The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Salary cap to 82.5m (raise of 1m)

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, bree2 said:

well then sorry but BC does not want Albertans to visit. they should stay in their own province

thats the problem, they always come here to vacation. As one poster says, "makes you wonder"

1 hour ago, CR7 said:

we held the stampede, we hosted over 500,000 people and cases did not rise

https://flipboard.com/article/at-least-129-people-caught-covid-at-calgary-stampede-325-attended-while-possibl/f-681ba5debb%2Fcbc.ca

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-stampede-covid-1.6130156

"

The number of COVID-19 cases linked to the Calgary Stampede continues to grow.

As of Wednesday, 129 people were confirmed to have caught COVID-19 at the 10-day festival which ended on July 18. That's up from 84 cases one week ago. "

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 3

3 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

If I had a million dollars.....

Stay home with parents, work hard for 30 years and maybe...just maybe you will have saved up $1 million!

IMHO, the Cap is too high, I know, entertainment industry, but it blows my mind how much some players make in 1 year...

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Stay home with parents, work hard for 30 years and maybe...just maybe you will have saved up $1 million!

IMHO, the Cap is too high, I know, entertainment industry, but it blows my mind how much some players make in 1 year...

Goes to show the premium that society places on entertainment over almost all else. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I will believe it when I see it. I would think that this is based on a projection that buildings will be full again for the coming season, and I’ll be shocked if they are.

Canada represents a disproportionate percentage of league revenues, and I really don’t think that Canadian buildings will be more than 50% full to start the season, and may never get above that as the season plays out. Especially with Covid numbers spiking again.

This will hurt Canadian team owners more than USA . Bettman is an American and so are most of the teams as you mentioned

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

The fact I know that musical reference from 1991 means iwould be decades beyond living with my patents so it was a reference to a song is all. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, mll said:

The escrow balance is expected to increase according Seravalli's projections.  The new US TV deal was less than hoped before the pandemic.

Yes, they had signalled really tiny raises which seem mostly for optics.

The money owed to players will be well above $1 billion and that is going to take quite a bit of time to pay off.  Anyone expecting material increases in the next 2-4 years is likely to be disappointed.  Any small increases to the cap are just going to increase the money owed by the players and probably some new side deal about escrow.

It would be surprising if all the markets were allowed 100% capacity right from the start of the season, so that makes it possible there will be further overpayments to the players this year to add to what they owe already.  The caps on escrow were bargained into the last agreement and starting next year are lower than the actual calculated escrow number I have been since I can remember.

Players complain about escrow, but they are the ones that have been artificially increasing the cap using their escalator clause for years which is what causes most of the escrow.

The only thing that may save the players is that the salary floor/ceiling assume that teams average right at the midpoint between them.  For the past few years MOST teams have spent more than the midpoint meaning players ended up getting overpaid and paying more escrow.  This year it actually looks like quite a few teams are going to be having lower overall cap spending and working on an internal budget.  Adding to that, any new contracts have been structured to be backloaded and avoid the high escrow this year in favour of the capped out 6% going forward where it means more money will stick to their pockets.  Cap is calculated based on AAV, but player HRR share is based on actual dollars spent.  So a lot of players will get artificially underpaid this year in real dollars... but that pushes liability forward in higher escrow/owed money by the players in future years.

Not sure if I made any sense there in trying to translate it.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, CR7 said:

Texas north, don't doubt us lol

Be glad the average Canadian is pro-vaccine, and the majority (even if its just above 50%) are vaccinated. I'm in the South (Arkansas) where the red-necks still figure its a government conspiracy to control them. Hah! Yeah, this COVID is controlling them right into the grave. The second largest metro area in Arkansas is now turning people away from the hospitals; no beds, no ventilators, not enough staff. Memphis (in Tennessee) started this today also. Little Rock (where I am) is having to take the excess from them and we are about 24-48 hours away from capacity. I've got friends in the hospitals, mostly nurses, that are saying the morale is horrible, and don't be surprised for a spike in suicide rates. 

And, oh...CR7...I wouldn't be comparing anyone to Texas. Down here, that state is called Tex-Ass. Stick to being from Alberta...its a lot better!

9 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

I'm in the South (Arkansas) where the red-necks still figure its a government conspiracy to control them.

Thats awesome. Who needs to spend billions on a vaccine, when you can control someone with a red hat and a free rally. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Thats awesome. Who needs to spend billions on a vaccine, when you can control someone with a red hat and a free rally. 

Not that Biden is any better. He has problems remembering his own name, at times. The best candidates, as far as I was concerned, never made it to the primaries...or even ran. 

And since this thread is actually about next year's salary cap, that 1M could mean a difference. You never know. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1