The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021-22 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

It's really cool to see the Abbotsford Canucks taking a chance on a guy like Yushiroh Hirano. He's one of two Japanese born and trained players who has been playing in the ECHL the last few years (Yuki Miura is the other one, though he played in the NCAA for Lake Superior and Yuri Terao who followed Hirano's path though he's not in the ECHL this year, although he was their last year). Hirano played in the USHL for a year when he was 20 before playing in the Asia League for two years before climbing the ranks in the ECHL. This'll be his first AHL chance and it seems like he's having a breakout year in the ECHL this season. If he can stick, I can easily see him becoming an Abbotsford Canucks fan favorite.

I don't think there's any NHL upside to him (he's already 26 and just figuring it out at the ECHL level) but older players have crawled their way to the NHL in the past, so never say never.

But yeah, rarely do I care about these kinds of PTO signings but now that the AHL team is close to Vancouver, these kinds of transactions to peak my curiosity.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't know anything about these guys, but I'm assuming that because we have so many down with Covid, we would probably give a PTO to anyone who can lace up their own skates and fog up a mirror at this point... ;)

https://abbotsford.canucks.com/news/canucks-sign-pair-of-forwards-to-pto

Couple big boys, nice job Jim

• Cheers 1

Mikey has really struggled this season. Earlier this season in the 4 games I saw him play, he seemed to revert back to his old tendencies of relying on athleticism rather than sound positioning. 

Seems like a guy who has really been impacted by lack of reps in the past year and a half. 

To be fair Abbys defence tonight has bene bad