17 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

New Jersey would have to overpay. 

Hughes 

for

Zacha

Smith

Bahl

Foote

That's a bit much.  Would probably have to throw in a prospect like OJ or Gadj to balance it out.  But that's not a bad haul for QH.

27 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

New Jersey would have to overpay. 

Hughes 

for

Zacha

Smith

Bahl

Foote

Why would they even have any interest in Hughes?

Fitzgerald made sure to insist that drafting Luke Hughes was a hockey decision.  They also just signed Hamilton as their high end offensive D.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, mll said:

Fitzgerald made sure to insist that drafting Luke Hughes was a hockey decision.  They also just signed Hamilton as their high end offensive D.  

Not saying they were. Just hypothetically speaking that they would have to overpay if they were interested. 

Stated the kind of deal I would want to see in this sort of hypothetical scenario. 

I doubt it would ever happen. The deal I presented is a testament of how unrealistic I view it.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, mll said:

marketing mll. Having the 3 Hughs bro's would be a great marketing opportunity, so from a business pov it would be great. He's also a good player.

I don't think they'd trade us the farm for him, but if e.g., he won't sign a new deal after his bridge I could see something happening. 

25 minutes ago, BPA said:

That's a bit much.  Would probably have to throw in a prospect like OJ or Gadj to balance it out.  But that's not a bad haul for QH.

Definitely is an overpayment. But I would only sell high on Hughes. I wouldn’t ever be seeking to move him at this point. Teams would have to come to us with a too good to say no type deal. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

marketing mll. Having the 3 Hughs bro's would be a great marketing opportunity, so from a business pov it would be great. He's also a good player.

I don't think they'd trade us the farm for him, but if e.g., he won't sign a new deal after his bridge I could see something happening. 

They need to be able to win though and it doesn't seem like that construction would work with what they have to give up.  Their roster doesn't look well constructed after making such a trade.  There's also the salary cap and they just gave 9M to Hamilton.  

9 minutes ago, mll said:

They need to be able to win though and it doesn't seem like that construction would work with what they have to give up.  Their roster doesn't look well constructed after making such a trade.  There's also the salary cap and they just gave 9M to Hamilton.  

Subban $9M contract expires after the next season.  So should be fine after that.  Just would be a bit tight for NJ this upcoming season. 

They just can't give too much roster players like you said cuz they in win mode.

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, mll said:

it would have to be a deal with mostly futures back our way. 

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Subban $9M contract expires after the next season.  So should be fine after that.  Just would be a bit tight for NJ this upcoming season. 

They just can't give too much roster players like you said cuz they in win mode.

Several of their key players are still on ELCs or bridge but are going to need raises in the near future.  That 9M of Subban is needed - Jack Hughes, Zacha who looks to have taken a step as a top-6 winger, etc all need new deals in the next couple of seasons as well as Severson who has been their D1 under Ruff.  

NJD wants to start to contend and they probably don't want to risk falling in the situation where they alienate their key players by delaying their ascent to contender status.  If they trade important roster players or near NHL ready prospects - they'll get caught in no man's land.

Having top players doesn't equate having a good team if it's poorly constructed.  Hughes feels overkill when they already have Hamilton.  It doesn't feel like an efficient allocation of cap space. 

On 7/28/2021 at 6:00 PM, Patel Bure said:

To New Jersey:

-Hughes

-Myers

To Canucks

-Graves

-PK Subban

-1st round pick

2021-2022:   

Miller-Pettersson-Garland

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

OEL-Hamonic

Graves-Subban (to become Parayko or Klingberg in 22-23)

Rathbone-Poolman

Demko

Halak

In the 2022 offseason, we replace PK Subban with Colton Parayko.  

I don't think the return's enough.

Uniting the Hughes brothers on one team has to be taken advantage of by JB.

He would, or should, know that the NJ fanbase would lose their minds if Quinn were to join Jack and Luke. 

NJ ticket sales would go through the roof which would further please ownership. 

The possibilities of what they could do together should be too enticing to pass up, if, JB were to open up to the possibility of moving QH.

I love QH's offensive capabilities but cannot stand his lack of defensive skills. I've always said that the primary responsibility of a defender is to defend. 

Take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves but, never let it take away from defensive responsibilities.

QH needs to be on a team that is all offence, depending more on offensive zone puck control then defensive coverage.

NJ seems to be trending this way. Most of their youth is geared to offensive skill, depending on great offensive instincts and outscoring opponents. The perfect scheme for QH.

As for Myers; I don't see him waving to go to NJ. If he's going to be moved, I would think he'd want to go to a contender. Dallas would make sense as it is his home state.

Personally, I'm for keeping him. He turned it up a notch last season. His ppg went up and, given the lack of continuity on our blueline, he had a good season last year.

On a revamped, focused blueline, I can see him flourishing in a Vancouver uni.

So, after all that, personal, analysis I offer,

Quinn Hughes to NJ for 2 first round picks, Kevin Bahl, and Nolan Foote.

This package focuses on youth, which is where JB still needs to be looking. It brings more high end draft picks for JB to exploit and it brings more grit, size, and, soon to be fulltime NHLers. 

Nolan Foote is an aggressive, physical LWer who plays, very much, a power game. At 6'3", he has the size to push his weight around. A solid 3rd line winger for the near future. With our top-six seemingly set, NF offers great depth to the forward core.

Kevin Bahl brings more of the same from the blueline. Massive LD with more room to develop. Is more defensively dependable and may still have more to offer offensively.

At worst, we'd have a third pair defenseman who brings grit and physicality.

They get their prized third brother who will bring offence "O" plenty. United, the brothers will be a force for them for a decade. No more needs to be said here.

This deal also relive JB of the pressure to sign both EP40 and QH and puts capspace in the bank, rather then being pushed to the ceiling.

This would be a mutually beneficial deal for both sides.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

He would, or should, know that the NJ fanbase would lose their minds if Quinn were to join Jack and Luke. 

The possibilities of what they could do together should be too enticing to pass up, if, JB were to open up to the possibility of moving QH.

I love QH's offensive capabilities but cannot stand his lack of defensive skills. I've always said that the primary responsibility of a defender is to defend. 

Take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves but, never let it take away from defensive responsibilities.

QH needs to be on a team that is all offence, depending more on offensive zone puck control then defensive coverage.

NJ seems to be trending this way. Most of their youth is geared to offensive skill, depending on great offensive instincts and outscoring opponents. The perfect scheme for QH.

As for Myers; I don't see him waving to go to NJ. If he's going to be moved, I would think he'd want to go to a contender. Dallas would make sense as it is his home state.

Personally, I'm for keeping him. He turned it up a notch last season. His ppg went up and, given the lack of continuity on our blueline, he had a good season last year.

This package focuses on youth, which is where JB still needs to be looking. It brings more high end draft picks for JB to exploit and it brings more grit, size, and, soon to be fulltime NHLers. 

Nolan Foote is an aggressive, physical LWer who plays, very much, a power game. At 6'3", he has the size to push his weight around. A solid 3rd line winger for the near future. With our top-six seemingly set, NF offers great depth to the forward core.

Kevin Bahl brings more of the same from the blueline. Massive LD with more room to develop. Is more defensively dependable and may still have more to offer offensively.

They get their prized third brother who will bring offence "O" plenty. United, the brothers will be a force for them for a decade. No more needs to be said here.

This deal also relive JB of the pressure to sign both EP40 and QH and puts capspace in the bank, rather then being pushed to the ceiling.

It’s ridiculous to think NJ would have any interest in paying that price.  People so overate the “unite the brothers” concept.  If it’s really that important to them they can wait a few years until Quinn goes UFA and the other two have had time to establish themselves as stars.  (If they even do).  Gutting the organization for a publicity stunt isn’t a good hockey decision 

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Great analysis and great point about Myers.   

Actually, if I was going to entertain a “Quinn Hughes to NJ” type deal, I’d probably go...

To NJ:  Hughes + Myers

To Canucks:  Graves + Severson + 1st

I’m still not 100% sure if I’d move Quinn to NJ (having OEL and Quinn on two separate pairings has the potential to be an extraordinary advantage), I think the addition of Graves would give us that shut down option in terms of one of our dmen going up against opposing top lines.

Still - having QH and OEL on that left side is such a huge advantage in my opinion.  I think I’d rather see the Canucks try and package one of Juolevi or Rathbone one day with Myers, and clearing cap space that way (also depending on how things actually pan out with Rathbone and Juolevi).

• Cheers 1

As much as I do love Quinn and believe he will have a great year, I can't help but salivate at the idea of NJ overpaying for him. 

There are some good asset names being thrown around - though I can't help but figure what Quinn brings is special. And special can win you games sometimes... besides being fun to watch.

• Vintage 1

On 7/25/2021 at 1:50 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hischier, Walsh and 2022 first rounder for Quinn. 

VAN

Hishier

Zacha

1st ‘22

1st ‘23 or Foot

NJD

Hughes

This type of deal significantly shortens the window to the Cup as Vancouver loses the services of a young up and coming 1D by about 10 years.

Ekman-Larsson is able to do the job. But it’s a massive gamble.

Edited by Me_

35 minutes ago, kloubek said:

As much as I do love Quinn and believe he will have a great year, I can't help but salivate at the idea of NJ overpaying for him. 

There are some good asset names being thrown around - though I can't help but figure what Quinn brings is special. And special can win you games sometimes... besides being fun to watch.

…games lies Cup Finals.

What happens when one of the Hughes bros is traded out of New Jersey. Happens all the time. Staal bros played together for a bit but outside the Sedins it’s probably just as likely or more likely then all 3 Hughes bros on one team. 

Anyways have fun with these proposals for the next 5 years