The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trading down at the 2022 draft

To Buffalo: 15oa pick, Mikey Dipietro's rights

To Vancouver: Florida's 1st round pick 2022, Buffalo's 41oa pick, Calgary's 6th round pick, Buffalo 7th round pick 2023

Why?

Buffalo had a ton of picks last year and will this and next. They can afford to concentrate/move some of their picks for a stronger guarantee of a bluechip prospect. They have 0 goalies signed next year, so Dipietro gives them some organizational security. Dipietro is looking less likely to be a NHL goalie and will likely be passed by Silovs in training camp, so Canucks can afford to move him and sign a more veteran fringe goalie to compete with Martin at training camp (Loui Domingue? Corey Schneider?), but likely split duties with Silovs in Abbotsford for the year. Take Mikey or leave Mikey for the trade, his value is not terribly high right now but may fill a minor org. need for Buffalo

Vancouver did not have many picks last year and that continues to some degree for the next two years. Trading down gives Allvin a little more flexibility in drafting. A RHD, which is a major org need, is not going to be the BPA at 15th overall. In fact, if we go with Pronman's rankings no RHD will be chosen between Nemec/Jiricik at 5th/6th overall and then 30th (Button has no RHD from 8th-23rd). There's a very good chance that if the Canucks make this trade they could select two of: Ty Nelson, Sam Rinzel, Tristan Luneau, Ryan Chesley, Seamus Casey & Elias Salomonsson with Florida's 1st and Buffalo's 2nd. Essentially this could be seen as Brad Lambert for Tristan Luneau & Elias Salomonsson if we go by consensus-ish recent mock drafts. Take or leave the 7th round pick from the trade, but Canucks moved their 7th last year and it kind of evens out the Dipietro value a little better IMO.

Edited by Teemu Selänne
  • Like 1

That's too far a drop for me tbh, though I don't mind the idea of trading down 

Florida's pick will be a low 1st and a 2nd isn't enough to make me budge from 15

I don't put much value on 6th and 7th picks 

If Mikey's rights yields a 6th or 7th, I'd rather just hold on to him (not that Buffalo would even have him on the main roster if they traded for him).
Other than that (15th for 1st and 2nd) I think it looks good (if there's no RHD in that 15 range).

14 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I like it, it's the type of pick trade this team has to make thanks to dumb and dumber

The cupboards are very bare

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's too far a drop for me tbh, though I don't mind the idea of trading down 

Florida's pick will be a low 1st and a 2nd isn't enough to make me budge from 15

I don't put much value on 6th and 7th picks 

Fair enough. Some years it would be too much of a drop for me too, but this year if Canucks can get two RHD with decent size, zone breakout abilities/good skaters, and bluechip-ish capabilities I don't mind. A lot of the players around 15th are just as risky IMO, like Lambert or Geekie. But there are some players I like there too (Lekkerimaki, Frank Nazar).

7 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

If Mikey's rights yields a 6th or 7th, I'd rather just hold on to him (not that Buffalo would even have him on the main roster if they traded for him).
Other than that (15th for 1st and 2nd) I think it looks good (if there's no RHD in that 15 range).

Fair enough. I'm pretty neutral on the Dipietro addition, sometimes minor things like that get thrown into a trade. They don't have any waiver ineligible goalies signed for their AHL team yet either.

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd prefer to stay the course and keep our pick because I figure we'll be moving out someone significant and I see us getting a higher pick that way. Just spitballing of course, but that's what I expect. 

Yea - this is only a small part of the picture. If a 1st or the ability to move up presents itself via trade, and the Canucks could have a shot at Jiricek, that would change things. I see this as a draft day trade, cuz if Lekkerimaki or Nazar are still on the board at 15th, I doubt PA would move the pick.

17 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I like it, it's the type of pick trade this team has to make thanks to dumb and dumber

Why do they have to make a trade like this ? The only trade you have to make is one that has guaranteed benefits. More picks isn't always better than one.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BlastPast said:

Why do they have to make a trade like this ? The only trade you have to make is one that has guaranteed benefits. More picks isn't always better than one.

Because you need things in the system, if you throw a dart at 15 balloons, there's a chance one hits. If you throw a dart at 3 balloons, odds aren't looking that good. 

If you're not in the top two tiers of the draft, you trust your scouts and go with them. 

If the Canucks were loaded with up and coming prospects, you don't need as many picks and are able to get rid of 2 or 3 to move up and take a guy you really like. If he doesn't pan out you've got 6 or 7 more coming. 

6 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

The cupboards are very bare

Fair enough. Some years it would be too much of a drop for me too, but this year if Canucks can get two RHD with decent size, zone breakout abilities/good skaters, and bluechip-ish capabilities I don't mind. A lot of the players around 15th are just as risky IMO, like Lambert or Geekie. But there are some players I like there too (Lekkerimaki, Frank Nazar).

Fair enough. I'm pretty neutral on the Dipietro addition, sometimes minor things like that get thrown into a trade. They don't have any waiver ineligible goalies signed for their AHL team yet either.

Yea - this is only a small part of the picture. If a 1st or the ability to move up presents itself via trade, and the Canucks could have a shot at Jiricek, that would change things. I see this as a draft day trade, cuz if Lekkerimaki or Nazar are still on the board at 15th, I doubt PA would move the pick.

I like your train of thought though, don't get me wrong. Because you're right, the cupboards are bare.

Hard to say, depends on who's available. But at 15 there's a good chance at getting a second tier player who maybe drops out of the top 10 and slides. There's risk, for sure. One could argue you're not getting a player that's that much better there than in your 20's, but Florida's pick is likely just too low for me to consider. I'd rather swing at 15 than pick up a 2nd, the odds of getting a quality player who can step into the lineup while being cost controlled is better imo. 

I'd be open to moving up for sure, even if the cost is steep. I'd give up our 1st, 2nd, and more if we could break into the top 5. Depending on who's available of course.

I do expect Miller is moved, so we should have assets to play with. 

Rather trade pick 15 to Arizona for picks 30, 31 and 34

If these players are there pick any combination of the 3 of

Ivan Miroschnichenko/Maveric Lamoureux/Tristan Luneau/Lian Bichsel/Ryan Chesley/Liam Ohgren/Owen Pickering

This also leaves us all of our later picks as well.  There WILL be fallers this draft and I've a sneaking suspicion that some of the best players of this draft will be outside of the top 20

Problem is all of those picks combined still have a lesser chance of finding an NHL of any substance, let alone one that will even play 100 games.   If we drop a couple spots the price would be an additional second rounder.   That's about the only thing we should consider...

For perspective all the rounds past the third collectively have a combined chance of around 12.5% of finding ONE player to play 100 NHL games ... the 3rd 12.5% ... There is a statistical reason why Edler was our last home run and Hansen in the 3rd rounds and later - it just doesn't happen often.   Gaudette was actually a big win lol. It's also why mid and higher first rounders are so coveted.  

Edited by IBatch

On 5/18/2022 at 12:00 PM, Coconuts said:

I like your train of thought though, don't get me wrong. Because you're right, the cupboards are bare.

Hard to say, depends on who's available. But at 15 there's a good chance at getting a second tier player who maybe drops out of the top 10 and slides. There's risk, for sure. One could argue you're not getting a player that's that much better there than in your 20's, but Florida's pick is likely just too low for me to consider. I'd rather swing at 15 than pick up a 2nd, the odds of getting a quality player who can step into the lineup while being cost controlled is better imo. 

I'd be open to moving up for sure, even if the cost is steep. I'd give up our 1st, 2nd, and more if we could break into the top 5. Depending on who's available of course.

I do expect Miller is moved, so we should have assets to play with. 

I expect Miller to be moved as well. 

Does not sound promising that he comes back next season with a brand new contract. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd rather just trade DiPietro out for a 6th round pick or whatever we can get.  As you said, Silovs has the higher upside and needs games in the AHL.  We sign a veteran backup to play with Silovs and allow DiPietro a chance elsewhere.  Win win for the team and the player IMO. 

As far as picks, I'd rather keep the 15th overall unless our scouts d0n't like anyone left over. 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'd rather just trade DiPietro out for a 6th round pick or whatever we can get.  As you said, Silovs has the higher upside and needs games in the AHL.  We sign a veteran backup to play with Silovs and allow DiPietro a chance elsewhere.  Win win for the team and the player IMO. 

As far as picks, I'd rather keep the 15th overall unless our scouts d0n't like anyone left over. 

I don't think either goalie is a long term answer. I'd gladly trade both if it meant a draft pick in return. Then I'd look at drafting another goalie prospect.