The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Spencer Martin | #30 | G

-Vintage Canuck-

What also is pretty crazy is I think we are seeing in real time the Ian Clark affect on this guy. Go to the top of this page and look at Spencers previous GAA thru his career. Really not that great even at the ECHL level. Just shows how important Clark is to this team, including Sandman down in the farm. Both have shown our goalies some amazing guidance. Sandman is Clark’s right hand man on the farm and works with our goalies there while Clark focuses on our NHL club.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

What also is pretty crazy is I think we are seeing in real time the Ian Clark affect on this guy. Go to the top of this page and look at Spencers previous GAA thru his career. Really not that great even at the ECHL level. Just shows how important Clark is to this team, including Sandman down in the farm. Both have shown our goalies some amazing guidance. Sandman is Clark’s right hand man on the farm and works with our goalies there while Clark focuses on our NHL club.

Looking at Martin, I'd probably try and sign him for another 2 or 3 years as backup for Demko.

• Upvote 1

On 1/27/2022 at 1:33 AM, canuckpuckluck1 said:

Playing himself into the back up role for the Canucks next year and at a good bargain price too! Just what the Canucks need.

Maybe a little too early to give him the role but if he continues to play well in Abby maybe he will earn the role. Would be an absolute bonus if the Canucks could flip Halak for a pick and avoid the performance bonus

Would be an underhand, dishonorable move that would undermine our reputation for years to come when trying to sign UFAs

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

Would be an underhand, dishonorable move that would undermine our reputation for years to come when trying to sign UFAs

Yeah, I really don't understand why people think that kind of move is a good idea. Benning and Halak negotiated the deal in good faith, it was structured so we could fit him in capwise. You honour the deal, and he's played well anyway.

If he moves it's because he wants to, if he doesn't want to he'll play. How you treat your players matters.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Googlie said:

Don't see the problem with it, if it's too a contender for a shot at playoffs/cup play. Pittsburgh could probably use him (among other teams).

If he'd like to play playoff hockey, I'd have zero issues with management offering up the opportunity, and I doubt he would either. He gets to play for a cup, we get out of the cap penalty. What's the problem?

If it's to Buffalo or something, sure I could see the problem :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I really don't understand why people think that kind of move is a good idea. Benning and Halak negotiated the deal in good faith, it was structured so we could fit him in capwise. You honour the deal, and he's played well anyway.

If he moves it's because he wants to, if he doesn't want to he'll play. How you treat your players matters.

Guess what. Benning isnt here anymore. I mean Vegas has no loyalty either so. Hockey is a business after all. 

5 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Guess what. Benning isnt here anymore. I mean Vegas has no loyalty either so. Hockey is a business after all. 

Doesn't matter, you honor a contract. He's got a NMC, he's not going anywhere unless he wants to. Try and strong-arm him by threatening not to play him and I guarantee his agent goes public.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Doesn't matter, you honor a contract. He's got a NMC, he's not going anywhere unless he wants to. Try and strong-arm him by threatening not to play him and I guarantee his agent goes public.

Then so be it. UFA's will go to teams that are winning anyways. And lets say hypothetically (but I dont think its realistic) the coach wants Martin as a backup to develop him in the NHL. Halak is gone after this season anyways. Nonetheless, I do think Halak will be here in Van this season unless somehow JR convinces him to a trade. 

Edited by DontMessMe

8 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Then so be it. UFA's will go to teams that are winning anyways. 

Yup, and if we want to be one of those sooner than later we'd better treat our players well. Integrity, professionalism, those sorts of things.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Spencer Martin leads all Abbotsford goaltenders with 10 wins this season, while registering a 2.37 GAA and .920 SV%.

Martin is a keeper.  Looking like he's earning himself a 2-3 year contract and a back up role with the big team.  Time to move on from DiPietro before his value becomes 0, if it isn't already.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Martin is a keeper.  Looking like he's earning himself a 2-3 year contract and a back up role with the big team.  Time to move on from DiPietro before his value becomes 0, if it isn't already.

Might be time to move Demko and go with Martin.  Imagine the return Demko would bring!  

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Sounds like Martin is doing for the Johnny Canucks what Demko is doing for the Vancouver Canucks.  You know, hold down the fort while the rest of the team checks out.

I think Martin is a UFA after this year, isn't he?  He's going to get a good contract offer from an NHL team for sure.  Too bad.  We messed up not keeping Marky and trading Demko for big assets after the bubble.  And it sure looks like we are missing out again.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Martin is a UFA after this year, isn't he?  He's going to get a good contract offer from an NHL team for sure.  Too bad.  We messed up not keeping Marky and trading Demko for big assets after the bubble.  And it sure looks like we are missing out again.  

How are "we" missing out?  You really want to pin the near term future on a goalie who had a spectacular 3 game run in the NHL when you have arguably one of the top five goalies in the NHL backstopping and stealing games for you? 

Marky may be the best goalie in the NHL this season, but that wouldn't have served the Canucks needs/timelines.  And you may be the only alien here that is lamenting Demko as an asset for the Canucks. By the time Canucks graduate from pretender to contender status, Marky will be all but coming to the end of his run as a top five NHL goalie, whereas Demko may very well be the leading Vezina and Conn Smythe candidate.

I'm sure Spencer Martin will garner a lot of interest in the UFA market (probably in the realm of 2022 version of Chris Dreidger).  At the very least, JR/PA should be talking to Martin's agent about an extension (multi-year, one way deal with surety that the no. 2 position is his to lose).  You may also want to keep in mind that pro hockey is littered with goalies with spectacular one season performances in the AHL to never amount to much in the NHL (e.g., Garrett Sparks, Dany Sabourin are two that come to mind...and it took Marky 4 seasons to become a legit NHL goalie after his unforgettable season in Utica).

Obviously you and I differ on Demko's status as an untouchable.