The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

Hopefully one of the top 13 drops to us. We may be in a best of the rest situation. 

1 4.png Juraj Slafkovský (LW) TPS 2.png Liiga 31 5 5 10 33
2 3.png Shane Wright (C) Kingston Frontenacs 3.png OHL 63 32 62 94 22
3 6.png Logan Cooley (C) U.S. National U18 Team 6.png USDP 51 27 48 75 67
4 4.png Simon Nemec (D) HK Nitra 4.png Slovakia 39 1 25 26 20
5 6.png Cutter Gauthier (C/LW) U.S. National U18 Team 6.png USDP 54 34 31 65 49
6 8.png David Jiricek (D) HC Plzen 8.png Czechia 29 5 6 11 49
7 2.png Joakim Kemell (RW) JYP 2.png Liiga 39 15 8 23 2
8 1.png Jonathan Lekkerimäki (RW) Djurgårdens IF 1.png SHL 26 7 2 9 0
9 3.png Matthew Savoie (C) Winnipeg Ice 3.png WHL 65 35 55 90 32
10 12.png Marco Kasper (C) Rögle BK 1.png SHL 46 7 4 11 17

11 3.png Kevin Korchinski (D) Seattle Thunderbirds 3.png WHL 67 4 61 65 40
12 9.png Pavel Mintyukov (D) Saginaw Spirit 3.png OHL 67 17 45 62 28
13 3.png Conor Geekie (C) Winnipeg Ice 3.png WHL 63 24 46 70 49

21 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It was 23rd overall + a 5th rounder for 15th 

For me the targets w/ this move would be Miroshnichenko & Ohgren. I'd even be fine taking either at 15 for that matter, but if you could add a 2nd & take whichever one you could get at 23 that's intriguing. Both are ranked in that range on most lists I've seen.

If Mintyukov is still available at #15 then maybe not, otherwise sure.

Wow, and I thought I was a big Miro guy.

Tarasenko/Kuznetsov/Kucherov/Kaprizov type vibes for sure.

He reminds me of Peter Bondra more than anything, except Miro is a better playmaker. Arguably the best passing vision in the entire draft.

To be clear, I'm not saying I would take him this high. I do think he's worth consideration at 15 though, depending who else is there.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

He reminds me of Peter Bondra more than anything, except Miro is a better playmaker. Arguably the best passing vision in the entire draft.

To be clear, I'm not saying I would take him this high. I do think he's worth consideration at 15 though, depending who else is there.

I'm glad you say that because in what Ive watched I thought he had great vision too, yet I see some people knock him for hockey sense or only being a high end shooter (I brought up Cam making the JV comp b4).

I've been thinking maybe Pastrnak-like as far as a modern comp.

Regardless it does feel like a potential top 3-5 player that will be within the Canucks grasp one way or another. If they took him at 15 Id be excited for the upside more than concerned about the other stuff.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Yea, I've been saying that for a while as well. Especially as there's a big grouping of RHD who have been floating around the late 1st, early 2nd: Ty Nelson, Sam Rinzel, Tristan Luneau, Ryan Chesley, Seamus Casey, Elias Salomonsson and now longer shot Noah Warren.

Saying that...if Marco Kasper or Danila Yurov are available at 15th, gonna be hard to pass that up.

Looking at HoH final list... if Bischel is available at 31 then we could have 2 stabs at a defender... One of your aforementioned and Bischel would do me just fine for a haul...

Think its the first time ever, I have wanted to trade down....

I do agree about Yorov and Miro though... either one is enticing. After seeing how well Potz have done, I wouldn't mind another stab at it.... especially after the latest Russian signed up. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Who made this? We so badly need to trade down if true. Lets get 3 of Bichsel, Nyman, Gaucher, Chesley,  grab a few 3rd/4ths Reid Schaefer, Owen Beck, Luneau, Salomonson, Rinzel, Lutz,  Dolzhenkov, Warren. Boom Bob Mackenzies your uncle. 

The 2nd and 3rd rounds are where all the guys I want are. This chart thingy is about as accurate as those mock draft thingies you can play online that have Reid Schaefer still on the board in the 6th round.

Not holding a 2nd round draft pick this year really hurts because Canucks would have been able to draft a great prospect in the 2nd round. Preferably they would have targeted a RHD or Julian Lutz. Lutz was widely regarded as  a 1st rounder but unfortunately got injured and was limited to only 14 games in Germany's top league, the DEL. Especially his two goals against Canada during the U18 worlds put him in the spotlight again.

the following is a quote from Jason Bukala from Sportsnet on May 4, 2022:

He moves well and brings size (6-foot-2, 179 pounds) and skill to the equation. On the power play he showed he can one time pucks and score goals. This is a player who might be flying under the radar a bit and I believe showed enough to come under consideration in the second round of the draft. Big bodies who extend plays, battle, and have skill are a wanted commodity.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I cannot wait to get home after work, turn the lights down low, grab a cold beer and put this on.  

Draft table and scouting meetings is my favourite part of the behind the scenes videos that we get! 

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

To hear Todd Harvey say it’s a completely different approach then what Benning wanted is exciting and scary at the same time. It seems the main focus is on skating and position going forward. Looks like Allvin is using his whole scouting staff in order to create his list and I just hope they are all on the same page with evaluating talent. 

6 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Alright, figured I'd post my final rankings now. Ignoring the Russia situation, and so it seemed fair to also ignore Miroshnichenko's health situation, and just look at it based on long-term upside:

1. Juraj Slafkovsky

2. Ivan Miroshnichenko

3. Shane Wright

4. Logan Cooley

5. Danila Yurov

6. Simon Nemec

7. Jonathan Lekkerimaki

8. David Jiricek

9. Frank Nazar

10. Liam Ohgren

11. Joakim Kemell

12. Kevin Korchinski

13. Matthew Savoie

14. Conor Geekie

15. Cutter Gauthier

16. Marco Kasper

17. Brad Lambert

18. Calle Odelius

19. Gleb Trikozov

20. Pavel Mintyukov

21. Isaac Howard

22. Owen Pickering

23. Rutger McGroarty

24. Tristan Luneau

25. Denton Mateychuk

26. Noah Ostlund

27. Jiri Kulich

28. Jimmy Snuggerud

29. Filip Mesar

30. Alex Perevalov

31. Lian Bichsel

32. Luca Belluz

Everyones rankings are so different its actually wild.

Not gonna lie as I am dyslexic I dint see Miro on your list at all first time I read it. I was like wow Miro not even in he first round..

But he's at 2!

I was a big time fan of him before he health scare but I dont know anyone that high on him and I am incredibly intrigued but this ranking of him.

If you have shared your reasoning / view on him as 2 in the draft I would love to read that could you link me? Or just share now if you haven't whenever you have time.

Mintyukov at 20 and Mateychuk at 25 seems low to me interested on your reasons for that too.

I just like them higher so thats why I am curious!

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This ^^ was a great video, so excited for this Draft, after missing the 1st Round pick the last two years. That room felt all inclusive and refreshing, open discussion, good debates. I forget how much goes on behind the scenes for them to prepare for the Draft. I'm going to trust in this elite group to make the right player selections and trades. It's a very smart management team. 

• Like 1

Pronman's newest mock (actually has convos with some hockey ops people to form his...who knows):

First Round

1. Montreal Canadiens: Juraj Slafkovsky, LW, TPS (FINLAND)

Trying to pin down what Montreal will do with the No. 1 pick has been a challenge. There are quite a few people in the league who believe this pick will be Shane Wright. However, based on discussions with people in the league over the last few weeks, the winds seem to be blowing in the direction of Slafkovsky — to the point that I think this is the slightly more likely scenario at the No. 1 slot.

2. New Jersey Devils: David Jiricek, RHD, Plzen (CZREP)

If the Habs take Wright, I think for the Devils it’s a simple scenario and they take Slafkovsky. If Slafkovsky goes No. 1, it opens up the possibilities. League sources seem somewhat skeptical they will take Wright, or at least they don’t view this as the likeliest scenario. The most common scenario proposed to me for New Jersey with Slafkovsky going first is the Devils taking one of the top two defensemen in Jiricek or Simon Nemec, or trading the pick. Jiricek is the more common name I’ve heard attached to the Devils between the two defensemen.

3. Arizona Coyotes: Logan Cooley, C, USA U-18 (NTDP)

I’m unsure of what direction Arizona goes in should the draft play out this way. I could see Wright, I could see a defenseman like Nemec, or I could see the Coyotes go in the direction of Cooley. People in the league have given me mixed opinions on whether they think Arizona would go Cooley or Wright in this scenario. There has been the odd mention of Cutter Gauthier to Arizona as well with league sources.

4. Seattle Kraken: Shane Wright, C, Kingston (OHL)

I see you racing to the comments section over Wright getting to No. 4. Should Slafkovsky go first, though, I think it opens up a lot of possibilities in the first few picks. I could see Wright going in any of those first few spots between 1-4, and if he starts to slide, I think it ends at Seattle. If Cooley is available here I would also view that as a strong possibility. If the draft goes more chalk, then the two top defensemen and Gauthier would likely be the considerations here.

5. Philadelphia Flyers: Cutter Gauthier, LW, USA U-18 (NTDP)

I think Philly’s pick will most likely come down to Gauthier or either or the two defensemen in Jiricek and Nemec. I’ve been hearing Gauthier’s name more than the others as we get closer to the draft.

6. Columbus Blue Jackets: Simon Nemec, RHD, Nitra (SLOVAKIA)

There’s been a somewhat consensus group of six forming as we approach the draft between Wright, Slafkovsky, Cooley, Nemec and Gauthier. I presume Columbus will take whichever of the six are left, but I wouldn’t put it past this group to deviate from a consensus!

7. Ottawa Senators: Matthew Savoie, C, Winnipeg (WHL)

Pinning down Ottawa at No. 7 has been difficult. The only intel I’ve had on their pick of late has been some buzz linking them to the Winnipeg ICE kids in Savoie and Conor Geekie. Savoie, Joakim Kemell and Marco Kasper make the most sense in terms of the types of players they value. I did have one source recently tell me to not rule out Jonathan Lekkerimaki here because “someone has to score their goals.”

8. Detroit Red Wings: Marco Kasper, C, Rogle (SWEDEN)

It feels like everyone presumes Detroit is going to take Kasper, which probably means it’s not going to happen! The pick makes so much sense in terms of talent, positional and stylistic fit though. If it’s not Kasper I could see Kemell or Savoie here.

9. Buffalo Sabres: Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW, Djurgarden (SWEDEN)

Not surprisingly I think Buffalo will be looking to add skill and offense at their pick. The names I’ve heard here the most often are Savoie, Kemell, Kasper and Lekkerimaki.

10. Anaheim Ducks: Kevin Korchinski, LHD, Seattle (WHL)

I don’t have great information on Anaheim’s preferences at 10, but I know a lot of Ducks personnel were spotted at those final Seattle WHL games. My bet is a defenseman is the pick at 10, whether it’s Korchinski or Pavel Mintyukov.

11. San Jose Sharks: Joakim Kemell, RW, Jyp (FINLAND)

I presumed one of the three smaller forwards in Savoie, Lekkerimaki and Kemell would slide out of the top ten, and possibly even further than this pick. I had initially thought that was going to be Savoie but my latest information seems to indicate an industry cooling on Kemell. He would be an instant fit into what the Sharks value. I could see Korchinski or Geekie here as well.

12. Columbus Blue Jackets: Conor Geekie, C, Winnipeg (WHL)

If Columbus gets Jiricek or Nemec at No. 6 it opens up the possibilities here to several options such as if one of those top wingers fall, or a top center option like Geekie. If they get Gauthier with the sixth pick, I feel this one almost has to be a defenseman like Mintyukov or Korchinski.

13. New York Islanders: Nathan Gaucher, C, Quebec (QMJHL)

One name I’ve heard trending with several teams as we get closer to the draft is Gaucher as a big two-way center who enough teams believe has legit offense to go high in the draft.

14. Winnipeg Jets: Pavel Mintyukov, LHD, Saginaw (OHL)

Winnipeg has needs at center and defense so I could see them go in a few directions, like adding pivots such as Geekie, Gaucher, or Frank Nazar or taking a defenseman like Mintyukov.

15. Vancouver Canucks: Noah Ostlund, C, Djurgarden Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)

As we’ve gotten closer to the draft, one name I’ve consistently heard league sources say I need to move much higher up in my mocks is Ostlund, who many in the league feel will be a top 20 pick if not higher. He would add a lot of speed, skill and playmaking to the Canucks, who need depth at center.

16. Buffalo Sabres: Danila Yurov, RW, Magnitogorsk (RUSSIA)

It feels like a lot of people in and outside the league are predicting Yurov with the Sabres pick. I do think it’s a strong possibility but if they went in a different direction, I could see Ostlund here too.

17. Nashville Predators: Lian Bichsel, LHD, Leksand (SWEDEN)

There is a pressing need for defense in the Preds system and the draft will likely line up where several good defensemen make sense in terms of talent such as Bichsel, Ryan Chesley, Denton Mateychuk or Owen Pickering.

18. Dallas Stars: Owen Pickering, LHD, Swift Current (WHL)

Dallas has system needs at center and defense so I could see a lot of options here such as Bichsel, Pickering, Mateychuk or Nazar.

19. Minnesota Wild: Frank Nazar, C, USA U-18 (NTDP)

The Wild have drafted a few players that look like Nazar in Marco Rossi and Marat Khusnutdinov, but they clearly value skating and compete in their draft picks recently and Nazar has that in bunches. I could see Jiri Kulich here as well.

20. Washington Capitals: Jiri Kulich, C, Karlovy Vary (CZREP)

Kulich has been a player on the rise this season and many scouts think he’s going to go in the top 20. He would add skill, scoring and two-way ability that the Capitals don’t have a ton of in their system. I could see Pickering at 20 as well.

21. Pittsburgh Penguins: Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW, Omsk Krylia (RUSSIA-2)

Once we get to around 20 or so is when I expect teams are going to start taking hard looks at Miroshnichenko. There’s an alleyway of teams like Washington, Pittsburgh, St. Louis and Minnesota that could all be looking at a guy who when healthy was a top 5 talent and could help extend their contending windows.

22. Anaheim Ducks: Jimmy Snuggerud, RW, USA U-18 (NTDP)

Presuming they get a defenseman at No. 10 I could see the Ducks go in several directions at 22 given how many good young players they have in the organization. Lambert makes sense here, as does another defenseman like Denton Mateychuk or Ryan Chesley. Snuggerud adds a much needed goal-scorer to the system who also provides size and compete.

23. St. Louis Blues: Ryan Chesley, RHD, USA U-18 (NTDP)

Centers and defensemen are a priority for the Blues so I could see Chesley or Mateychuk at this spot for sure and Nazar as a possibility if he gets to 23.

24. Minnesota Wild: Rutger McGroarty, RW, USA U-18 (NTDP)

It’s tough to find out where McGroarty lands. Some scouts love him — they see elite compete together with legit skill and scoring touch and think he could be a top 15 pick — and some think his skating will keep him out of the NHL. On equilibrium, he probably ends in the 20s and I see Minnesota as a team that makes sense for him given how much they value compete in their picks.

25. Toronto Maple Leafs: Denton Mateychuk, LHD, Moose Jaw (WHL)

Toronto typically values skill and hockey sense in their picks so Isaac Howard, Liam Ohgren and Mateychuk all make sense here.

26. Montreal Canadiens: Liam Ohgren, LW, Djurgarden Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)

Ohgren could well be gone by 26, but I had heard the Habs were high on him a while back. He was highly productive in Sweden’s junior league.

27. Arizona Coyotes: Reid Schaefer, LW, Seattle (WHL)

Schaefer is a name on the rise after his WHL playoffs as a big bruising winger who can score. I could see him go even higher than this spot. People around the league think the Coyotes want to get bigger and tougher in this draft, and Schaefer would accomplish that in bunches.

28. Buffalo Sabres: Filip Bystedt, C, Linkoping Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)

It’s hard to imagine Buffalo walking away from their three first round picks without any natural centers or a defensemen. They pick Bystedt in this mock; he is a tall, fast center with some offensive touch.

29. Edmonton Oilers: Brad Lambert, C, Pelicans (FINLAND)

As we get closer to draft day, I’m not hearing a lot of scouts put up their hands to say, “I’d be happy to draft Lambert,” so I expect a slide from where most expect him to go. He may go before 29, but I struggled to find a landing spot for him based on what I know of teams picking value in players. Once you get to the mid 20s though I feel like a team such as Edmonton here will roll the dice on the high-end skating Lambert brings.

30. Winnipeg Jets: Isaac Howard, LW, USA U-18 (NTDP)

I sense some reservations around the league on Howard as we get closer to draft day, but I think he’ll still be a late first/early second on draft day. I could see Luca Del Bel Belluz here too if Winnipeg wants another center.

31. Tampa Bay Lightning: Luca Del Bel Belluz, C, Mississauga (OHL)

Tampa hasn’t picked in the first much recently, so I could see them go in a different direction such as Del Bel Belluz or Tristan Luneau if they want a defenseman.

32. Arizona Coyotes: Sam Rinzel, RHD, Chaska (HIGH-MN)

Arizona adds much needed defense depth into their system with their final first round pick in the tall, mobile Rinzel. I could see Maveric Lamoureux or Luneau as the pick here too.

Second Round

1. Montreal: Tristan Luneau, RHD, Gatineau (QMJHL)

1. https://theathletic.com/3391555/2022/06/30/nhl-mock-draft-seven-rounds/

Canucks trading miller 1-1 for the 2nd overall

Gonna trade the 2nd overall to Columbus for picks 6, 12 and their 2nd round pick #44

Gonna trade pick 15 to Arizona for pick 27 or 32 and pick 34

Canucks gonna draft 6th, 12th, 27th or32nd and 34th 

BAYUM

Assetz mangesmentz

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Canucks trading miller 1-1 for the 2nd overall

Gonna trade the 2nd overall to Columbus for picks 6, 12 and their 2nd round pick #44

Gonna trade pick 15 to Arizona for pick 27 or 32 and pick 34

Canucks gonna draft 6th, 12th, 27th or32nd and 34th 

BAYUM

Assetz mangesmentz

Great move back scenario. As long as they get David Jiricek, the rest is gravy. B)

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Great move back scenario. As long as they get David Jiricek, the rest is gravy. B)

The craziest thing is...it's actually kind of feasible except I think you'd have to add to the CBJ aspect to get their next 3 picks.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I cannot wait to get home after work, turn the lights down low, grab a cold beer and put this on.  

Draft table and scouting meetings is my favourite part of the behind the scenes videos that we get! 

Haha know ur a hockey nerd when… but ditto that sounds great ahha I can’t wait to watch it too!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Pronman's newest mock (actually has convos with some hockey ops people to form his...who knows):

1. https://theathletic.com/3391555/2022/06/30/nhl-mock-draft-seven-rounds/

Its an interesting mock, but somehow I believe it. There's alot of smoke.

Bobby Mac had Slafkovsky at #1 (and I know the methodology of his list isn't an opinion of where they go, but I don't think Slaf would be #1 if wasn't a chance of him going 1).

And even more curiously, today Jeff Marek was commenting on the draft & speculating about 'if Wright fell to Philly at #5', the defensemen (Nemec/Jiricek) 'making things interesting', and how lucky Ottawa would be if Kasper "fell" to 7. 

Between Pronman, B-Mac, & Jeff, I don't think this is all coincidence. We might be in for some surprises.

49:30

https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/jeff-marek-show/thats-a-wrap/

13 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Pronman makes about 50 lists during the year and each one leaves me confused. 

:lol:

That's fair. His round wasn't bad last year and he seems OK connected, but I haven't seen anyone crunch #s on who has the most accurate mocks.