The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lucas Forsell | LW

I keep forgetting that Forsell exists and then being pleasantly surprised by how well he's doing for a 7th round pick. Maybe one more year in the SHL then bring him over to Abbotsford to see how he adjusts to North America. 

With Forsell and Costmar excelling as 7th round picks with potential NHL upside and Pettersson (D) looking like the potential next Edler (3rd round pick and everything) our Swedish late round scouting feels like a gold mine right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I keep forgetting that Forsell exists and then being pleasantly surprised by how well he's doing for a 7th round pick. Maybe one more year in the SHL then bring him over to Abbotsford to see how he adjusts to North America. 

With Forsell and Costmar excelling as 7th round picks with potential NHL upside and Pettersson (D) looking like the potential next Edler (3rd round pick and everything) our Swedish late round scouting feels like a gold mine right now.

Costmar has had quite a bit of injuries and I don't like his trajectory at the moment...  

Having said that, Lucas Forsell just set up another goal on the power play to pull even at 2-2.  

Great atmosphere at the rink in Karlstad! 

23 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Man could this kid be a top 6 forward?

Say what you want about Benning, that guy could pick out talent in the late part of the draft. 

Look at the size of the draft team. Do you actually think Benning with all of his other responsibilities had anything to do with the selection of a 7th round pick out of Sweden ? He didn’t even have anything with us drafting Jared McCann - he threw the draft team under the bus. Jokes on him though because McCann was actually a good pick.

Gradin. He had found us many of these gems over the years including Forsling who Benning traded away.

Our 7th rounders between McDonough, Kirill and Forsell looking great. Maybe we lost the Kravstov trade hah

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

On 3/17/2023 at 1:39 PM, 73 Percent said:

Man could this kid be a top 6 forward?

Say what you want about Benning, that guy could pick out talent in the late part of the draft. 

Give this a read, well researched and full mainly of facts

Aidan McDonough is the last of the prospects from the Jim Benning/Judd Brackett era to hit the NHL | The Province

2016.  Without a doubt the worst draft of the Benning era. The haphazard preparation process that led into it prompted then president Trevor Linden to empower Brackett in guiding the team’s drafting.

Edited by Fred65
  • Wat 1

30 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

What a biased article.  

Says "Boeser is a solid player", mocks Benning for using a 7th round pick on Abols.  

Then gives all the credit to Brackett in the 2017 draft and calls all of Gadjovich, DiPietro, Lind, and Rathbone as NHL players.  

You can't start doing mental gymnastics to discredit Jim Benning's drafting.  It was good, it was above average.  End of story and leave it at that.  Brisebois, McDonaugh, and Silovs will be three more guys that will end up getting NHL games that were drafted under Benning.  

Forsell, Klimovich, and Woo might develop into it too.  

Even if none of that happens, he's still batting above average in the drafts.  

I'm happy that we kept most of our scouts after Judd left and after Benning got fired.  Todd Harvey called for Elias Pettersson 2.0 to be drafted in the 3rd round and that's looking like an excellent choice so far.  

5 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Let's be honest with ourselves Benning was fired for incompetance. I look forward to seeing  if any club will take a gamble on him, so far no takers

I think as an AGM he could add a lot of value. Just made to many big decisions that were in error.

to be fair I wonder what Aqua was telling him to do. Because this team should’ve rebuilt

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I think as an AGM he could add a lot of value. Just made to many big decisions that were in error.

to be fair I wonder what Aqua was telling him to do. Because this team should’ve rebuilt

Yeah Benning was way in over his head. 

I think the line of thinking was to get in someone who was good at scouting, but they neglected to find someone who could take care of all the other things especially when the decision was made to cheap out and not hire a proper president of hockey operations like 95% of other franchises. 

On 3/18/2023 at 8:35 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Look at the size of the draft team. Do you actually think Benning with all of his other responsibilities had anything to do with the selection of a 7th round pick out of Sweden ? He didn’t even have anything with us drafting Jared McCann - he threw the draft team under the bus. Jokes on him though because McCann was actually a good pick.

Gradin. He had found us many of these gems over the years including Forsling who Benning traded away.

Our 7th rounders between McDonough, Kirill and Forsell looking great. Maybe we lost the Kravstov trade hah

I know you hate Benning but the leader gets the credit. There are also other scouts who would have recommended a different player. Benning chose who he listened to and gets the credit. That is how the world works. When I worked at Disney, I had to sign a contract that stated if I came up with an idea while working there and they used it, it was their idea.

Everything you said is hearsay. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Jimbo was the AGM of the team that beat us in 2011.  Considering who was the GM and what he went on to do in Edmonton, Jim had a major role in putting together that team in Boston.  Jim was better than some say and maybe less affective because of uncontrollable circumstances like bad luck in the lottery and having 1 prospect (Bo Horvat) coming from the previous management group. Make no dought about it, Jim couldn't negotiate his way out of a wet paper bag but when Button and Mackenzie on TSN say he is a good drafter, I would agree with them.  I think what you said about Aquaman yapping in his ear makes a lot of sense.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Jimbo was the AGM of the team that beat us in 2011.  Considering who was the GM and what he went on to do in Edmonton, Jim had a major role in putting together that team in Boston.  Jim was better than some say and maybe less affective because of uncontrollable circumstances like bad luck in the lottery and having 1 prospect (Bo Horvat) coming from the previous management group. Make no dought about it, Jim couldn't negotiate his way out of a wet paper bag but when Button and Mackenzie on TSN say he is a good drafter, I would agree with them.  I think what you said about Aquaman yapping in his ear makes a lot of sense.

He had some enormous misses too. Virtanen over Ehlers/Nylander, Juolevi over Tkachuk. Judd Brackett was the head of scouting so he deserves a lot more of the credit, especially 2017 onward. He was hired by Gillis and promoted/fired by Benning so I guess I’ll give Benning credit for promoting him.

I actually think given Jim’s overall track record people are waaaaaaaay softer on him then they are/were in any GM in recent history. Especially our current management group.

He traded and downgraded more picks than he acquired for essentially one playoff appearance in a year we would have missed if not for the Covid shutdown. 

The amount of truly awful signings. Eriksson, Beagle, Myers, Gagner, Roussel, Sbisa, Poolman, Holtby. Not signing Tanev & Toffoli and trading for Schmidt and re-signing Virtanen.

The OEL trade is likely the worst trade in franchise history. One low key underrated awful trade is the 2nd round pick & McCann for Gudbranson. We had DeBrincat ranked 13th who was available. Gudbranson was horrible then we signed him to a big contract because of sunk cost fallacy.

The fact he gets so much credit for drafting (I’ve read GMs really only are involved with top 10 picks) yet seemed to have zero ability to evaluate talent at the NHL level, giving enormous contracts to replacement level players, makes no sense. 

Allvin & Rutherford have done an exceedingly better job thus far even if the results aren’t there yet. We are in a bind with some bad Benning contracts but I think with the addition if Hronek and a healthy Demko we actually have a good team.

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Allvin & Rutherford have done an exceedingly better job thus far even if the results aren’t there yet. We are in a bind with some bad Benning contracts but I think with the addition if Hronek and a healthy Demko we actually have a good team.

This made me lol irl. 

Oh and by the way, that Demko guy is a Benning pick and 70% of that team are Benning guys. Oh not to mention, Benning made playoffs in his first season with an aged out prospectless roster….. Why couldnt JR and PA do it this year?? They’ve had nearly 2 full seasons and with almost 0 roster changes last season, we barely missed playoffs… this season with a bunch of additions, its been a complete disaster. Riddle me that

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

So all the good picks are on the scouting team. All the missed picks are on Benning. 

Got it. 

We have a 24 year old top 10 center, a 23 year old top 10 center, and a top 10 goalie, but Benning had nothing to do with that. 

::D 

@canucklehead44 don't confuse people giving credit to Benning as somehow praising him to be a great GM. He was here for the rebuild, had a positive effect on our piss-poor drafting before him, and was let go probably one year too late. 

I am happy that we have the three hardest pieces to get in #1 center, #1 dman, and a top flight starting goalie. Detroit has wasted many top 10 picks trying to get those and they finally have one in Seider. It's hard to get the 2nd best player in the entire draft class at number 5 and number 7. Sometimes you miss (Virtanen) and sometimes injuries take a player out (Juolevi).