The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

11 hours ago, hammertime said:

Hundo P! 6'7 rhd who can skate don't grow on trees. 

No sir they don't.

They are trees.

Here's my want list from this year.  You'll see a pattern

1st round: #15 Cutter Gauthier https://thehockeywriters.com/cutter-gauthier-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

2nd round: if possible Maverick Lamoureux https://thehockeywriters.com/maveric-lamoureux-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

3rd round: Noah Warren: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/574586/noah-warren

4th round: Liam Arnsby https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/529236/liam-arnsby

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's Pronman's 13-20 for those interested:

13. New York Islanders: Conor Geekie, C, Winnipeg-WHL

Where Geekie ends up will be one of the more interesting things to follow in this draft. Some scouts believe he should be a top 8 lock, whereas others feel he’s more of a teens pick. As a 6-foot-3 center with legit offense, I don’t expect he’ll last that long even if he didn’t have the huge season some expected on a loaded Winnipeg ICE club. The Islanders have good center depth, but Geekie is the best player available here. If Lekkerimaki got to 13 I could see him as a great fit for the Islanders too.

14. Winnipeg Jets: Frank Nazar, C, USNTDP-USHL

Winnipeg has drafted two listed centers in the first round in Chaz Lucius and Cole Perfetti who are probably wings in the NHL, but Nazar has a chance to stick down the middle due to his great speed and compete despite his size. He’s got a bit of variance in opinions around the industry, with some in the NHL seeing him as a top ten pick and others more as a 15-25 pick.

15. Vancouver Canucks: Brad Lambert, RW, Pelicans-Liiga

Where Lambert ends up will be one of more interesting parts of draft weekend. Some scouts are still huge believers in the player and some don’t want to get close to him. He’s got a ton of talent and Vancouver doesn’t have anyone coming up who can break open a shift like Lambert can so I can see them being a candidate for him.

16. Buffalo Sabres: Danila Yurov, RW, Magnitogorsk-KHL

Where Yurov goes will be one of the most debated parts of the leadup to the draft. He’s an agreed top 10 player on talent in the league, but as a Russian player playing in Russia, whether he can secure a visa is a concern for league personnel. As a team with multiple firsts, Buffalo makes sense to take a chance with this pick, whether it’s on Yurov or a player like Lambert. If not here I can see Yurov going somewhere in the second half of the first round.

17. Nashville Predators: Denton Mateychuk, LHD, Moose Jaw-WHL

Nashville hasn’t used a top two round pick on a defenseman since 2016 so I can certainly see them looking to upgrade their system there. Mateychuk and Owen Pickering both make a lot of sense around this range.

18. Dallas Stars: Rutger McGroarty, LW, USNTDP-USHL

The Dallas farm system is in a good spot right now with no glaring need. I could see a defenseman here like Pickering or Mateychuk, but McGroarty would also make a lot of sense as a highly skilled, competitive goal-scorer to finish off the plays Wyatt Johnston and Mavrik Bourque will make.

19. Los Angeles Kings: Jiri Kulich, LW, Karlovy Vary-Czechia

The Kings have a deep prospect pool and no obvious positional need due to that. Kulich is arguably the best player available at 19 per some scouts, especially following his outstanding U18 Worlds where he was named MVP of the tournament.

20. Washington Capitals: Lian Bichsel, LHD, Leksands-SHL

Bichsel is a name trending with a lot of NHL teams, and a top 20 pick is absolutely in the cards for a 6-foot-5 defenseman who skates well enough and provides physicality with first pass offense. I could see him or Pickering make sense at the Capitals spot.

Source: https://theathletic.com/3310759/2022/05/17/nhl-mock-draft-2022/

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, JimothyTimothy said:

Exactly... can't let the size blind you. He's got alot of tools but can't seem to put them together, and has some strong deficiencies. No chance do I take him at 15. 

See the below

19 hours ago, Warhippy said:

To be clear I'm absolutely not advocating taking him with our first, I'd take Bichsel hands down.

But if we had a very late 1st or early 2nd added he'd be on my list

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Here's Pronman's 13-20 for those interested:

Source: https://theathletic.com/3310759/2022/05/17/nhl-mock-draft-2022/

I wonder if Brad Lambert slips past 13 given that they just promoted his uncle as their head coach. Nepotism aside, they got Raty in the 2nd round (another highly touted player that fell), so they might not be as concerned with the risk either.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

I wonder if Brad Lambert slips past 13 given that they just promoted his uncle as their head coach. Nepotism aside, they got Raty in the 2nd round (another highly touted player that fell), so they might not be as concerned with the risk either.

I could see Lambert and Barzal having chemistry in the future as well as they both have great wheels and skill.

• Cheers 1

I don't really care who we pick, as long as we're told where they sit in our internal rankings. One of the only things that Benning was transparent about was where our drafted guys were on our boards. Iirc, Hughes was third (drafted 7th), Petey was top three (drafted 5th), and podkolzin was eight (drafted 10th). I'm a sucker for this sort of thing, and hearing we effectively moved up a few spots on our board always makes me giddy. 

The way our front office talks about wanting a superstar, I can imagine them being really high on Lambert. If Allvin and co. think he's a top ten caliber player at fifteen? Then I'm totally on board.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

I don't really care who we pick, as long as we're told where they sit in our internal rankings. One of the only things that Benning was transparent about was where our drafted guys were on our boards. Iirc, Hughes was third (drafted 7th), Petey was top three (drafted 5th), and podkolzin was eight (drafted 10th). I'm a sucker for this sort of thing, and hearing we effectively moved up a few spots on our board always makes me giddy. 

The way our front office talks about wanting a superstar, I can imagine them being really high on Lambert. If Allvin and co. think he's a top ten caliber player at fifteen? Then I'm totally on board.

Lets not forget Juolevi and Virtanen and trading away two 1st round pick ( which means we currently have nothing in the pipeline, Brilliant :)

Edited by Fred65

5 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Lets not forget Juolevi and Virtanen and trading away two 1st round pick ( which means we currently have nothing in the pipeline, Brilliant :)

Fred, you cannot recognize or acknowledge the good parts of the equation either.  

everyone makes mistakes and or learns from them.  

JB made a mistake in his first draft pick 2 weeks in the role and using the Canucks internal scouting metrics.  His first drafted forward and his first use of first Rounder on a D man failed.  

after that, what is a big issue at all with his drafting and his successes at the table will be the stuff of legend once Rutherford and Alvin put all the finishing touches.  

the metrics and scouting changed,  the results were evident and had the first pick in the first draft severely injured the first pick from the second draft, then Brock would be a better player now.  

JB made errors, but his drafting was the best in the clubs history, full stop.  

The assets in place on most depleted NHL I could possibly recall, worse than Zona in many ways, when MGB and Torts left the place.  With virtually no prospects, good picks and or assists on the NHL roster save Bo.  

Lack was the starter… 

So let’s look at the crater that was, realize that we had the worst possible outlook and then see that it was not all bad.  

he has had more success and or just as much in the playoffs than T.O, Edmonton and or Calgary will have at the end of this round by default and the team I think will win is using all his players to make it happen.  

JB needed a solid wing man, Green was it and then his first picked player fully self destructed and also got the team Covid… 

that hang over and the issue that JV was kept over Tiffoli for near money and then Hamonic for Tanev.. that extra 3 mil, that the Florida Assistant GM cap penalty.  

so many compounding errors, that was JB’s issue because he got sentimental about a player or a blind spot.  

but that doesn’t make his entire body of work a tire fire.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/15/2022 at 9:46 AM, HighOnHockey said:

The thing I find so funny about Kasper is like you say, in interviews he seems like such a professional, mature, responsible mamma's boy. But then on the ice he's such a nasty son of a bitch.

He's grown on me the last little bit, like his game a lot.  For me  any of the 3 Swedes that play on the same SHL (Desjardins) team are guys I would be happy to draft, we seem to have great results drafting out of Sweden.

But for me given the recent positive news on his health and the fact he's met with a few teams while he was getting treatment in Germany, if Miroshnichenko is still available he's my pick.

The guy was trending ad a top 5 pick and anyone picked at 15 is likely 12-30 months away and tho there are some good prospects none have the ceiling he does.

I'm curious as to how his mandatory KHL time for Russians that stay and go up through the MHl-VHL-KHL will work now that the NHL had severed ties with the K? Maybe he stays in Germany after his treatment and plays in the DEL at some point next season?

The Nucks are one of the teams in a good situation to take a swing like this, team is looking to win now so waiting a year or two actually melds well and at 15th it's well worth the risk and could very well be similar to Podz at 10th but Miroshnichenko arguably has a higher offensive ceiling. 

I will add, had JB treated Zack Kassian like he treated JV and Kassian got support here instead of Edmonton, we would be a harder and better team, and Petey would have a fearsome winger.

That’s what blond spots do, well have them and JB reduced his management team which also reduced his full vision of the organization, a fatal flaw and every Management team and or group has flaws… 

Chicago has its own flaws, and they won cups, Boston used the power of its owners position in the NHL to influence as much of the outcome as possible, something we all witnessed in the SCF… 

but there are some wanting Q from that very club, one that has a horrible flaw, and not Bruce, because they only want to win…

The need for a solid Center is as almost as much as the need for a quality RHD.  

So if Geekie could be a player who has a correctable skating or coach able to the NHL level with his projected size and reach with his skill, then he would be impossible to pass on, same with Kaspar… er…?  Unless one of the D men come into reach even Kevin K as a LHD, th future asset and or possible ability to have Hughes move to the right, giving him an excellent ability to cross ice to a LHD with a cannon or better shot and cross ice to Miller and or down to Petey in a PP situation while shooting from his off wing, well that’s also enticing.  

I want to acquire a second, by moving Pearson, as to be honest, there is one player in the forward group that plays the way I want most to play. In terms of energy, that is Garland, who is a must keep for the money. 

For the money and the need to increase depth in the back end or anywhere else, if a second could be acquired via trade where a core asset is not given up and or the cap doesn’t increase, then I am all for it.  

I don’t think the club and Brock are done, and I think that he stays and who is taking Dickinson at the moment.  

What else can we ship out to get a second, unless the club as a forward plan to next draft to flip assests and or sign a RFA to a offer sheet.  Which has been discussed 

I forgot to add, there are a number of RHD in the second round worth the pick, so the BPA should be measured with team needs.  We don’t need wingers atm, we don’t need golalies in the first, so it’s centres or D men with RHD as the unicorn.

6 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

I will add, had JB treated Zack Kassian like he treated JV and Kassian got support here instead of Edmonton, we would be a harder and better team, and Petey would have a fearsome winger.

That’s what blond spots do, well have them and JB reduced his management team which also reduced his full vision of the organization, a fatal flaw and every Management team and or group has flaws… 

Chicago has its own flaws, and they won cups, Boston used the power of its owners position in the NHL to influence as much of the outcome as possible, something we all witnessed in the SCF… 

but there are some wanting Q from that very club, one that has a horrible flaw, and not Bruce, because they only want to win…

Kassian has been a big disappointment and his game had declined to the point he's no longer capable of handling any type of top six minutes.

I'm all for getting tougher but hopefully our GM targets guys with skill that while being big and strong are also skilled. Like Crawse, or a gut like Kunin who would be an upgrade to our bottom six.

When I woke up I heard JR's voice in my head announce VAN 1st pick.  All I got was: "...from the Mississauga Steelheads...", but didn't catch the player. So, I checked the roster and it could be either (C) Luca Del Bel Belluz or (C) Owen Beck. Can't see it though, not at #15. 

Looking at the possible RDs:

Casey

Salomonsson

Luneau

Chesley

Havelid

Nelson

Although, judging a picture by its cover, Ty Nelson's hair can't be on this team

Ty Nelson hockey player photo

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

When I woke up I heard JR's voice in my head announce VAN 1st pick.  All I got was: "...from the Mississauga Steelheads...", but didn't catch the player. So, I checked the roster and it could be either (C) Luca Del Bel Belluz or (C) Owen Beck. Can't see it though, not at #15. 

Looking at the possible RDs:

Casey

Salomonsson

Luneau

Chesley

Havelid

Nelson

Although, judging a picture by its cover, Ty Nelson's hair can't be on this team

Ty Nelson hockey player photo

It’s gonna be mayyyy

• Haha 2