The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Salary cap to 82.5m (raise of 1m)

Rate this topic

• 73 Percent changed the title to Salary cap to 82.5m (raise of 1m)
59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seems like a facade, considering the players still owe 1 billion in escrow.  

NHL just received 650 Mil for Seattle expansion, not to mention the 4.7B new US TV deal. Im sure player escrow wont be an issue

I will believe it when I see it. I would think that this is based on a projection that buildings will be full again for the coming season, and I’ll be shocked if they are.

Canada represents a disproportionate percentage of league revenues, and I really don’t think that Canadian buildings will be more than 50% full to start the season, and may never get above that as the season plays out. Especially with Covid numbers spiking again.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, CR7 said:

NHL just received 650 Mil for Seattle expansion, not to mention the 4.7B new US TV deal. Im sure player escrow wont be an issue

650 million from expansion is bot counted towards hockey revenues, unless they changed this in the new CBA.

The 4.7 billion TV deal will definitely help, but it’s a long path.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I will believe it when I see it. I would think that this is based on a projection that buildings will be full again for the coming season, and I’ll be shocked if they are.

Canada represents a disproportionate percentage of league revenues, and I really don’t think that Canadian buildings will be more than 50% full to start the season, and may never get above that as the season plays out. Especially with Covid numbers spiking again.

Alberta will be 100 percent. We are removing all Covid related government mandates August 16th. No longer have to quarantine when you have covid... We'll see how this goes lol 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

1 minute ago, Where's Wellwood said:

That's so dumb. I can sort of understand reducing in door mask mandates and stuff like that, but not needing to quarantine if you actually have COVID? What's the point of testing if people testing positive don't have to behave any differently than people testing negative

Our chief medical officer said with the majority of people vaccinated we now need to learn to live with this in society, we cannot stay locked down forever as it is not good for peoples health for many other reasons... I mean she has a point, I'm just undecided how I feel about it all. I have had Covid, don't wish it on anyone, I have also been fully vaccinated. So am I concerned, IDK, time will tell I guess

16 minutes ago, CR7 said:

Alberta will be 100 percent. We are removing all Covid related government mandates August 16th. No longer have to quarantine when you have covid... We'll see how this goes lol 

Vaccine passports announced in Quebec.  I would expect the same soon announced in other provinces.  So those who choose to get vaccinated will get to go to games.  Those who refuse vaccination will have their opportunity restricted.  Their Premier says as much in his announcement.  This is good for league’s bottom line, because fans will be able to fill the Canadian rinks, which is big money for Hockey Revenues.  

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/legault-announces-quebec-will-move-ahead-with-vaccination-passport

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, CR7 said:

The escrow balance is expected to increase according Seravalli's projections.  The new US TV deal was less than hoped before the pandemic.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, CR7 said:

Our chief medical officer said with the majority of people vaccinated we now need to learn to live with this in society, we cannot stay locked down forever as it is not good for peoples health for many other reasons... I mean she has a point, I'm just undecided how I feel about it all. I have had Covid, don't wish it on anyone, I have also been fully vaccinated. So am I concerned, IDK, time will tell I guess

Not to turn this into a conversation about covid but only 66% of Alberta is double vaccinated at this point. Opening everything up like Alberta has is irresponsible and defies science and reasoned medical advice. We'll see how things play out in Sept/Oct when the season starts.

• Thanks 2

Was looking at the math that they are doing on this. It's "possible" but it's also based on a number of assumptions in a highly unstable situation.

If another variant shows up that is highly resistant to vaccines (very possible considering how long it will take to get the planet to 80% vaccination rate), then their projection will collapse.

39 minutes ago, Amaneey said:

Not to turn this into a conversation about covid but only 66% of Alberta is double vaccinated at this point. Opening everything up like Alberta has is irresponsible and defies science and reasoned medical advice. We'll see how things play out in Sept/Oct when the season starts.

Alberta hasn't had any real restrictions since July 1, we held the stampede, we hosted over 500,000 people and cases did not rise, nor did hospitalizations or deaths. Although I am still on the fence with this approach I did read what our head medical had to say and there are some valid points. Covid will not go away, it is a virus and as such is part of society now. We need to learn to live with it as such

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1