is the 21st. We move up 20 spots for Schmidt. While I like the deal amd would go for it I’m pretty sure that JV is less than negative value. On paper I like it though. 

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

DeAngelo just got bought out for being a racist Trump acolyte.  It’s not unreasonable to think teams won’t want anything to do with an accused rapist.  Optics matter 

True, but he will still be able to cross the border; which is what I was responding to.

Also J.V. is not an accused rapist, he has been accused of sexual assault by one person, in a non criminal court.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

True, but he will still be able to cross the border; which is what I was responding to.

Also J.V. is not an accused rapist, he has been accused of sexual assault by one person, in a non criminal court.

My point stands 

40 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

If I’m reading this correctly...we are trading Jake Virtanen (a functioning NHL player needing a change of scenery and a get out of jail free card) for Jake DeBrusk (another functioning NHL player that could use a change but without the legal issues). At the same time Schmidt and a second swap for a first. 

it’s an interesting proposal. Our second is the 41st pick while the B’s first pick is the 21st. We move up 20 spots for Schmidt. While I like the deal amd would go for it I’m pretty sure that JV is less than negative value. On paper I like it though. 

Well, given what Ristolainen just cost, it's probably more like:

Schmidt for 1st (21st OA)

Virtanen and 2nd (41st OA) for Debrusk

That looks pretty darn fair to me.

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Well, given what Ristolainen just cost, it's probably more like:

Schmidt for 1st (21st OA)

Virtanen and 2nd (41st OA) for Debrusk

That looks pretty darn fair to me.

Or:  Schmidt + 41 for Debrusk + 21.

Buy out JV.