The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Salary cap to 82.5m (raise of 1m)

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, Amaneey said:

Not to turn this into a conversation about covid but only 66% of Alberta is double vaccinated at this point. Opening everything up like Alberta has is irresponsible and defies science and reasoned medical advice. We'll see how things play out in Sept/Oct when the season starts.

Get this I have neighbors who believe that everyone should just get covid (then their body will produce natural anti bodies). They also believe that the media is over hyping the deaths because of Covid. They then go on about how there is a cover up of how dangerous the vaccine are, that vaccinated people are dying at a greater rate than those of covid. 

Super nice people though would do anything to help a neighbor.  

9 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I will believe it when I see it. I would think that this is based on a projection that buildings will be full again for the coming season, and I’ll be shocked if they are.

Canada represents a disproportionate percentage of league revenues, and I really don’t think that Canadian buildings will be more than 50% full to start the season, and may never get above that as the season plays out. Especially with Covid numbers spiking again.

Covid case numbers are irrelevant.

Vaccination numbers are what is important. 

Covid is not just going to go away like magic. Vaccines ensure folks don’t end up in hospital or dead.

Over 97% of all folks in hospitals and 99.5% who have died are unvaccinated.

There is a point where if some folks refuse to get vaccinated then that is there issue. Society needs to move on. People like you need to understand we have to just live with this. Even the illustrious Dr Boney Henry said as such. 

Arenas should be back to 100% capacity and will be in BC as per the restart plan set for September 7th (phase 4).

11 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Report: NHL salary cap to hit $82.5M in 2022-23
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2190762

Thanks for the post, I always expected there was a good chance to raise just because of the way the CBA and MBA are structured. The 4.5 billion in revenue was too easy a mark to hit for the 1M raise in the upper limit. They probably hit 4.5 billion with 70% of the usual attendance numbers of 2019

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, bree2 said:

well then sorry but BC does not want Albertans to visit. they should stay in their own province

why? most of us are vaccinated, actually more so than any other province.

regardless pretty hateful speech, not cool.

Edit* i'm a foot in mouth expert Bree. sorry.

are we seriously not quarantining sick people? most ignorant thing i've heard of.

Guess businesses will police themselves I'm sure they will carry on requiring people that are sick to quarantine, just the unemployed will be allowed to roam the streets spreading the plague. 

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Covid case numbers are irrelevant.

Vaccination numbers are what is important. 

Covid is not just going to go away like magic. Vaccines ensure folks don’t end up in hospital or dead.

Over 97% of all folks in hospitals and 99.5% who have died are unvaccinated.

There is a point where if some folks refuse to get vaccinated then that is there issue. Society needs to move on. People like you need to understand we have to just live with this. Even the illustrious Dr Boney Henry said as such. 

Arenas should be back to 100% capacity and will be in BC as per the restart plan set for September 7th (phase 4).

Agree with your assessment completely. Problem is, getting holdouts to vaccinate to a stage of where we have enough coverage.

Arenas being back to 100% is targeted for September 7th, now we have to see if we can get there.

I'm hoping that they are going to implement something for people who are double vaccinated that will put more pressure on holdouts.

The challenge that we have as a global community, is to get the rest of the planet vaccinated effectively, so that we don't wind up with a variant which the vaccines aren't effective against.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Amaneey said:

Not to turn this into a conversation about covid but only 66% of Alberta is double vaccinated at this point. Opening everything up like Alberta has is irresponsible and defies science and reasoned medical advice. We'll see how things play out in Sept/Oct when the season starts.

70% is the rquired number for herd immunity

Edited by Petey_BOI

38 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

70% is the rquired number for herd immunity

You're right, I've heard anywhere from 70-80% vaccination rate is required to achieve herd immunity.

I do wonder though if the new and more contagious variants will alter the threshold proportion. Guess time and science will tell.

All I know is the covid numbers are down but hospitals and staff haven't recovered. Working short staffed every day brcause staff are burnt out and not picking up extra shifts, even at triple time, which puts more stress on staff working, and the cycle continues.

This was my last off topic post in this thread haha, so ready for an escape. I need a vacation or some hockey.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, bree2 said:

well then sorry but BC does not want Albertans to visit. they should stay in their own province

I was in Cranbrook for a golf tournament last week and there were lots of Albertan's staying at the hotel who were there for work

1 hour ago, Amaneey said:

You're right, I've heard anywhere from 70-80% vaccination rate is required to achieve herd immunity.

I do wonder though if the new and more contagious variants will alter the threshold proportion. Guess time and science will tell.

All I know is the covid numbers are down but hospitals and staff haven't recovered. Working short staffed every day brcause staff are burnt out and not picking up extra shifts, even at triple time, which puts more stress on staff working, and the cycle continues.

This was my last off topic post in this thread haha, so ready for an escape. I need a vacation or some hockey.

Cases are up.  20 new July 5, 342 Aug 4.  It's the same everywhere to a similar degree, even Alberta

As for herd immunity, they don't know with Covid.  Every disease is different.  Measles is 95%, Polio is 80% the numbers we hear for Covid are estimates.  I think they'll only know for sure when we get there.  Source, WHO

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I was in Cranbrook for a golf tournament last week and there were lots of Albertan's staying at the hotel who were there for work

They're everywhere. Most of the real estate prices going up are due to albertans moving here in flocks. 

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Cases are up.  20 new July 5, 342 Aug 4.  It's the same everywhere to a similar degree, even Alberta

As for herd immunity, they don't know with Covid.  Every disease is different.  Measles is 95%, Polio is 80% the numbers we hear for Covid are estimates.  I think they'll only know for sure when we get there.  Source, WHO

Like I’ve said to another poster. Cases are meaningless. Look at the death rate and hospitalizations. They are very low now.  It’s about the vaccination rate.

Covid is not going away. All we can do is make sure we don’t land in a hospital or die. Being otherwise asymptomatic or a little sick is part of life.  As for those that choose not to vaccinate, screw them. Have not a care in the world what happens to them. 

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Provost said:

Yes, they had signalled really tiny raises which seem mostly for optics.

The money owed to players will be well above $1 billion and that is going to take quite a bit of time to pay off.  Anyone expecting material increases in the next 2-4 years is likely to be disappointed.  Any small increases to the cap are just going to increase the money owed by the players and probably some new side deal about escrow.

It would be surprising if all the markets were allowed 100% capacity right from the start of the season, so that makes it possible there will be further overpayments to the players this year to add to what they owe already.  The caps on escrow were bargained into the last agreement and starting next year are lower than the actual calculated escrow number I have been since I can remember.

Players complain about escrow, but they are the ones that have been artificially increasing the cap using their escalator clause for years which is what causes most of the escrow.

The only thing that may save the players is that the salary floor/ceiling assume that teams average right at the midpoint between them.  For the past few years MOST teams have spent more than the midpoint meaning players ended up getting overpaid and paying more escrow.  This year it actually looks like quite a few teams are going to be having lower overall cap spending and working on an internal budget.  Adding to that, any new contracts have been structured to be backloaded and avoid the high escrow this year in favour of the capped out 6% going forward where it means more money will stick to their pockets.  Cap is calculated based on AAV, but player HRR share is based on actual dollars spent.  So a lot of players will get artificially underpaid this year in real dollars... but that pushes liability forward in higher escrow/owed money by the players in future years.

Not sure if I made any sense there in trying to translate it.

Players paid back 20% last year and this year, and will continue to earn 80% of their pay until their debt is paid.   It really depends mostly on how much the league makes over the next 3-5 years when they break even, but that 20% helped some for sure.   Wages are set for the 5 billion ish mark.   50/50 split and all.   If fans aren't allowed in all arenas it's going to be a be tough go again next season.    Players owe the league a couple billion as of right now.  

Edited by IBatch

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Players paid back 20% last year and this year, and will continue to earn 80% of their pay until their debt is paid.   It really depends mostly on how much the league makes over the next 3-5 years when they break even, but that 20% helped some for sure.   Wages are set for the 5 billion ish mark.   50/50 split and all.   If fans aren't allowed in all arenas it's going to be a be tough go again next season.    Players owe the league a couple billion as of right now.  

After this coming year the escrow is capped at 6% as is understand it, not 20%.

They also didn’t pay back anything last year if you mean the debt they owed, they had some escrow withheld, but much less than they actually owed to the owners and were overpaid for a 2nd season.  They probably should have had 50% escrow if it for the agreement to cap it.  The number is estimated to be well over a billion dollars thst the players owe.

They are again going to be overpaid this coming season and add to their debt.  Maybe only by by a couple hundred million, or WAY more if any covid restrictions come back anywhere to limit capacity.

Optimistically it will be 2025-26 before the cap goes up by more than the set $1 million per year.  Almost all the revenue is set with the TV deals so unless attendance spikes beyond pre-pandemic levels, the math is pretty set.

Edited by Provost

14 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Be glad the average Canadian is pro-vaccine, and the majority (even if its just above 50%) are vaccinated. I'm in the South (Arkansas) where the red-necks still figure its a government conspiracy to control them. Hah! Yeah, this COVID is controlling them right into the grave. The second largest metro area in Arkansas is now turning people away from the hospitals; no beds, no ventilators, not enough staff. Memphis (in Tennessee) started this today also. Little Rock (where I am) is having to take the excess from them and we are about 24-48 hours away from capacity. I've got friends in the hospitals, mostly nurses, that are saying the morale is horrible, and don't be surprised for a spike in suicide rates. 

And, oh...CR7...I wouldn't be comparing anyone to Texas. Down here, that state is called Tex-Ass. Stick to being from Alberta...its a lot better!

I am glad and proud to be Canadian, we may have started slow with our vaccines, but for the most part Canadians are crushing Covid by rolling up their sleeves.

It is truly unfortunate all this is going on around the world, my comment wasn't meant in any way to offend, and truly sorry if it came across that way to anyone. It just feels like our government feels the need to make it's own rules and though I don't know a ton about US politics, I do know that may new outlets are comparing our new found approach to that of Texas.

I have heard many of the conspiracies and cannot fathom how people think there is any kind of truth to them...

I am sad to hear the state of your hospitals, like many countries around the world, it really is saddening. Losing a loved one is never easy, I cannot imagine losing one under these circumstances.