The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jets re-sign Neal Pionk

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Holy crap!  For the Oinkster?  

Our Poolman contract looks damned good, especially compared to that.

We win again!  

Poink is a good player, would love him here but this does seem to be the year of paying for potential. He has turned into a pretty key piece for them tho. 

10 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

First normal contract for a defencemen I’ve seen in a while. Underpaid when you consider what some of these other clowns got 

Very fair value and even a bit surprising when you look at the other contracts for sure. They (the others) make OEL look underpaid too ::D

Winnipeg looks to have a pretty good team this year on paper at least.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Poink is a good player, would love him here but this does seem to be the year of paying for potential. He has turned into a pretty key piece for them tho. 

He was on pace for 49 points over 82 last year and 52 the year before. 26 years old, right shot, 2 way, big minute defender. This is great value right now, potential would be a bonus but the status quo would be just fine.

Edited by coryberg
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, coryberg said:

He was on pace for 49 points over 82 last year and 52 the year before. 26 years old, right shot 2 way defender. This is great value right now, potential would be a bonus bit the status quo would be great as well.

Sure but you're projecting from the North division numbers.. I wouldn't be all that comfortable with that. 

I don't hate the contract and I really like the player, just seems maybe 1 mil overpaid to me right now. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Sure but you're projecting from the North division numbers.. I wouldn't be all that comfortable with that. 

I don't hate the contract and I really like the player, just seems maybe 1 mil overpaid to me right now. 

Actually the year 52 point paced season was against the entire league

3 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Actually the year 52 point paced season was against the entire league

I'm not a big fan of using 'pace' to judge players, I think you can get into over valuing players with that. How many times was Jake on 'pace" to be better than what he is? 

41 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not a big fan of using 'pace' to judge players, I think you can get into over valuing players with that. How many times was Jake on 'pace" to be better than what he is? 

I get the hesitance to use "points per game" numbers to extrapolate expected performance of players but I think that over a large sample size, it can still be useful.  It's not a terrible metric even if it's not one specific metric that should be given a lot of weight in an evaluation since there are a lot of other factors that affect "pace" including usage.  

For example, prior to joining the Canucks, JT Miller's production was lower than what he has achieved here but he also had pretty different usage.  Miller's consistent productiveness in different roles over several seasons coupled with his overall skillset provided confidence that he could at least replicate that if not exceed it if he was deployed differently (which he was and which he did).

To your point about Virtanen, I agree that at times his production was at a "pace" that raised hopes for fans, particularly for the 2019-2020 regular season.  Digging down into the details however, there were quite a few people who pointed out that there were strong reasons to question his ability to replicate that production, and they were ultimately proven to be right.  I'll admit that I was one of the fans rooting for Virtanen to be able to maintain and grow his offensive productivity after 2019-2020, though I didn't think he had yet proven himself to be a consistent top-9 player.  All this combined with just general concerns from the on-ice eye test and recurring issues around training camp definitely placed a lot of red flags that outweighed any "pace" based arguments.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I get the hesitance to use "points per game" numbers to extrapolate expected performance of players but I think that over a large sample size, it can still be useful.  It's not a terrible metric even if it's not one specific metric that should be given a lot of weight in an evaluation since there are a lot of other factors that affect "pace" including usage.  

For example, prior to joining the Canucks, JT Miller's production was lower than what he has achieved here but he also had pretty different usage.  Miller's consistent productiveness in different roles over several seasons coupled with his overall skillset provided confidence that he could at least replicate that if not exceed it if he was deployed differently (which he was and which he did).

To your point about Virtanen, I agree that at times his production was at a "pace" that raised hopes for fans, particularly for the 2019-2020 regular season.  Digging down into the details however, there were quite a few people who pointed out that there were strong reasons to question his ability to replicate that production, and they were ultimately proven to be right.  I'll admit that I was one of the fans rooting for Virtanen to be able to maintain and grow his offensive productivity after 2019-2020, though I didn't think he had yet proven himself to be a consistent top-9 player.  All this combined with just general concerns from the on-ice eye test and recurring issues around training camp definitely placed a lot of red flags that outweighed any "pace" based arguments.

that's good examples, I don't mind it in the context of a bigger analysis like you're doing. On its own I find it can be really misleading. 

55 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

49 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Okay, how about this: In his first season in Winnipeg(19-20), he was 13th in league-wide scoring for defensemen. While playing over 22 minutes and solid defense (not against the North division)

Last year he was 21st in league-wide scoring for D, again while playing solid D and over 22 minutes per night

He's a '+' player, has positive possession numbers and is an all-around solid player. (Being right-handed doesn't hurt either).

6 mil is a fair deal, he's a legit top pair D

8 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Okay, how about this: In his first season in Winnipeg(19-20), he was 13th in league-wide scoring for defensemen. While playing over 22 minutes and solid defense (not against the North division)

Last year he was 21st in league-wide scoring for D, again while playing solid D and over 22 minutes per night

He's a '+' player, has positive possession numbers and is an all-around solid player. (Being right-handed doesn't hurt either).

6 mil is a fair deal, he's a legit top pair D

yeah maybe. Like I said I like the player 

• Cheers 1