The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

On 7/24/2021 at 8:51 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Amen dude. Such a stacked draft there will be good players to be found late in the first.

Good thing too  -  we'll be picking 29 - 32 ........... so here's hoping you are right. ::D

• Cheers 3

On 7/24/2021 at 6:12 AM, Isam said:

Nemic is a serious name to watch in this draft.

He must have had 15-20 shot attempts today. Dunno how many actually reached the net, but it gives you an idea of the type of player he is. Not sure I see an offensive dynamo there. Defensively though he's a behemoth. I'd probably have him as the third best D at this point, behind Luneau and Salomonsson.

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Enjoy, reading your post; and with the Canucks - always, in contend mode: can you perhaps list a few late round gems to keep an eye on (?) cause the likelihood, of JB trading our top two picks to fill current needs is very high.

Well it's really hard to say at this point because we don't know where guys will end up ranked. Someone I think is a gem at this point, probably other people will see what I'm seeing and they end up going high.

Gleb Trikozov will be a fun prospect to watch. Now that the Canucks have had Podkolzin and Klimovich as early picks, and Brackett is gone, we have to assume Chibisov ranks pretty high up on the scouting staff now. Upside could be monstrous, but he could fall quite a ways due to immature play (as Lysell or Perfetti did) as well as the Russian factor.

Nazar has superstar talent but will likely fall due to size. Couple Canadian prospects I like - could be late first round or maybe later - are Daniil Zhilkin and Liam Arnsby. Both centers, Zhilkin is a goal-scorer with size and skill, and Arsby is a 5'10 two-way guy with high hockey IQ.

• Cheers 1

Assuming Canucks make the playoffs and goes deep.  Would fans be willing to trade #1 2022 to ARI for a 2 x 2nd 2022 (early and late 2nd round draft picks)?

Recoup some draft picks?

This would give ARI 3 x 1sts +  3 x 2nds. 

• Cheers 1

Darn you @HighOnHockey

I am just recovering from this years draft! And now you dangle all these juicy prospects in my face! Darn you!

Great write up thanks. I seriously don't get too hyped until Christmas time, and the world juniors..........

Alot can change in 8 months. (Ask Sean Day), Never mind 10 or 11 months, when the next draft happens

Again, thanks! Great Write ups. I wonder who will rocket up the board?

• Cheers 1

On 8/4/2021 at 7:05 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Darn you @HighOnHockey

I am just recovering from this years draft! And now you dangle all these juicy prospects in my face! Darn you!

Great write up thanks. I seriously don't get too hyped until Christmas time, and the world juniors..........

Alot can change in 8 months. (Ask Sean Day), Never mind 10 or 11 months, when the next draft happens

Again, thanks! Great Write ups. I wonder who will rocket up the board?

Yeah I know this well. I was really high on Shane McColgan, Teemu Pulkkinen, Martin Frk, to name just a few. These days I try not to be too specific with where they might be drafted; just players to watch. There's been a narrative on HF about a big three of Wright, Lambert, Savoie for a while. While it is a pretty safe bet Wright will go first, after that I prefer Miroshnichenko to the other two right now. And I don't think the difference between Savoie and Frank Nazar is so drastic. Savoie is more explosive and an inch taller. Nazar is crafty, creative, quick, shifty, and from what I've seen so far the best defensive forward in the draft. I will be very surprised if Lambert doesn't end up top five. I could conceivably see Savoie going number two, but could also pretty easily see him falling out of the top five. At this point I think the most likely D to go top five is Salomonsson, as I think he has more offensive upside than Luneau or Nemec, Chesley is getting some major hype, and the numbers back it up, but I haven't seen it in my very limited viewings of him so far.

• Like 1

Couple of big boys I'm watching from the Q. 

Maveric Lameroux 6'5 RHD and plays keep your head up hockey. Has a boomer of a shot too. 

Nathan Gaucher 6'3 C with filthy mitts around the net.  Skating is pretty decent finds open ice really well. Will be fun to watch.  

• Upvote 1

2022 and 2023 draft classes are making the 2021 draft class look weak in comparison.  I'm only judging based on the Hlinka and U18s from earlier this year.  

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

2022 and 2023 draft classes are making the 2021 draft class look weak in comparison.  I'm only judging based on the Hlinka and U18s from earlier this year.  

Lol don't get me started on 2023 already. And Russian has '24-eligible Ivan Demidov (late birthday + underage) playing well.

2022 is loaded with both high-end talent and depth. 2023 we know so far the top two are borderline generational, and then the next five or so beyond that (Gulyayev, Dvorski, Fantill, Jarventie), seem to be phenom-tier. 2021 didn't have any prospects I would consider phenoms, but still plenty of elite talent. To me, the big issues with the 2021 class are risk and time. I believe there are players in the top ten or 15 who will be very good and elite NHLers, but there will be busts, and there will be good players who take most of their RFA years to establish themselves.

• Cheers 1

After Russia started the tournament with the big line of Miro-Kvochko-Michkov, they soon split them up to spread around the offense. Not exactly sure the impetus for this, as they likely dominated the tournament either way. Part of it may have been the emergence of Demidov as the third line center. allowed them to roll three highly dangerous lines instead of just two. From what I saw looks like the most common lines were:

Perevalov - Kvochko - Michkov

Miroshnichenko - Gazizov - Rogovsky

Trikozov - Demidov - Sinyatkin

Lots to like about Perevalov's game. Looks like a smart 200 foot player. Some pretty good skills but not sure just how high end. Miro with Gazizov was a much different look than I'm used to for Miro. Although he loves to shoot the puck, I tend to think of him more as a playmaker. Having an elite playmaker in Gazizov setting him up was a ton of fun to watch. Gazizov is just 5'10 but he's a solid body at 187. Not sure how high-end the overall skillset is, but that kid can make plays - elite vision and hockey sense. Sinyatkin is another interesting prospect; more of your traditional Russian winger - smallish, elite puck skills, but I'm not sure how much else.

After Slovakia had dominated everyone else in the tournament, they met their match and then some against Russia in the gold medal game. Huge dropoff in talent after the top six forwards for Slovakia, and a pretty big dropoff after the big three (Slafkovsky, Mesar, Dvorsky), who were spread between two lines. Slovakia's top two lines were largely able to keep up with any of Russian's lines, but their bottom six was victimized by by Russia's bottom six, and as well as the big lines kept up, ultimately there's just no stopping Michkov and Miro.

The biggest surprise of the tournament for me was Jonathan Lekkerimaki for Sweden. I guess not a big shock, since looking at the stats going in he was a player I took note of, but I thought he was probably Sweden's best player in the tournament. His speed and quickness alone make him dangerous, but his shot and hockey sense also look pretty high end.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

After Russia started the tournament with the big line of Miro-Kvochko-Michkov, they soon split them up to spread around the offense. Not exactly sure the impetus for this, as they likely dominated the tournament either way. Part of it may have been the emergence of Demidov as the third line center. allowed them to roll three highly dangerous lines instead of just two. From what I saw looks like the most common lines were:

Perevalov - Kvochko - Michkov

Miroshnichenko - Gazizov - Rogovsky

Trikozov - Demidov - Sinyatkin

Lots to like about Perevalov's game. Looks like a smart 200 foot player. Some pretty good skills but not sure just how high end. Miro with Gazizov was a much different look than I'm used to for Miro. Although he loves to shoot the puck, I tend to think of him more as a playmaker. Having an elite playmaker in Gazizov setting him up was a ton of fun to watch. Gazizov is just 5'10 but he's a solid body at 187. Not sure how high-end the overall skillset is, but that kid can make plays - elite vision and hockey sense. Sinyatkin is another interesting prospect; more of your traditional Russian winger - smallish, elite puck skills, but I'm not sure how much else.

After Slovakia had dominated everyone else in the tournament, they met their match and then some against Russia in the gold medal game. Huge dropoff in talent after the top six forwards for Slovakia, and a pretty big dropoff after the big three (Slafkovsky, Mesar, Dvorsky), who were spread between two lines. Slovakia's top two lines were largely able to keep up with any of Russian's lines, but their bottom six was victimized by by Russia's bottom six, and as well as the big lines kept up, ultimately there's just no stopping Michkov and Miro.

The biggest surprise of the tournament for me was Jonathan Lekkerimaki for Sweden. I guess not a big shock, since looking at the stats going in he was a player I took note of, but I thought he was probably Sweden's best player in the tournament. His speed and quickness alone make him dangerous, but his shot and hockey sense also look pretty high end.

Thanks for the write up! 

When it comes to Michov and Miro, would you say that one of the was more clutch then the other?  Who scored/created the big goals when Russia needed them?  

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Thanks for the write up! 

When it comes to Michov and Miro, would you say that one of the was more clutch then the other?  Who scored/created the big goals when Russia needed them?  

Hm. That's kinda tough. This team (Miro, Michkov, Gazizov, Kvochko, Rogovsky, Duda) has never really been involved in close games amongst their own age group. They walked all over the YOGs a couple years ago and weren't in any close games. It was a little different at U18s when they were under-age, but Michkov and Miro were key players. In the gold medal game, Michkov had the opening goal and 3 points in a 5-3 loss. Miro's line was held scoreless. In the semi-final against Finland, Michkov had a goal in the first, but Miro had the 5-2 and 6-3 goals in the third period of what would end up a 6-5 win. In the gold game at Hlinkas, Miro had the opening goal, and answered back after Slovakia's first goal to make it 4-1 in a game that was never really in question. The only game this team has been seriously contested against their own age group was the semi-final against Sweden at Hlinkas, where Miro was scoreless and Michkov had two key goals to lead the comeback (to make it 3-4 and 5-4).

OK, so I had to look up some scores there to be exact, and that's the objective side of it, but for the subjective side, I see Miro as more of the playoff-style player. Big, powerful, strong down low, protects the puck well, while Michkov is a little bit more of a perimeter player by comparison. I've seen enough of both already that I'm past the rose-colored glasses and have found the flaws. The biggest thing with Miro is he just needs to more consistently play that hard-nosed north-south game that makes him special, rather than relying on his skills, which aren't anywhere on Michkov's level. With Michkov, there's a lot not to like. He can be a little lackadaisical away from the puck and needs a lot of work on the defensive side of the game. He also tends to want to do an awful lot with the puck on his own, can be a little too eager to challenge defenders and even multiple defenders.

But ultimately, I'm not sure it matters. There are a handful of prospects every year - recently Perfetti, Kent Johnson, Lysell stand out - who have immense skill, but have various similar sorts of flaws that make you question their pro-translatability, and they're going to have to find a balance between learning to play a pro game while still doing what makes them special; but one thing is for sure, they will need to make adjustments for the NHL, and especially in the playoffs when competition goes up and things tighten up. I can't seem to stop citing Django Unchained lately, but of these players who are too skilled for their own good at the junior level, every once in a while, you have that "one in ten thousand" who is able to just keep doing what they are doing as they move up levels, right on to the NHL and the Stanley Cup playoffs - Patrick Kane, Nikita Kucherov come foremost to mind. And I think Michkov fits that description. Up to this point in his career playing against elite players years older than him, it's pretty much not even fair how much better he is than everyone else.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/25/2021 at 10:16 AM, ShawnAntoski said:

Great write up; but given the current moves the Canucks had made there is no chance the team will ever be competing to draft in the top 5 in this draft or any draft in the foreseeable future - unless it is by accident.   Also, I had resigned myself to accept, that for these next few years the Canucks will not have any picks in the first till second rounds - at the very least; so finding late round gems is what we can really expect, as a fanbase.

This year they had concentrated in Gradins' neck of the woods (one of the the Canucks better scout) and I wonder where they go next year ?

why's that?

• Vintage 2

5 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Lots of kids are going to be up for grabs next draft. Wright and Savoie looking like they'll be the cream of the crop. Hopefully we keep our 1st pick, get a coveted top RHD with it and hope it'll be a late pick. Canucks for Cup 2021-22

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of people are going to be surprised and disappointed at the fall Savoie takes this year. Nothing like a Raty, and I do think Savoie has NHL superstar potential, but he's a January 1st birthday, only 5'10, and has some issues with consistency and immature play. I don't dislike the player, but there are a handful of players I personally like better at this point - namely Lambert, Nazar, Miroshnichenko, Luneau and Yurov.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of people are going to be surprised and disappointed at the fall Savoie takes this year. Nothing like a Raty, and I do think Savoie has NHL superstar potential, but he's a January 1st birthday, only 5'10, and has some issues with consistency and immature play. I don't dislike the player, but there are a handful of players I personally like better at this point - namely Lambert, Nazar, Miroshnichenko, Luneau and Yurov.

Oh okay. I guess I’ll be looking forward on how kids like Lambert, Michkov and the others you mentioned perform. Maybe Savoie will be like this year’s Lysell. Lysell was someone I was really keen on this past draft and he drops all the way into the Bruins’ lap at 21 I believe. He was projected to be selected in the top 15 at least. Luneau will definitely be someone to keep an eye on. He would be a big boost to our blue line in the future

On 8/11/2021 at 2:56 PM, flickyoursedin said:

I think this team is in a position now that they might trade their 1rst round picks at the trade deadline to add for a playoff run. I love the draft so hopefully we can have the playoff success while keeping our 1rst round picks! Jim’s been busy adding to the team hopefully it’s enough!

Like trading 1st round pick for an injury prone goalie? :lol: