The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which GOALIE in their prime are you taking?

Rate this topic

Which GOALIE in their prime are you taking?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

I went with Dryden.  Probably my original favourite goalie.

Only played 8 years in the NHL, won a major award in seven of those seasons.

1 Conn Smythe

1 Calder

5 Vezinas

6 Stanley Cups

No doubt he was one of the all time greats. I just question how prime Dryden would perform in todays NHL. 

7 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I went with Dryden.  Probably my original favourite goalie.

Only played 8 years in the NHL, won a major award in seven of those seasons.

1 Conn Smythe

1 Calder

5 Vezinas

6 Stanley Cups

Dryden's career was pretty unreal - and his career sp is right where Haseks was...Would be better if he didn't let some in on purpose to challenge his team.   Winning a cup as a rookie goalie against that powerhouse Boston team ... well Hasek never did that.    I was tempted to take Roy given few goalies were as great when the chips were down.   He won a cup as a rookie with a pretty good team in 86, but the 93 team one could argue was worse then the Buffalo team that lost to Dallas/Hull.. I watched both playoffs, ten OT wins is a record that won't ever be broken, and his best playoffs were better the Haseks.   I wouldn't argue with anyone old enough to have watched Sawchuk either ... he won series with under 1GAA.. If that's not Hasek level stuff i don't know what is.  

However i do think that nobody was as good as Hasek for a period of 4 maybe 5 years though.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

I went with Brodeur with some reservation, I mean there are so many great goalies on that list.

Hard to differentiate. 

I will say that Hasek was crazy, but his draw was that he flopped around like a fish out of water and was really entertaining.

But there were money goalies like Grant Fuhr, Garry Cheevers,  and Ken Dryden, who played big in big games. 

Single game............Hasek

Career......................Brodeur

• Vintage 2

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Roy in the playoffs was unstoppable. I'd pick him over Hasek by a hair. Three Conn Smythes are unmatched.

AJ if it came to careers i'd have picked Roy ahead of everyone else.   He battled against some pretty great goalies both in MTL and in COL...beating Broduer in a game seven is one of the deciding points on where he's ranked (one spot ahead of Broduer) by the THN.   The fact he did it late in his career is also a testament to his greatness ... his SP actually got better with age too.   He's my honourable mention with Dryden.   Glad someone brought him up too.   Parent and Esposito were greats back then too but he did exactly what Roy did too, against a better team as a rookie (not that CAL we're chumps they for sure were not, the rare time EDM slipped they were right there to pick up where they left off).   Boston however, was approaching the peak of their powers - and the "Giraffe" made fools of them.   Jean Beliveau got to go out with a bang as a result.   

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I went with Brodeur with some reservation, I mean there are so many great goalies on that list.

Hard to differentiate. 

I will say that Hasek was crazy, but his draw was that he flopped around like a fish out of water and was really entertaining.

But there were money goalies like Grant Fuhr, Garry Cheevers,  and Ken Dryden, who played big in big games. 

Single game............Hasek

Career......................Brodeur

Broduer going head to head with Roy ... who came out on top again? Broduer was an amazing goalie too.  But i feel his systems and teammates made his life too easy.   What he did later after he lost those guys was simply incredible though.  For sure a top 1-5 guy all-time. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, grumpyone said:

should've included Tretiak. I know he never played in the NHL but that was only due to politics. 

I thought that too when i saw list, But now thinking Team Canada never took this series seriously enough before a game was even played, and were just a thrown together out of shape, smoking, beer drinkers that thought this would be fun in the off season

Team Canada then was  just like a beer league team thrown together compared to the well trained in shape Team Canada teams that play now

Russia had the advantage and had been together practicing and studying Canada, while Canada knew nothing about Tretiak and Russia hockey and never trained for this series

He was a great goalie, but he had no NHL exposure or longevity to get a book on weaknesses to exploit, so for me i would put him behind others for that reason

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I thought that too when i saw list, But now thinking Team Canada never took this series seriously enough before a game was even played, and were just a thrown together out of shape, smoking, beer drinkers that thought this would be fun in the off season

Team Canada then was  just like a beer league team thrown together compared to the well trained in shape Team Canada teams that play now

Russia had the advantage and had been together practicing and studying Canada, while Canada knew nothing about Tretiak and Russia hockey and never trained for this series

He was a great goalie, but he had no NHL exposure or longevity to get a book on weaknesses to exploit, so for me i would put him behind others for that reason

Didn't help they banned Hull because he went to the WHA with some of our other players either.   Hull was an animal right until the day he retired.   That was a tough league.   If Canada had Hull and the rest of their best guys, this wouldn't have been as much of a thing as it turned into. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I agree with your opinion on the Russians, and that Team Canada took it pretty lightly, but Team Canada was full of HHOF members, so hardly a "Beer league team"

Out of shape, smoking, beer drinking HHOF'ers..............yes! LOL

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I agree with your opinion on the Russians, and that Team Canada took it pretty lightly, but Team Canada was full of HHOF members, so hardly a "Beer league team"

It makes me laugh ... sure some of these guys smoked.    Lafluer needed his butts i guess.   On Lafleur.   He had crazy speed too.   Like incredible speed.   And a great shot and amazing hands.   People are idiots if they think the athletes today could whoop these guys. 2/3 would be in the infirmary by the second period. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I wasn't referring to their talent they possessed. i was referring to attitude, the training and seriousness of the tournament when they signed on

They never trained personally or as a team or were in shape, they went as a all-star team thinking it would be fun like a beer drinking team

I remember watching Espo after Vancouver just sweating in his speech, they had no idea how tough this would be and meant to Canada after games started playing. It was to be redemption for Canada losing in Olympics because our best couldn't play in them and then it turned political and pride with lots of pressure on players who weren't as prepared as the Russians were

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, hammertime said:

No debate he was a great goalie. That being said I also think historically he is over rated when compared to other great goalies. The system his team played largely contributed to his success of course they go hand and hand.  However take prime Ryan Miller who didn't even make this list and put him on that team and maybe he's in conversation for greatest of all time. 

Yeah but you were crazy if you dumped the puck in when he was in net. 

He'd get a shot on goal! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Brodeur, not only a great goalie. They had to make rules so he couldn't handle the puck as well as he did. (The trapezoid) 

My thoughts exactly.... Brodeur for me as well.

• Cheers 1