The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021-22 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

27 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

How can the Condors be outshooting the Nucks? Aren't their best players the Black Aces on the Oilers?

It seems like no one from the main Condors group joined the Oilers. It was only Olivier Rodrigue (played only 13 AHL games) and Philip Broberg (who was recalled and then re-assigned back to the Condors and played tonight) that had joined the main club. So, their AHL roster wasn't impacted at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I find it odd that they are playing Woo at wing.

He really needs reps on the blueline. For a while they were using Stephens at left wing this year, not sure why they are giving a 25 year old depth piece more leash on the blueline when Woo a 21 year old prospect, 2nd round pick should be the priority to develop. Even so Gary Agnew the defensive coach also has say, not sure why he has petitioned to play Woo on the blueline more.

Cull has done well to help have AHL call up veterans ready to go for the team, but he hasn't done a great job developing the prospects. Perhaps the only successful development has been Chase Wouters who is AHL property, not even a Canuck prospect. 

I wonder if they eventually shake up that coaching staff.

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I find it odd that they are playing Woo at wing.

He really needs reps on the blueline. For a while they were using Stephens at left wing this year, not sure why they are giving a 25 year old depth piece more leash on the blueline when Woo a 21 year old prospect, 2nd round pick should be the priority to develop. Even so Gary Agnew the defensive coach also has say, not sure why he has petitioned to play Woo on the blueline more.

Cull has done well to help have AHL call up veterans ready to go for the team, but he hasn't done a great job developing the prospects. Perhaps the only successful development has been Chase Wouters who is AHL property, not even a Canuck prospect. 

This is part of the development for Woo if he is to make the nhl.  They see him as a 13F/7D …and to have that versatility would be awesome for coaching.

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Last night Danila  Klimovich was sat and Jet Woo played as a forward. Unless DK is injured, me thinks this coaching is suspect.

Klim is -8 on the season and Woo is +4, plus Jett can drop to the rearguard if any of the regular 6 get injured or have to leave during the game.  Sounds like good player deployment to me, much as I like what Klim brings to the table

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

You can't develop what you don't have. 

Give Cull and his coaching staff some actual NHL pospects and I suspect you'd see them develop just fine.

There really has not been much, if anything, for Utica/Abby to realistically expect to develop into full-time roster players at the NHL level.  The best they've been provided with have been depth/role players if that.  The only guy with an NHL level skill-set really has been Rathbone and I'd say he's developing just fine.  

4 hours ago, Muttley said:

Last night Danila  Klimovich was sat and Jet Woo played as a forward. Unless DK is injured, me thinks this coaching is suspect.

It's Playoff time - you need stout and robust players on your 3rd and 4th lines. Woo can rumble, Klim unproven at that. 

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

You can't develop what you don't have. 

Give Cull and his coaching staff some actual NHL pospects and I suspect you'd see them develop just fine.

There really has not been much, if anything, for Utica/Abby to realistically expect to develop into full-time roster players at the NHL level.  The best they've been provided with have been depth/role players if that.  The only guy with an NHL level skill-set really has been Rathbone and I'd say he's developing just fine.  

Klimovich has NHL level skill. Have to remember he was only 18 to start the season.