The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sheldon Dries | #15 | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

17 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Sheldon Dries is tied for the AHL goals lead with 35. He also had an assist last night. In his last four games, he’s had four goals and an assist.

And this is why Ryan Johnson is up with the big club and a guy that JR really respects.

What Johnson has done in a short time with Abbotsford is quite impressive. The Canucks don’t exactly have high end prospects down there yet he’s managed to build a team that already looks to be more successful than Utica the past few years.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 9:36 AM, DeNiro said:

And this is why Ryan Johnson is up with the big club and a guy that JR really respects.

What Johnson has done in a short time with Abbotsford is quite impressive. The Canucks don’t exactly have high end prospects down there yet he’s managed to build a team that already looks to be more successful than Utica the past few years.

Aquaman needed to start Abby with a winning team to draw the fans. He's done that but I question if his high end AHL players will continue

On 4/26/2022 at 3:33 PM, Fred65 said:

Aquaman needed to start Abby with a winning team to draw the fans. He's done that but I question if his high end AHL players will continue

The pipeline's not too shabby, though.  2 new faces, at least.  My boy, Linus, will step right in and together with Klim form 2/3rds of a potent line (assuming Karlsson doesn't claim a big club spot right out of training camp).   Toni Utunen will ink his ELC and be groomed in Abby for a future NHL shut down D role.

On 4/26/2022 at 5:33 PM, Fred65 said:

Long term I would assume the hope is the talent in Abbotsford will consist mostly of Canucks draft picks with less reliance on older AHL talent, but there will always be a place for those guys.  I could see high end AHL players wanting to play in Abbotsford.  Even just as a location to play, it's close to Vancouver which might be attractive for players and their families.  Even though there's a high cost of living, some players do move around so living in Metro Vancouver/Abbotsford for a period of their life might be nice.  The Canucks also still aren't particularly deep so there could be opportunity to get NHL time.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Long term I would assume the hope is the talent in Abbotsford will consist mostly of Canucks draft picks with less reliance on older AHL talent, but there will always be a place for those guys.  I could see high end AHL players wanting to play in Abbotsford.  Even just as a location to play, it's close to Vancouver which might be attractive for players and their families.  Even though there's a high cost of living, some players do move around so living in Metro Vancouver/Abbotsford for a period of their life might be nice.  The Canucks also still aren't particularly deep so there could be opportunity to get NHL time.  

If i had a spot to play hockey in maybe SanDiego ould be my choice :)

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

One good thing is their team owner just happens to be a real estate mogul so I’m sure they have ways to find some good living arrangements for these guys. Good point tho, I don’t think an AHL vet on a 70 k a year deal would be able to afford to buy anywhere around the area. 

8 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

If i had a spot to play hockey in maybe SanDiego ould be my choice :)

lol, fair enough.  There are other neat cities to live in on an AHL salary, but I think Abbotsford could still be quite attractive, even with high housing costs in the region.  At the end of the day I think the hope is that the Canucks will draft well enough to stock the team mostly with prospects who are working their way up and to keep a few AHL veterans around to mentor and set good examples for a life in pro hockey.  Hopefully there won't be as much of a need to stack the team with productive AHL veterans.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Sheldon Dries jumps into 353rd in all-time Canuck scoring with his assist tonight.  Lol, took me a while to find his thread, but as the highest mover up the all-time scoring list, he gets a post.

352.  Matt Pettinger LW 29 5 4 9
353.  Sheldon Dries C 24 4 5 9
354.  Mark Wotton D 42 3 6 9
354.  Glen Richardson LW 24 3 6 9
356.  Aaron Miller D 57 1 8 9
357.  Jacob Markstrom G 229 0 9 9
358.  Michael Chaput C 77 4 4 8
358.  Jayson Megna RW 59 4 4 8
358.  Ken Berry LW 27 4 4 8
358.  Rob Tudor RW 26 4 4 8
  • Like 1