The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

36 minutes ago, mll said:

Green says Di Giuseppe was one of the good surprises at camp.  He likes his mind for the game and says he's past that rookie stage.  Green has kept him alongside Dickinson pretty much all through camp.  

With Sutter and Motte absent they need PKers and Green says it's easier to teach how to PK to more veteran players.  Di Giuseppe has less than 10 minutes of PK time in 201 NHL games but he's apparently played it a lot in practice.

yet he’s done absolutely nothing in the games and the penalty kill has been terrible, and practice?? 

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

44 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

yet he’s done absolutely nothing in the games and the penalty kill has been terrible, and practice?? 

Nothing? Been terrible? 

You best call the coach and Jumbo and tell them your expert opinion

Go canucks go 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Not happy about the roster forwards and defence.

If Green is still giving tryouts to guys that arent going to make the team, what is he doing???

It's impeative we come out strong this season (especially as start the season on a roadtrip)

If they look confused and disjointed playing with their linemates, this really is on the coachign staff for not having a productive camp.

One the other hand, if all these tryouts producs the best roster we can assemble, I guess Green knows what he is doing.

Not sure where  I currently sit regarding his decision to still have a bunch of AHL players in the lineup at this point.

Maybe he's planning on using the final preseason game for the real roster. After that, they have 4 days of practice to get ready for Game 1.

Perhaps that's enough time for Green to sort out issues he saw from the last preseason game

This is strike one for Green. 

Just heard about big Gadj. Kid deserved more looks here in the pre-season after putting hard work in to become leaner and faster. Hope the best for the kid, but at the same time I hope this doesn’t come back to bite us in the butt. 

Saw that Juolevi isn’t playing tonight. Might have to start revising my thinking he’s probably on the final roster. You would think if he’s on the roster you’d want to him to be building chemistry with his eventual partner, yet either he doesn’t play like tonight, or when he does he’s paired with someone like Bourroughs. I also get the impression that the Canucks are just waiting for Rathbone to put in a great game at both ends of the ice and then they put him on the team. No pressure kid. :lol: Then again maybe they’ve already pretty much decided OJ’s on the team and that’s why he’s not playing. This 3rd pair LD thing is a tough thing to call. 

• Like 1

My hope is they've already decided to send Rathbone to Abbotsford, but are just giving him a lot of opportunity at playing NHL games, keep him hungry while he develops. At this point, I don't see him being much better than Troy Stecher. If he's as good as Stecher, that is. Stecher's battle is legendary (in my head). 

Can't help feeling a little down over losing both Lind and now Gadjovic... Kind of had a feeling they were going to be part of our future, or at least Gadjovic.

Green will be public enemy no 1, should Gadj do well in San Jose...

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

Definitely sucks losing Gadjovich, I've been a huge fan and wanted to see him play on the team ever since his D+1 year in Guelph. But this was an unfortunate inevitability, maybe could of tried to sneak him down on a later day during preseason but bottom line is he wasn't making the team this year. Right now I see the top 9 forwards as (in no particular order):

Miller

Pettersson 

Boeser

Garland

Horvat

Höglander 

Dickinson 

Pearson

Podkolzin 

That leaves room for 3 more to make the team and actually get to play games and at least 2 of them need to be able play on the PK (I know, Greens old school mentality, I'm not a huge fan of it either). Di Giuseppe has looked really good overall and far better than Gadjovich in regards to defensive responsibilities (offensively Gadj has looked better as a net front presence). Dowling and Petan can both play C which isn't an option for Gadj and as for the last spot, Bailey and Highmore are both faster, more up tempo players. And that's not even bringing in Motte (who is close to returning) and Sutter (if he's ever healthy again) who are both locks for the roster when they are ready to go as well as MacEwen who is still an option but I do think Gadj has looked better so far this preseason.

Simply put, there is no room for Gadj on the roster this year unless you wanted him rotting away night after night in the press box. Even if he made the team as the extra forward out of camp he would of been sent down once Motte was ready. He was definitely far better served playing big minutes nightly in Abby waiting for a chance to get called up due to injuries. It just sucks that he was claimed off waivers but I'm willing to bet that it won't be the first time he hits the waiver wire this season.

Again, just wanted to add for a third time, it really sucks we lost him.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

imagine thinking that results in preseason games were a better indicator than performance in practice. 

clueless. 

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not sure I get it?

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Poolman

Hunt, Juolevi or Rathbone - Schenn or Burroughs

There's 3 guys battling for that last LD pairing spot. Who knows what they'll do if Hamonic doesn't show up. 

if Green is going to go with 8 d, I think OJ may have his spot secured and the last sport battle is between Hunt and Rathbone.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Can't help feeling a little down over losing both Lind and now Gadjovic... Kind of had a feeling they were going to be part of our future, or at least Gadjovic.

Green will be public enemy no 1, should Gadj do well in San Jose...

Yes.   This is just upsetting as a fan.   You want your young players to make the NHL out of camp and he did enough to pass a few guys, even vets in our lineup.   Not cool. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, JM_ said:

if Green is going to go with 8 d, I think OJ may have his spot secured and the last sport battle is between Hunt and Rathbone.

I think that since we start the season on an six game road trip, going with eight D is likely.

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Vintage 1

Starting to feel like it is a little sus that Rathbone is playing every game and getting so many opportunities.

Conspiracy theory time: they are padding his minutes to up his value to trade him for a RD defensive defenceman. CDC will explode!

3 minutes ago, VforVasili said:

Starting to feel like it is a little sus that Rathbone is playing every game and getting so many opportunities.

Conspiracy theory time: they are padding his minutes to up his value to trade him for a RD defensive defenceman. CDC will explode!

I would take Cernak for him and one of our c+ or b- prospects.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

My hope is they've already decided to send Rathbone to Abbotsford, but are just giving him a lot of opportunity at playing NHL games, keep him hungry while he develops. At this point, I don't see him being much better than Troy Stecher. If he's as good as Stecher, that is. Stecher's battle is legendary (in my head). 

Thanks for the laugh. ::D

17 minutes ago, VforVasili said:

Not gonna lie, that thought has crossed my mind of late also.

• Upvote 1

I look at the Gadjovich situation like the Corrado situation.  Pretty much everything is the same, especially CDC having a meltdown.  I learned from the Corrado experiment.  I lost my %$#! at that time.  I'm now looking at the situation as the Canucks are a lot deeper in the forward group, and would've put Gadjovich on waivers anyways when everybody gets healthy.  It sucks to lose him, but we will see what the Canucks really think of him when SJ puts him on waivers again.  We will see if the Canucks try to grab him again.