The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which is the greatest TRADE in Vancouver Canucks history?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Which is the greatest TRADE in Vancouver Canucks history?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Also, since we are talking trades - Vancouver is linked to two of the top ten most lopsided trades in NHL history.   Actually two top fiveish ones.    First Neely .... then we got some retribution trading Stajanov for Naslund.   Pederson was actually a pretty good player though .... but still we got bent over on that one.  

Stajanov...well Naslund had more first team all-star selections then he scored NHL goals after the trade lol.   That's so lopsided the table tilted the moment the ink was dry.  3 in a row to be exact.   So close to our first Art Ross too...and a Pearson award.    

The best/worst trade in NHL history?   MTL traded three guys that never played a game to their nemesis - Boston - for a top 7 all-time goalie in Dryden.   Just think about that for a minute.   Imagine what sort of dynasty Boston would of had (for sure one more cup at the very least given as a rookie Dryden stoned them) with Dryden instead.   4-6  probably.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Lots of good choices, but I went with the trade that landed us Ronning, Courtnall, and Momesso. So much of those great 90s teams in one trade.

That was a key trade.  Same with acquiring McLean and Adams...one of the early 90's best tenders and money in the playoffs.   Losing Nedved for sure hurt the team, but it did give us Hedican for some time, and Brown who made the pass and played great for us in 94.    Those three trades gave us the magical run.   Momesso was probably my favourite middle six player all-time.    Guy looked like he was always hungover, and mad.   Scored goals and protected Radar i mean Ronning (we called Ronning Radar, because he looked like that guy from M.A.S.H.)... Courtnall was also one fugly dude.    That was my favourite trade.    I hope the one JB just made to clear cap will be just as important for this team. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Which is the greatest TRADE in Vancouver Canucks history?

Oooh I like this one.  Lots of good trades in our history.  But which one is the best?  Remember you can only pick one...  :)

Some of those Swedish trades could top the list...  Enjoy...  :)

Cracking job you are doing with all the polls to keep the faithful entertained... Kudos +1

PS. my affiliation with Canucks is nowhere near long enough so can't really comment, but I think, if we had won a cup, anything leading to that would have been the best trade.

Since we haven't I like the Daniel Sedin trade, as well as Erhoff for nothing.

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Cracking job you are doing with all the polls to keep the faithful entertained... Kudos +1

PS. my affiliation with Canucks is nowhere long enough so really comment, but I think, if we had won a cup, anything leading to that would have been the best trade.

Since we haven't I like the Daniel Sedin trade, as well as Erhoff for nothing.

That's ok.   One thing is for sure - we've had some great ones, and some really bad ones too.   Actually think overall, aside from Quin we haven't made enough big trades along the way to improve the club.   Quin was and will be until we win a cup, the master trader. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's ok.   One thing is for sure - we've had some great ones, and some really bad ones too.   Actually think overall, aside from Quin we haven't made enough big trades along the way to improve the club.   Quin was and will be until we win a cup, the master trader. 

Yeah over the years, I have been enlightening myself through lots of highly valued posters here on CDC, both for good and bad issues within the club. And Quinn sure was a master at trading and team building.

If we go on to do well with this team, the OEL + Garland trade for scraps and a first, could go down as the best trade of the lot... yeah I know dreamland, but sure why not aim for the stars :P

Edited by spook007
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yeah over the years, I have been enlightening myself through lots of highly valued posters here on CDC, both for good and bad issues within the club.

If we go on to do well with this team, the OEL + Garland trade for scraps and a first, could go down as the best trade of the lot... yeah I know dreamland, but sure why not aim for the stars :P

The metric that also needs to evaluated later - is what impact OEL had, Garland but also how it helped the team sign our young studs.   A deep playoff run over the next three years will for sure make it look great pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

The metric that also needs to evaluated later - is what impact OEL had, Garland but also how it helped the team sign our young studs.   A deep playoff run over the next three years will for sure make it look great pretty quickly. 

Yes true. trades are not easy to properly evaluate instantly... Some work out and some don't.

Few really makes a huge difference. it remains to be seen, but I choose to be optimistic...like the village idiot...:towel:

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Gotta be Naslund,

Luongo, Bertuzzi, Sedins were also all good trade, but the Canucks also gave some significant pieces the other way.  Naslund was just a plain robbery

Naslund and Lu were the ones, in particular, that I had a hard time NOT picking.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1